Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I remember your last topic about preventing fungus.

QuoteQuote:
You definitely don't want to put your lenses inside a ziplock bag, even with silica inside. All you'll get is condensation inside the lenses if the air is 80-90% humidity (not unusual in those places).
Can't say I didn't warned

The risk now that the fungus started growing on the lens is that it will etch the coating after a while.

You might want to do as I said in the last thread: keep the lenses in a well ventilated space, under an incandescent lamp - or better yet, give them an UV-C light bath - before the more radical solution of taking them apart to clean. I've saved a couple used lenses bought on thrift shops with these measures. Avoid keeping it in the dark with silica gel, it does nothing to prevent fungus.

10-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
I remember your last topic about preventing fungus.

Can't say I didn't warned

The risk now that the fungus started growing on the lens is that it will etch the coating after a while.

You might want to do as I said in the last thread: keep the lenses in a well ventilated space, under an incandescent lamp - or better yet, give them an UV-C light bath - before the more radical solution of taking them apart to clean. I've saved a couple used lenses bought on thrift shops with these measures. Avoid keeping it in the dark with silica gel, it does nothing to prevent fungus.
The problem for me is there was no well ventilated space to keep the lenses that was not 95% humidity, I have no AC and it is so wet here. If I had kept them in a ziplock with the silica it would have been better than in my camera bag with silica which allowed the humidity and moisture to penetrate the lenses.

In the ziplock at the moment with ten bags of silica gel (inidicating gel) it seems to be keeping the moisture out. Pretty much the same thing as people have suggested: putting the lenses in a sealed container with some sort of humidity control. Perhaps I can put them under a lamp if that will deliver some UV, I have put them out in the sun already which seemed to help.

I knew there was a risk but didnt realize it would happen in less than two weeks before I could move to an apartment and setup a proper storage solution. I am staying in a cheap guesthouse and there are zero options for storage that dont either put my gear in the super-humid air or allow for easy theft of my items.

Anyways, I will be sending them to get cleaned, it is what it is at this point, with my location and what I have with me there is not much I could have done differently sadly.
10-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
I knew there was a risk but didnt realize it would happen in less than two weeks before I could move to an apartment and setup a proper storage solution
Yeah, the tropics are killer for lenses, doubly so if you're in the middle of rainforest. It's one of the reasons why I want to upgrade all my equipment to WR.

The most important thing though is that while humidity increases the chances of fungus, it's darkness (more specifically, the lack of UV radiation) that allows them to spread. If you manage to keep the lenses under sunlight, or grab the UV-C lamp I talked about, it will help the most.

Good luck!
10-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks I am in a nice new hotel for a conference for a few nights. I have ac and just took all lenses out, caps off and have them sitting where they are getting at least bulb light and some cool dryish air.

10-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
It's one of the reasons why I want to upgrade all my equipment to WR.
You might want give that thread a shot before making such claims: Fungus in my DA* 16-50mm & DA* 50-135mm

WR is not the answer, common sense is.
10-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #21

you can visit LOT Camera Shop. They sell dry cabinet

or you can visit a small camera shop at st. 143 corner 276 ( I bought a dry box here in 2009, still using now)
10-18-2013, 12:59 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mjsn Quote
you can visit LOT Camera Shop. They sell dry cabinet

or you can visit a small camera shop at st. 143 corner 276 ( I bought a dry box here in 2009, still using now)
Great! I will def buy a dry box from them. Do you have any experience with lens cleaning there? Otherwise I will ship the lenses to Eric in the US

Thanks!
10-18-2013, 01:18 AM   #23

as of cleaning lens, I don't have any experience having it cleaned by someone there. I cleaned it by myself . You can also ask the store owner if they do lens cleaning. I think LOT Camera has some trained staff for camera servicing (mostly CanNikon, not sure about Pentax).

10-20-2013, 04:53 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Original Poster
as of cleaning lens, I don't have any experience having it cleaned by someone there. I cleaned it by myself . You can also ask the store owner if they do lens cleaning. I think LOT Camera has some trained staff for camera servicing (mostly CanNikon, not sure about Pentax).
Which dry box did you buy? Was it any good? I looked at a couple the range from $115-160 for a similar size, digital readout and plugin dehumidifiers. I found a store across from Sorya with a sign saying "camera repair" they claim to clean a lot of lenses, I was thinking about trying them. But still a little wary...
10-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #25

I bought my dry box in 2009 in that camera shop at st. 143 corner 276.

This is exactly the same dry box. http://76.my/Malaysia/wonderful-dry-box-db-2820-electronic-moisture-absorber...nnieheng@1.jpg

Probably, similar type of this dry box are now available in other camera shops there. Try checking the branch of LOT camera outside Phsar Thmei (eastern part).

Currently, am still using it (5 years already (y) ). I put 2 camera bodies (K30 and K20D, lens unmounted), 2 zoom lenses (DAL 55-300 & A 35-105), 4 prime lenses (FA 50 1.4, M 28, Voigtlander Color Skopar 20mm, & Jupiter 9) and then the reusable dessicant.

I did not buy the dry cabinet with the digital sensor and dehumidifier since its quit big for my needs and not practical for travel.
10-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #26

I forgot to mentioned the price. I bought the dry box for $25 including the reusable dessicant. Probably the price is higher now.
10-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #27

you may also ask this Phnom Penh photog group https://www.facebook.com/groups/p3.club/

10-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Original Poster
you may also ask this Phnom Penh photog group https://www.facebook.com/groups/p3.club/

Thanks for the info. I saw the small one with the Silica gel but wasnt sure how well it worked. I may just pay the extra to get the nice cabinet as it will mostly stay in my apartment.
10-21-2013, 05:55 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Original Poster
For the record I ended up buying a plugin dry cabinet (30L) with a digital readout and manual controls, brand Hui Tong. I got it from LOT camera on Monivong in Phnom Penh and paid $110.

I have only had it plugged in for an hour or two and it has already brought the humidity down from 80% (!!) to 50%, hopefully it will continue to go down to ~40% which I believe to be pretty optimal. The temperature is ~29 degrees C, hopefully that wont affect much as there isnt much I can do about that.

I must say it feels good to have this level of security, and I wish I had bought it sooner but it did cost more than I expected to pay. That said it seems like a pretty solid piece of gear. I will also try LOT for lens cleaning, even though the lenses dont look nearly as bad as they did when I started this thread. I will start with the 43 and if it comes back well cleaned and functioning as it should I will let them work on the 31/77. I will update this thread with the results
10-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #30
Pentaxian

I had no idea these dry boxes even existed.

I wish you luck with your lenses Deimos, I'm very glad to see things aren't so disastrous as you first thought. The photos I've seen you post recently from the FA limiteds have been superb.