Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Adapter K and "jiggle"

So I've got a Pentax Adapter K and a few M42 lenses for it. Mostly they're short ones or with wide bases. (Or both.)

However, I recently got my hands on a Meyer Telemegor 180mm f5.5. It's both longer than the other lenses and very narrow about the base. (Probably about as narrow at that point as the Industar-50-2, in that it's narrow enough that it covers the spring holes in the adapter but not much else.) With it on I'm noticing a lot of small movement when I focus, adjust the aperture, or otherwise grip the lens. Looking, it appears that though the adapter is secure, it moves a bit—less than a mm—in the bayonet mount resulting in this movement in the lens. (It may happen on the other lenses as well, but I haven't noticed.)

So, my questions:
1) Is this normal for the Mount Adapter K?
and
2) Are there other adapters that allow infinity focus, won't damage the mount, and show less play when a narrow lens is attached?

Last edited by g026r; 10-11-2013 at 07:37 PM.
10-11-2013, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Take a look at this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/216718-...s-turning.html
10-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Your post about the Meyer lenses is exactly what's happening here as well, from what I can tell.

Are you still using the rubber washer as a solution?
10-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Your post about the Meyer lenses is exactly what's happening here as well, from what I can tell.

Are you still using the rubber washer as a solution?
Yes I am. So generic cheap m42 adapter with spring removed + washer. The generic adapters do not have the inherent looseness of the official ones, but they are also just about impossible to use if you want to leave the adapter on the body. You must remove the spring and they should be just be screwed on the lens and kept there. I usually buy these from ebay seller Roxsen:

M42 Screw Lens to Pentax K Mount PK Adapter Infinity K100D K x 30 01 K 5 K 7 R | eBay

His supplier is not necessarily constant, but I've never had a problem with the ones I've gotten from him. I've ordered a handful of them on a few separate occasions. But I've had others from other sources where the lens would end up mounted upside-down -- it is a bit of a crapshoot. If you are going to use a lot of m42 lenses I recommend you track down one official Pentax adapter for testing new (to you) lenses or seldom-used lenses, and then a handful of generics to put on your favorite m42 lenses semi-permanently.

At least that is what I do.

I've heard mixed reviews about the Telemegor, interested to see how that works for you. I love these two Orestegors I've got. But yeah, tough to use until I put the washers on them. If you find yourself sticking to close subjects and don't need infinity, one of these is easiest and most secure of all:

Macro M42 Lens to Pentax K Adapter K10D K200D K 7 K R | eBay

That model has a pretty thin top flange so it *almost* makes it to infinity but not quite.

10-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Its called "Kjiggle"

And you got to pronounce it right.
10-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It also causes strange picture effects.

Broken Joint | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
10-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I've heard mixed reviews about the Telemegor, interested to see how that works for you.
I'll post some photos once I've given it a try with a mount I'm happier with.

(And I think I may just buy one of each of those adapters and see which method I prefer working with.)
10-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I recall a few people making a washer out of thin sheet metal, say perhaps a soda pop or beer can. This would cover any light leaks from cutouts on the adapter too.

10-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I've heard mixed reviews about the Telemegor, interested to see how that works for you.
Haven't gotten the new adapters yet, but I did take it out over the (long) weekend anyway. I'll post some shots once I've had a chance to go through them, but initial thoughts:

• There is definitely a light leak with the official adapter. It's not a problem most of the time as it can usually be covered with my fingers, but there were a few cases where the resultant picture was unusable because of it. Definitely needs some modification, even if the jiggle isn't an issue for the user.
  • To say the lens is soft wide open would be being too kind; it's downright mushy. This is particularly noticeable when focused out towards infinity. It starts to get better stopped down to f8, and IMO becomes usable somewhere between f8 and f11 though there's still a kind of dreamy look to a lot of shots. This might be a great portrait lens if it wasn't for the fact it's 180mm.
  • On the positive side, the colours I got with this lens were quite nice IMO.

Last edited by g026r; 10-15-2013 at 08:06 AM.
10-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
1) Is this normal for the Mount Adapter K?
and
2) Are there other adapters that allow infinity focus, won't damage the mount, and show less play when a narrow lens is attached?
1 -- yes

2 -- maybe, though you might want to remove the adapter retention spring. Many third-party adapters a quite stiff in the mount. That is not always a good thing if there is stand-off from the mount flange of the lens from the camera. The genuine Pentax adapter is loose for a reason, that being to allow for appropriate registration distance with the lens flange snugged against the body flange. A non-loose adapter may not provide that.

Steve