Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2013, 02:18 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K-m power supply

I'm no electrician or electronics buff, but I am trying to make an ac adapter power supply for my K-m, sometimes referred to as a battery eliminator.
I have sourced the two AAA - AA battery containers to fit things into, but can't put my finger on the exact amount of Volts and max amps I should be heading for, or indeed a low cost power supply unit to use for this.
Any idea on safe tolerances for the amps? I suspect 2 amps would be fine with 5.5V supply, but that is more guess work than informed thinking

Many thanks

10-12-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The official one is 6.5V and 3A.
10-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
The official one is 6.5V and 3A.
Let's use this as a start. Voltage is the amount of electric pressure in a circuit. 4 AA batteries in series will put out about 4.8 to 6 volts when fresh, depending on the chemistry involved, and the voltage falls slightly as the batteries are used. So 6.5 VDC (volts direct current) reflects the high end of those values. I would suggest that a power supply with an output between 6.0 and 6.5 VDC will do the job.

Amperage is the amount of current available. That last word is important. The official power supply can supply upto 3A (amps). It does not mean the camera's circuit uses 3A continuously. It uses only as much current as needed for the current operation. To play it safe, the power supply for this project should support output of at least 3A. Greater than 3A won't hurt anything; it just means the power supply won't work as hard.

If you want to see how I tackled this project for the K-r, K-30, K-50 or K-500, check out this DIY article:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/217023-build-ac-adapter-pentax-k-r-k-30-a.html
10-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Many thanks guys. I am sure with your contribution I can crack this with alot more confidence. JIm many thanks for clearing that up for me, very well explained!