Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #1

ME Super exposure fault?

Hi, I recently purchased a Pentax ME Super from ebay, camera is in really good condition with no scratches or marks! Have one problem with dark photos, you can see a light horizontal line across them -

Would replacing the light seal perhaps fix this problem or is it more of a shutter fault or something ??

Scott

10-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Looks strange.

I understand these are crops, as the line is not in exactly the same position?
If it is caused by light entering the camera body, it obviously does so only during rewind, otherwise it should look different.

Has it happened only with one film? Just to exclude faulty film or a problem during the development process.

EDIT:
The shutter of the ME Super indeed runs vertically, but the first picture seems to be done with flash. This would mean you used an exposure time >= 1/125, when the second curtain starts moving only after the first curtain has finished. Any uneven moving of a curtain would cause effects looking different

EDIT 2:
With a body >30 years old, replacing the light seals never sounds a bad idea.

Last edited by RKKS08; 10-13-2013 at 02:03 PM.
10-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
Have only tried this film which was fuji superia 200! Havent used a flash and I think those pictures were taken with 125x yes. Although all m photos had that line and i used all different light settings

Scott

10-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

My first answer held some errors, I have modified it probably before your answer.

10-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I cannot add more suggestions.

Maybe another member has seen the same problem, and solved it.
10-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do you see this line on film itself? Another origin of this line could be a bad scanner.

Cheers
10-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It doesn't look like the result of leaking light seals. My guess would be something in the scanning process. You might try posting your question in the Film SLR discussion section. Pentax Film SLR Discussion - PentaxForums.com
10-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter

This is most likely a processing or scanning issue.

Light leaks due to failed seals are unlikely (would not have distinct edges) and I have run through the mental exercises to rule out possible shutter-related causes.

A few questions:
  • Has this happened on more than one roll of film?
  • Is the line present on all frames?
  • Is the line always in the same place?

Steve

10-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #9
Pentaxian

This looks similar to a problem I had with a developing machine in north Louisiana before I moved. Every roll of film had a vertical white line on each picture, the line was not on the film itself, and it happened with 3 different cameras. The third camera was what convinced me it was not my photography, film or cameras. No way would a ME Super, a Zoom 135 (I think) instamatic, and a Minolta SRT 101 all do the exact same thing at the exact same place.

I talked to the manager and showed him the results of 3 different cameras, he agreed it had to be a problem with his machine, he looked back through 6 months of photos waiting to be picked up and found the same lines on every pack of pictures he took off the shelf...He promised me he'd have it fixed...around 6 weeks later I demanded he give me my next roll of developing free, it hadn't been fixed...I never went back.

So...check with the place you had the developing done, I think this looks exactly like what I was seeing with my pictures, but horizontal instead of the vertical lines I was seeing. Looks like their machine has a problem. Also check the negatives closely with a good light and a magnifying glass. If the line is not there, it's in the machine. If possible, try a roll with a completely different camera. Same results should mean it's their machine not your camera.
10-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies everyone! Ill soon be updating with results

10-23-2013, 02:16 AM   #11

Original Poster
An update and end to the thread! It was the shop who developed and processed them!

Thanks for the help
Scott