Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2013, 04:03 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by toc83 Quote
Where can I find these? eBay?
Horusbennu has its own website, but you can also find it on ebay and other such websites.
Zenitar can be found on ebays and other websites, as well, like this one.

I cant guarantee anything about sellers or the quality of these lenses, but some users report that they have good IQ, especially considering the price. Of course, full manual, might have assembly problems, long shipping times, blah blah. Buying cheap has its risks and impracticalities, which is why most people prefer a sure thing like a brand new DA 50mm f1.8. Well, its more of a sure thing, almost nothing is 100% these days..

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I don't know exactly how true it is, but I was told in a photography class once that most 50mm lenses are fairly good because it's an easy lens to design.
That is true, there are very few bad 50mm's, provided they are put together right. Biggest problems with second hand 50mm lenses is that people try to disassemble the lens themselves and then put it back poorly or that its damaged..

Last edited by Na Horuk; 10-17-2013 at 04:18 AM.
10-17-2013, 05:31 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
You can try a Horus Bennu 50mm f1.7, I think they cost under $60 with free shipping.
A M50 f2 will be much better and can easily be found for 30$.

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I don't know exactly how true it is, but I was told in a photography class once that most 50mm lenses are fairly good because it's an easy lens to design.
True. A simple doublet design (which you can find in any lens design database, even the free version of the OSLO lens design software includes one) will give you a good and reliable 50mm lens. Hard to go wrong.

Of course, the newer designs like the Sigma 50mm or the Pentax 55mm are completely different animals.
10-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Horusbennu has its own website, but you can also find it on ebay and other such websites.
Zenitar can be found on ebays and other websites, as well, like this one.

I cant guarantee anything about sellers or the quality of these lenses, but some users report that they have good IQ, especially considering the price. Of course, full manual, might have assembly problems, long shipping times, blah blah. Buying cheap has its risks and impracticalities, which is why most people prefer a sure thing like a brand new DA 50mm f1.8. Well, its more of a sure thing, almost nothing is 100% these days..

That is true, there are very few bad 50mm's, provided they are put together right. Biggest problems with second hand 50mm lenses is that people try to disassemble the lens themselves and then put it back poorly or that its damaged..
Thank you!
10-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

For general photography on a budget, I don't think you can go wrong with a basic M50 f/2. Mine cost $10.

10-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

It really can't hurt to find a M50 f/2 - keep an eye on Craigslist, almost certainly you'll find one for sale.

I've been highly impressed by some images with that, it can rival macro resolution. Sure, an A-series is more convenient and A50 f/2 lenses can sell super cheap on CL as well.
10-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would say that my former Auto Chinon MC 50/1.7 beat my Pentax-A 50/2.0