Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #1

do most of you use a battery adapter ?

My k30 is on its way and I'm not sure how long a charged battery will last and was wondering i it would be a good idea to purchase used battery adapter?

10-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I assume you mean a battery holder that allows the use of AA batteries? My first priority would be to get a spare Li-Ion battery. A fully charged battery typically lasts me through an entire day of shooting with the K-5. However, I don't typically do a lot of video or live view, which will eat through batteries faster. Even then, two batteries should suffice for all but the most intensive use, and the extra battery is easy to carry.
4 AA batteries will last longer, especially if you use lithiums, but the long-term cost is higher. Might be a good choice for critical applications. I sometimes used AA lithiums for important shoots with my K200D, and never came close to exhausting them in a day.

Last edited by donras; 10-18-2013 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Add info on AA use
10-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The spare Li-on is the way I go and I have the AA adapter and batteries just in case there's no place to recharge the Li-ons, if they run out. (And who wants to cary the charger and cord around?)

But like the previous post, 2 lions last me for a whole weeknd of shooting at Disneyland. Again I'm not doing video or live view.
10-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I've never exhausted a single charge on my K-5 either, but it looks like the K-30 uses a smaller battery which is rated for much fewer shots on a single charge.

I was going to suggest cross-posting your question in the K-30 forum for more specific advice, but it looks like there are a couple active threads on this very subject:
Pentax K-30 - PentaxForums.com

Good luck!

10-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Those battergrips are good if u want to have shutter button in potraitpositon in right place. But for power readons only better have extra batteries. They are quick to change when needed. 3 battery is good minimum amount. One in camera, one extra in camerabag ALWAYS and one extra waiting home in closet. When come from shooting outside, replace much used battery with fresh one from closet and charge right away. This way u always have fresh 2 battery with u outside. 1 is not enough always (especially if battery was not 100% full/take much long exposures) and 3 is too much for one day...at leat for me 2 battery is good to carry.
10-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I've had good luck with Wasabi batteries for both my K 10 and K 5. For less than $30 you get 2 batteries, a charger, and an adaptor for charging in your car. What's not to like? See Amazon.
10-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
Those battergrips are good if u want to have shutter button in potraitpositon in right place. But for power readons only better have extra batteries. They are quick to change when needed. 3 battery is good minimum amount. One in camera, one extra in camerabag ALWAYS and one extra waiting home in closet. When come from shooting outside, replace much used battery with fresh one from closet and charge right away. This way u always have fresh 2 battery with u outside. 1 is not enough always (especially if battery was not 100% full/take much long exposures) and 3 is too much for one day...at leat for me 2 battery is good to carry.
I always keep two batteries and not just because of possible discharge of the battery in use. On several occasions, I have had batteries go bad, simply stop being capable of holding a charge. I always guard against this (unlikely) possibility by carrying an extra charged battery.

On the K-20 that I use a lot, I have the battery grip, so the camera always has two freshly charged battery when I go out with it, plus a third charged battery in the bag just in case something happens to the two on-camera batteries. A case of overkill? Yes, probably, but it is inexpensive and not difficult to do . . . and I never miss a shot for lack of a battery!
10-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-30 battery, the DLi-109, doesn't last nearly as long as the batteries in the upper tier cameras in use. The AA battery adapter is handy to have, and the price for Chinese copies make two a good idea. Put Energizer Lithiums in one, they'll last for many years as a standby backup. Then you can use the other one for Eneloops.

10-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Seemed like a good idea, but only used it once

I got the AA adapter for camping trips where I wouldn't have AC power for a few days. I did use it once to make sure it worked, but the rechargeable li-ion battery normally lasts me several days, unless I'm using the built-in flash or taking 300+ pictures a day for an event, so I haven't run into situations yet where I needed the adapter to keep shooting. I keep 4 fresh AA batteries in my pack for an external flash, so if it became necessary, it's available, but when the factory specs say the rechargeable battery is good for 400 pictures, that seems like a pretty reliable number to me.
10-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Btw notice that pentax original batteries have txt made in china nowdays, at least my original K5 batt have. So we are already using chinabatteries. But all cheap china made batts not work properly, one batt of mine cause that K5 can not show pic after take and must restart camera first preview to work. Not Good to use that one...
10-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The K-30 battery, the DLi-109, doesn't last nearly as long as the batteries in the upper tier cameras in use..
The K-30 grabbed a bit of its design from several predecessor cameras. The battery compartment came directly from the K-r. It uses the same battery as the K-r, the same AA battery adapter, the same AC adapter. However, the K-30 uses the same 16MP sensor as the K-5 line (although it only reads 12 versus 14 bits). The K-5 LiON battery has more capacity than the K-r battery for a reason. The result is the K-30 takes fewer shots per charge than either the K-r or the K-5.

All that said, I've never had an issue with battery capacity on my K-30. I can't even tell you how many shots I typically get. I personally opted to use Sanyo eneloop batteries and a international capable travel size Sanyo intelligent charger. I have two AA adapters. If I run out of power mid-day, I swap out a pre-packed adapter as fast as I could swap LiON batteries. But that typically doesn't happen. At the end of every day, I swap in the charged pack and put the partially used pack on the charger. My flashes also use AA eneloops, but don't get high use. Since I only need one charger for all, I actually save space and weight when travelling.

Others have valid reasons for using the LiON batteries with their K-30. I am not trying to steer you one direction of the other. But I am telling you that you need to think through how you will use your camera. If I rarely traveled overnight with my camera and never traveled internationally, I might go for the LiON batteries too.
10-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #12
Forum Member

I bought two of the cheap AA holders off eBay, and one of them regularly shows up as "Battery Depleted", even tho' the AA's in it are freshly charged. They are pretty darn flimsy, and I am guessing that one of the contacts just doesn't make it. I have found sometimes that if I press upward on the closed battery door, it will make contact again, thus I am pretty sure they are of dubious quality. The other AA holder seems to do fine when I use it. I am wanting to get a spare "official" battery, since it never seems to have contact problems at all. It does run out quicker than I'd like, and doesn't last as long as the AA's, but it just seems to give more solid performance.
10-20-2013, 05:35 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beebs Quote
I bought two of the cheap AA holders off eBay, ... They are pretty darn flimsy, and I am guessing that one of the contacts just doesn't make it. I have found sometimes that if I press upward on the closed battery door, it will make contact again.
A lot of readers here have non-OEM AA adapters and have had no problems. The three I have (one converted into an AC adapter) look identical in manufacture to the OEM unit. Sorry to hear that you found one not up to specifications.

May I make a suggesttion? If pressing on the battery door causes your AA adapter to work, if you cover the end of the adapter next to the battery door with a couple layers of duct tape (trimmed to the shape of the adapter), it may serve as a shim and eliminate the problem you have with this adapter.
10-20-2013, 06:16 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beebs Quote
I bought two of the cheap AA holders off eBay, and one of them regularly shows up as "Battery Depleted", even tho' the AA's in it are freshly charged. They are pretty darn flimsy, and I am guessing that one of the contacts just doesn't make it. I have found sometimes that if I press upward on the closed battery door, it will make contact again, thus I am pretty sure they are of dubious quality. The other AA holder seems to do fine when I use it. I am wanting to get a spare "official" battery, since it never seems to have contact problems at all. It does run out quicker than I'd like, and doesn't last as long as the AA's, but it just seems to give more solid performance.
I have had this happen also, more often in cold weather which does indicate it could be a bit "short" of spec. Recently I bought the official Pentax version, it has happened with it a few times also.

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
A lot of readers here have non-OEM AA adapters and have had no problems. The three I have (one converted into an AC adapter) look identical in manufacture to the OEM unit. Sorry to hear that you found one not up to specifications.

May I make a suggesttion? If pressing on the battery door causes your AA adapter to work, if you cover the end of the adapter next to the battery door with a couple layers of duct tape (trimmed to the shape of the adapter), it may serve as a shim and eliminate the problem you have with this adapter.
That's a good suggestion, I'll try that too. I will have to say the OEM adapter is built much better than the knockoff, including a metal top.