Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
HDR

Hi, the camera I have is the K5, My question is about shooting for HDR, I set the exposure bracketing to 5 shots about 1 stop apart, but I was wondering if i could set the exposure compensation to -2 and then +2 to have more bracketed shots? (leaving the camera set to 5 shots)

10-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If you set your exposure compensation to anything other than 0, then the camera will either decrease or increase the exposure for all of the bracketed shots by that amount. It would not increase the number of shots taken.
10-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FrankC Quote
If you set your exposure compensation to anything other than 0, then the camera will either decrease or increase the exposure for all of the bracketed shots by that amount. It would not increase the number of shots taken.
thanks but you didn't really answer my question
10-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Bern,

Let's say your camera is set to take a series of bracket shots in the following order: -2, -1, 0, +1, +2.
If you use exposure compensation and take another series of bracketed shots the camera will apply the adjustment to each image.

For example: Using a -2 exposure compensation would produce a series of images that would look like this: -4, -3, -2, -1, 0.
Using a +2 exposure compensation would produce a series of images that would look like this: 0, +1, +2, +3, +4

As you can see, exposure compensation used in bracketing mode just shifts the set of exposures the left or right based on the amount of compensation that you choose. This works in manual, auto and aperture priority modes. You would use this if the scene was either high or low key. For example shooting a beach scene with white sand and bright white clouds. There's no real shadow in this scene, but the brightness range may still be more than what your camera can render in one shot.

To find out if you need to do this, meter off of the most important shadow and highlight areas. Then compare the two to find the contrast range. With this knowledge, you'll then be able to decide if you need HDR at all or to shift things to left or right.

Frank

10-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
HDR

OK, thanks so I can pick from all the photos for the ones I want and have 7 or more photos to merge together.
10-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should see this displayed on the rear LCD too. Of you have no exposure compensation set, and select bracketing as the drive mode, you can choose the number of shots taken and the steps. The bar display should show you where all your shots will be. Then hit OK and use exposure compensation. The bar display will show the shots shifted left or right by the amount of compensation.
10-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
HDR

OK thanks again, I got it now, I just have to go shoot something.