Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Press Shutter Release and nothing happens

I think I'm going to be sick. I am supposed to take pictures at my cousins wedding tomorrow, so I got camera out a couple of days ago, put in new batteries, bought a brand new sd card and made sure it was all ready to go. Tonight, I mounted it on my tripod to check the remote control and NOTHING HAPPENS!!! I press the shutter release button and nothing. No noise, no click, no picture. The LV works, everything is showing fine on the screen, but I'm not getting any pics. When I press the shutter release button the screen goes black until I release it. Have I changed some setting by accident or am I just screwed??? Camera is a Kx.

Thanks in advance.

Sam

10-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #2

That's happened with my K-5, and I found the SD card door wasn't firmly closed.

Jim
10-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimt Quote
That's happened with my K-5, and I found the SD card door wasn't firmly closed.

Jim
Took the card out and reinserted just to make sure. Closed up tightly. I even put the camera on Auto Pic to see if that would take, flash pops up, view finder shows info, but no pic.
10-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does it focus and get a focus lock? Required usually, for the shutter to actuate.

Card is not full? (I know, new card. Just checking) Also try formatting the card in the camera.

10-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Does it focus and get a focus lock? Required usually, for the shutter to actuate.

Card is not full? (I know, new card. Just checking) Also try formatting the card in the camera.
Yes, it does focus. I took out the new card and put in the old one, no difference.
10-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Did you try taking a picture in LV? Is the behavior the same?

Can you try another lens? I'm reaching but at this point try anything... What lens are you using?

Try a different set of batteries. I know, likely won't make any difference...

Try it with no card in. You should get error "No Card in Camera" or something similar.

When you press the trigger can you hear the mirror trying to move? Could be a stuck mirror. Put the camera in sensor cleaning mode and see if the mirror moves.

Last resort would be to try a reset to factory defaults. Might want to write down any settings you changed before doing that.
10-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Did you try taking a picture in LV? Is the behavior the same? Yes, the same behavior.

Can you try another lens? I'm reaching but at this point try anything... What lens are you using? Was using the 18-55 that came with the camera. Just tried the 70-300 with same result.

Try a different set of batteries. I know, likely won't make any difference... Tried different batteries, no change.

Try it with no card in. You should get error "No Card in Camera" or something similar. Yup, got the error no card in camera.

When you press the trigger can you hear the mirror trying to move? Could be a stuck mirror. Put the camera in sensor cleaning mode and see if the mirror moves. No sound at all when I push the trigger, but when I turn on I hear the thump, and did the sensor cleaning and I did hear the sensor shake.

Last resort would be to try a reset to factory defaults. Might want to write down any settings you changed before doing that. Just did factory reset, no change.
Believe, I'm way past "at this point"! LOL

Thanks for all the suggestions.
10-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Time to break out the backup camera!. Or get a rental Nikon lined up ASAP.

10-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Did you change the shutter timer option so that the camera fires on remote?

And you didn't say, does using the remote result in any response from the camera?
10-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Did you change the shutter timer option so that the camera fires on remote?

And you didn't say, does using the remote result in any response from the camera?
I didn't change anything that I know of. The camera didn't respond to remote either. I thought at first that was the problem. Funny thing is the red light blinks like it's supposed to when the remote option is activated.

Unfortunately I think Ex Finn. is right, time for a new camera!
10-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SamD Quote
Funny thing is the red light blinks like it's supposed to when the remote option is activated.
I just had that happen tonight while setting up for some moon shots. You need to double check the drive mode, mine got set for "remote" by accident. I had intended a 2 second delay but messed up.
10-18-2013, 11:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Try it in self timer mode.
If that works then it could be the shutter button playing up.
Another thing to do is clean the battery terminals with alcohol.
Else do a factory reset.
10-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Only a few things can make this happen, memory card problem: full or unformatted, or as said above physical problems like card not seated properly. If your lens has aperture ring it needs to be set at A.or have "Aperture Ring Enabled" selected.