Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #1

How to use Nissin (for Nikon) flash with K5 ?

Hi,

what shell I do, to make my camera fire the flash ? I'd like to use it in manual mode (I've read it is possible), but with no succes. Is there any secret settings in the camera which allows it ?

10-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What model flash? I use my Sb-26 on the k-5 with no problem. The flash must be in manual mode as the k-5 does not use TTL flash communication, which the older flashes do. If you have a newer flash it still must be in manual as it will use the Nikon protocol and the k-5 will use P-TTL.

So they will work, but only in manual flash.

Also, be aware some older flashes can use a voltage high enough to damage modern cameras. If your flash is relatively new this should not be an issue, but if it is old you should check the voltage first.
10-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
What model flash? I use my Sb-26 on the k-5 with no problem. The flash must be in manual mode as the k-5 does not use TTL flash communication, which the older flashes do. If you have a newer flash it still must be in manual as it will use the Nikon protocol and the k-5 will use P-TTL.

So they will work, but only in manual flash.

Also, be aware some older flashes can use a voltage high enough to damage modern cameras. If your flash is relatively new this should not be an issue, but if it is old you should check the voltage first.
Hi, I have Nissin Di466 for Nikon. Of course I'm aware, that it should work only in manual mode.
So I have my flash attached to camera, set into manual mode and ... nothing.
Some other setting should be done ?
10-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shutter speed below 1/180?

10-20-2013, 01:07 AM   #5

Original Poster
yes, tried again for sure, but with no luck
10-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does the flash fire using the test button, off the camera? Just to be sure...

Also make sure the flash is fully seated all the way forward on the camer hot shoe, I have done that once or twice, it looked OK but was just enough off so the pins did not make contact.
10-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #7

Original Poster
Yes it fires :-)), it works in slave mode perfectly also (using built in flash as main one).

It's fully seated, I just tried it in various positions, tried moving ... still nothing. Hot shoe works also fine, I borrowed Pentax version of Metz flesh (don't know exact model) and it worked perfectly fine.

It starts to be sad :-))