Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #1

EV compensation

Hi

I have a pentax K5, I find that when shooting in normal daylight conditions using multi-segmented metering, I need to adjust my EV compensation to +1 stop to get a good exposure. If I don't my pictures turn out a little on the dark side. I am shooting in manual mode.

This is my first DSLR, since shelving my Pentax P30. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be using centre weighted metering.

Regards Marcel

10-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax generally takes a conservative view on metering to make sure you don't clip any highlights. Many of us use +1/3 or +2/3 stop all the time.

The metering mode used should be determined by the situation, sometimes center weighted is best sometimes something else. I use center weighted most of the time, and routinely have EV at +2/3

So, no you are not doing anything wrong, just use the EV to adjust so it gets correct. Be aware that different lenses may require a different EV setting. EV is just an adjustment, use it as needed.
10-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I've had the same issue or should I say concern. Thanks for bringing it up Gypsymojo and thanks for your great response jatrax. I'll start compensating.
10-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply Jatrax.

10-21-2013, 06:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use compensation quite a bit too, especially with older lenses. Check out the exposure bracketing feature too. You may find it helpful to leave your compensation at a fixed value and get something above and below it just in case your lighting has suddenly changed. That way you'll have a better chance of getting the shot with a tiny bit less of continuous fumbling with the knobs.