Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
What is this Line Across my Photos?

I have a K10d that I've been shooting with for about 4 years. I'm guessing it has about 15k actuations on the shutter.

Anyway, in the past few months I've been seeing this line across about every 100th image (see attached pictures). It shows up across the same part of the image each time.

Does this look familiar to anyone? Could it be the SD card?

Thanks for any info.

Jon

Original Image:

100% crop

10-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Test it with your other SD cards to see if it happens again.
10-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could be a sensor problem, worse case. Or it could be the SD card.

Try a different card, or try formatting the one you have. Hopefully it is the card.
10-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vagabond79 Quote

Does this look familiar to anyone?

100% crop
Somewhat though it may not be your case. I think K10D uses CCD rather than CMOS. See this old thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/190585-cmos-laser-damage.html.

10-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
Somewhat though it may not be your case. I think K10D uses CCD rather than CMOS. See this old thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/190585-cmos-laser-damage.html.
It does look similar to the line on the "CMOS Laser Damage" video. Thankfully, it is only showing up every 100th image or so and not all the time. I don't think my camera has been near any lasers recently. Thanks for alerting me to this possibility though.

I will try to format the card first and if that doesn't work I'll buy another card and try that. Thanks for the replies!
10-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pardon my ignorance, but does the K10D have the pixel mapping feature of the newer bodies? If so, it would be worth running.
10-22-2013, 04:01 AM   #7

Pixel mapping and formatting/changing the card hopefully helps. Line appearing in the same position is a bad sing, it might suggest that sensor is about to fail... Good thing that itīs not in every frame!

Reminds me of K20D i had. Well, actually still have since owner didnīt want it back anymore, so iīm keeping it for parts.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/236412-...or-busted.html
10-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Pardon my ignorance, but does the K10D have the pixel mapping feature of the newer bodies? If so, it would be worth running.
Mine does not have it. I am at firmware version 1.20

Steve

10-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
Forum Member

I'd say that's the sensor not the SD card. Possibly damage to the circuitry causing an intermittent fault. Has the camera suffered a knock recently? It might also be a hot pixel triggering adjacent pixels, in which case remapping is worth a try.
11-02-2013, 05:50 AM   #10
Pentaxian

My vote is for a sensor that is dying.

I had a Fuji point and shoot with a similar issue that gradually started to show up within a year of owning it. I had to send it it and they replaced the whole sensor assembly.
11-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
My vote is for a sensor that is dying.

I had a Fuji point and shoot with a similar issue that gradually started to show up within a year of owning it. I had to send it it and they replaced the whole sensor assembly.
Oddly enough, I bought the camera refurbished in 2009. After a month or two of using it I started seeing some issues that caused me to get the sensor replaced (under warranty, thankfully). I'm not sure how much that would say for the K10d's sensor if it was failing again. I wonder what the average lifespan of one of those things is. I have certainly not used the camera a ton while I've had it.
11-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vagabond79 Quote
I'm not sure how much that would say for the K10d's sensor if it was failing again. I wonder what the average lifespan of one of those things is.
I don't believe there have been many reports of sensor problems with the K10D. My understanding is that the K10D has been pretty robust. I have not babied mine (bought new in Spring 2007) and it has given me no problems to date. Perhaps yours is in the vanguard of those approaching end-or-life?

Steve