Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K10D problem...Help, please

Hi. I have a K10D which I still love to bits, but I had a stroke some time ago, and haven't used it in ages, mainly because the stroke robbed me of my strength and affected me ability to hold such a hefty camera (now I use a Olympus E-PL1which is much lighter). But, today I tried using the Pentax with a tripod...and that's when the problem happened.

I fixed a 50mm FA lens to it, replacing the previous Sigma10-20mm, turned the camera on, but the shutter refused to work. I kept getting an "F - - " flashing in the top window which is split into five boxes. The flashing was happening in the top left hand box. I have obviously done something wrong....

HELP

10-21-2013, 12:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The aperture is probably not set to "A" and "Use Aperture Ring" is not enabled in the setup. Setting use of the aperture ring will allow stop-down metering. Setting the lens to "A" mode will allow all metering modes.
10-21-2013, 12:29 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, Not A Number....um....but since the stroke we have moved states and in the move I lost all my K10D documentation...as well as parts of my memory....how do I set the aperture ring... I know this makes me sound like a dummy... but strokes can do things like that :-(
10-21-2013, 12:30 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Darius4522 Quote
Thanks, Not A Number....um....but since the stroke we have moved states and in the move I lost all my K10D documentation...as well as parts of my memory....how do I set the aperture ring... I know this makes me sound like a dummy... but strokes can do things like that :-(
Just turn the ring on the lens (the one with many numbers) all the way to the "A" position.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-21-2013, 12:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

There should be a little button on the aperture ring that you need to press to allow the ring to turn on or off the "A" setting.
10-21-2013, 12:47 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the lens and on the aperture ring there is the letter "A" to the left of the aperture numbers. A bit further to the left of the "A" there is a small button, that you need to push down while you turn the aperture ring to the "A" position. This enables you to let the camera control the aperture automatically and you to control/adjust the aperture from the rear thumb wheels. The aperture is also reported to the LCD window up on top of the camera.

Also, here is a soft copy of the K10 User's Manual that you can keep on your PC's desktop for reference.
Hope you are making a good recovery....

10-21-2013, 04:58 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your help, everyone.....it all came back to me after reading your advice! The K10D is working like a dream again! I'm indebted to you all.