Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2013, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A Perfect Ten!

I'll add another vote for the K10D, mine's still going strong and gets plenty of regular use. A BG-2, Pentax O-ME53 magnifying eyecup and split-prism Katzeye screen make it a pretty useful piece of hardware, and the handling, durability and ergonomics can't be beat. Plus the CCD sensor is...well, you just have to compare the colors with a CMOS sensor to believe it. An almost film-like color rendering.
As far as I know, none of the ist's have an ISO lower than 200 or a sensor MP higher than 6.1.
I believe that same sensor was used up through the K-100D and K-110D.
For $200 or less, the ten is a great 'extra' body!
Ron

10-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own an *istD from 2003, and a K10D from 2006 - both are working fine. I too love the old CCD sensor rendering. Mine both get about equal regular use which I think is important for an old camera. I think keeping them in the closet gathering dust contributes to premature failure. (I have no evidence of this - just a personal belief) The K10D produces slightly cleaner low ISO photos, while the *istD seems to be cleaner at ISO 800. I find the *istD very well suited to the older K & M lenses - it meters accurately, and the larger viewfinder is a joy to use with manual-focus lenses. The K10 is a big & rugged camera, and the ergonomics are flawless, imo. I use mine mostly for my AF and A-series lenses. I should also mention I have a K100D from 2006 (passed down to my wife), which is also a nice & durable camera. Good luck!

Last edited by paulh; 10-24-2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: added details
10-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know the K-7 has a PC terminal but I thought it was on some older models. It should be easy to get a hotshoe to PC adapter as long as the trigger voltage is low, less than 30V. Higher voltages might need an adapter that isolates the trigger voltage from the camera.

Base ISO in the digital sense is just where they decided to put it. The *ist series only started at 200 so they could squeeze out 3200 at the top. So 200 shouldn't be a deal-breaker. If you are looking for image quality at low ISO, the CCD sensors are probably better choices. That means the Pentax 6Mp or 10Mp models.

The K10D came with tethering software which might be useful for your needs. If I remember correctly, that was the first model where Pentax actually specified shutter life. That seems like a good first choice. The K-m or K2000 has the same sensor in a lighter, cheaper chassis, but the cost savings won't be very much today.
10-24-2013, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Plus the CCD sensor is...well, you just have to compare the colors with a CMOS sensor to believe it. An almost film-like color rendering.
+1

Film shooters have a soft spot for K10D ISO100 output. Green Button metering with manual focus lenses is an acquired skill. I took the Katz-Eye out and focus with the original matte screen now - I think I get a better snap focus (not catch-in-focus) that way.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-24-2013 at 10:21 AM.
10-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
You'll see K10s inexpensive - and it's a helluva camera for $150 or so. Pop a split-focus screen in it and you've got one of the better manual-focus DSLRs out there. Eventually I'll have to sell mine, it's sitting on the shelf doing nothing.
Well, that's unfair to the poor camera!! I'd be happy to give it a home.
10-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Archimedes the Dog Quote
I am looking to get an older DSLR for experimenting with exposures and modeling strobe lighting (like I once would have with a Polaroid). I just need something simple that has 100 ISO, hotshoe or PC sync, and... Well, that's it, basically. ISO 50 would be nice, but not necessary. I'm trying to spend not much, around $150. None of the old Pentax bodies seem to really work for this, they were all ISO 200 it seems. My options seem to be try to get a K2000(K-M), find a good deal on a K200D, or buy another brand. The other brands have cameras that fit the bill in the 6.3 MP era, are 10 year old bodies still good?
Except for ISO 100 where the *istD is ISO 200, the *istD is the best camera to use. It has both TTL and PTTL flash metering so you can get proper metered flash even with legacy lenses.

Why is ISO 100 or low ISO so important?

Can't you stop down?
10-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #22

I just upgraded to a K5 II from my K10D, and the only reasons were more pixels and high ISO shooting. Other than that, the K10D was a wonderful camera, that went on many trips and adventures and never let me down. Honestly, I sometimes felt bad that I wasn't a better user, like I was letting the camera down!

I haven't listed my K10D in the marketplace, but have been thinking about selling it, and I imagine with the new camera coming out more bodies will be available shortly as well.

10-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #23
Pentaxian

As I said before, the K10D (and also the *istD) were Pentax's top of the line at one time. That means that structurally, they're built pretty much on a par with the K3. It's just the electronics that have changed. These things were built to take some use.
10-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought a second (third or forth Iīd guess...) hand istD that I gave to my father (along with FA80-320, he couldnīt be happier). And Photome said it had 56000 pictures taken. Shutter assembly was rated 50K actuations for that camera so... And he is using it in the south of Argentina (near Malvinas, Antartida) where weather conditions are challenging, not an issue...
10-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #25
Pentaxian

My father still uses his *istD, with excellent results (much of it down to him, I have to say, but the camera doesn't drag him down at all)
10-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nikon, one year or less. Pentax a few more. Canon less time than it takes to open the box--maybe a little bit more.
10-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MY K10D with battery grip is still working fine - and that camera has taken a FLOGGING over the years.
11-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Except for ISO 100 where the *istD is ISO 200, the *istD is the best camera to use. It has both TTL and PTTL flash metering so you can get proper metered flash even with legacy lenses.

Why is ISO 100 or low ISO so important?

Can't you stop down?
it's for thin DOF freaks like me

Also probably from landscape shooters to blur waterfalls, although that one you can probably more easily use an ND filter since you'll be on tripod anyway. Using ND filter without LV is rather inconvenient though imo.

Last edited by Andi Lo; 11-06-2013 at 08:55 PM.
11-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Hello

I still have a Canon 300D (do not ask…) that is going to be 10 years old next April and still takes great photos.

Hell! I have a (no DSLR) Olympus C1000L that is more (now) than 16 years old and still takes great photos.

So… they can last and last!

Best regards,
11-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #30
Veteran Member

my old Sony a100 had a low ISO of 80, which yielded tack sharp detail yet smooth creamy background with no noise. Though you really had to have a fast prime to take advantage of it .
On a side note,It also had a dedicated DOF preview button.
Although only 10mp, i loved that camera, never had an issue, exposure was always constant. but sadly it was stolen.
i think at the time of it being stolen it had about 30k shutter activations on it with no signs of impending issues.

Last edited by OldNoob; 02-07-2014 at 09:23 AM.