Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Manual control lost when popup flash is open

I have a K20D that will not allow me to change the aperture and shutter speed separately when the popup flash is open. Once the popup flash is open it overrides the manual settings and when I try to adjust the shutter speed the aperture also changes. It will also only allow shutter speeds up to 1/180. It does this in TV, M, and TaV settings. I have reset the camera back to factory defaults but it still happens.

10-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
1/180 is maximum flash synch speed so it limits it to that. A faster speed would result in only part of the frame being exposed to the flash. As to linking the aperture and shutter speed, I haven't checked mine to see if it does that. Can you adjust the aperture without it changing shutter speed?
10-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Parallax did a good job explaining the shutter speed at 180 for all modes. I will give the linked aperture/speed in M mode issue a try. AE Lock on? I believe that is referred to as hyper-manual mode and is analogous to the hyper-program feature of P mode. To clear, push the green button or AE Lock button.

BTW...Welcome to the Pentax Forums!!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-29-2013 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Added strike-through to correct how to turn hyper-manual off
10-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you for the information and the warm welcome. I will look at those settings when I get home this evening to see if they fix the issue. I did some shooting at a motor sports event over the weekend and had a lot of trouble with the camera since I was unable to work in manual mode, and had to shoot in P mode the entire time. I also had issues where the pop-up flash stopped working all together. I do notice that on the lens ring on the camera that one of the contacts is stuck down and didn't know if that was how it was supposed to be or not?

Attached Images

10-29-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Parallax while in manual mode I cannot change the aperature and shutter speed seperately. If I change the shutter speed the aperature also changes, which it didn't do in the past.
10-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As Steve mentioned above, make sure AE lock isn't on.
10-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In regards to M-mode being locked in Hyper-Manual when flash is used. This is not making good sense. Back to step one here:
  • Did this all used to work?
  • Are you new to the K20D?
  • What lens are you using?
  • Does this happen with all lenses?
  • Is this a problem when not using the built-in flash?
  • Is everything else in the camera working properly?
Finally (or perhaps first)...
In the viewfinder, do you see a green * at bottom to the right of the over/under graph? The * is the indicator for AE-L and if lit in M-mode indicates you are in hyper-manual mode. Depending on how you hold the camera, the AE-L button can be pressed accidentally. I was wrong in my above comment regarding exit from hyper-manual mode. You exit by pushing the AE-L button or by turning the camera off.

Except for hyper-manual, I don't know of any setting that will do what you describe. Stuck-down contact on the mount face? The "A" contact (third from left, camera facing you) is always slightly recessed.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-29-2013 at 09:53 AM.
10-30-2013, 07:18 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok so It was most definitely the AE-L button that was the issue, so thank you for the helpful advice. The only thing I do notice is when i press the info button to see what settings are set for an image I do not see any indication that the AE-L button was on, but if I press it I hear a beep and it locks the controls. Press it again and I hear a beep and it unlocks the controls. I've been using this camera for a little over a year now and I'm still learning the ins and outs. All in all I've enjoyed this camera and been very pleased with the images it takes. Thank you again for all the helpful advice.

500px / Gregg Thomas / Photos
10-30-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gathomas72 Quote
I do not see any indication that the AE-L button was on
The indicator is in the viewfinder. "*" to the right of the exposure bar.

Steve