Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2013, 04:40 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax-M 35mm F2 Aperture Ring Half-Works

Hey all--

I recently acquired a second-hand SMC Pentax-M 35mm F2 lens (a good deal at $25), and aside from the barrel being worn from use, the glass and everything else seems great.

One issue I discovered, though, is that the aperture ring works just fine from F2 up until F8, but it won't turn any further than that. Aperture blades respond appropriately and don't stick. I'm not that worried about it, as I usually shoot faster than F8 anyway, but I was wondering if there was an easy enough fix that it'd be worth opening it up, or if I should just leave it alone.

I can't get at it for another couple of weeks, as it's technically my birthday present and my wife won't let me play with it until I turn 28 , but I wanted some advice in the interim.

Thanks!

10-26-2013, 05:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dmeadows85 Quote
my wife won't let me play with it until I turn 28

I would advise against opening the lens and fiddling with it, unless you have proper tools, lens build diagrams, and some experience. If you are worried, you can send it to a repair store and they can fix it for you (and do a general CLA). But it will cost.. probably more than you paid for that lens. But you can get it repaired while you wait and you get it functioning and working normally.

Why wouldnt it work above f8? Could be the aperture ring is jammed or deformed, could be the internal clicking mechanism is broken,.. hard to tell
10-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had a M35/2.8 and it had oily aperture blades. Seems to be a common problem with M 35mm lenses. Check the lens mount for oil. If it can get to the mount, then it could reach your sensor, and youŽll have to have that clean too. Apart from that, I donŽt think IŽd worry repairing it if it works fine between f/2 and f/5.6...
10-29-2013, 04:29 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You got an extraordinarily good deal on the lens, so the fact that a professional CLA would cost more than you paid doesn't mean you shouldn't go that route. I'd send it to Eric Hendrickson unless you have a preferred local tech.