Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Maricopa, Az.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16
Sigma APO teleconverter 2X EX DG problem

I just got my copy of the TC to go with my Sigma 70-200mm EX DG APO OS lens. I followed the installation instructions to the letter. after turning on the camera, the readouts just went haywire. The aperture and shutter speed were just flashing and changing the values. has anyone encountered this problem with this TC? cameras are the K7 and K10D.

10-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Richmond, Virginia USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,627
QuoteOriginally posted by rjkfam Quote
I just got my copy of the TC to go with my Sigma 70-200mm EX DG APO OS lens. I followed the installation instructions to the letter. after turning on the camera, the readouts just went haywire. The aperture and shutter speed were just flashing and changing the values. has anyone encountered this problem with this TC? cameras are the K7 and K10D.
I had trouble with the connection being solid and I could feel movement with the teleconverter to the body and lens...have you tried just holding the lens slightly different to see if it locks in...you might try a little aluminum foil between the areas where the connection seems loose (make sure you don't cover the areas that allow them to talk with each other) ...I have to admit I got frustrated with it and stopped using it because I could not count on it to be rock solid
10-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
Forum Member
wolfworx's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: East London
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 60
As I understand it is not compatible with the 70-200, mine did the same, checked on the Sigma website, learned the bad news and sent it back....
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/teleconverter-compatibility

It works with the old (non IS ) 70-200's but not the new ....
10-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Maricopa, Az.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
I had trouble with the connection being solid and I could feel movement with the teleconverter to the body and lens...have you tried just holding the lens slightly different to see if it locks in...you might try a little aluminum foil between the areas where the connection seems loose (make sure you don't cover the areas that allow them to talk with each other) ...I have to admit I got frustrated with it and stopped using it because I could not count on it to be rock solid
Hello pearsaab, The mounts are a tight fit. and I just notice that if I push the Function or menu button, the display just comes on for a split second then goes off. I'm thinking it's just a defective copy of the TC. Thanks for the input, lesson learned. :-)

10-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 385
I have the same problem with the 2x. My lens is the older non-OS version. Readout works correctly with lens on a different teleconverter, no flashing. And mine seems to be solid when I attach it. Problem happens whether on my 20D or K5. I cannot access any menus. I originally bought a refurbished from Sigma, and sent it back because of the problem since the warranty is so short. I bought new for the longer warranty, and have the same problem, so will be contacting their tech support to send it in for service with one of my bodies.

The literature that came with my lens states it is compatible with the Pentax mount, save that the lens is manual focus only.
10-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Maricopa, Az.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rjkfam Quote
Hello pearsaab, The mounts are a tight fit. and I just notice that if I push the Function or menu button, the display just comes on for a split second then goes off. I'm thinking it's just a defective copy of the TC. Thanks for the input, lesson learned. :-)
Good evening Wolfworx, I think the excitement just bit me in the rear end. I went to the same web page you linked, I saw my lens on the chart, but without reading further and not figuring out the dashes meant not compatible, I just went ahead and bought it. I need to pay more attention next time. But for now, I'll just have to get 2X closer to the subject. hahaha. Thanks for the eye opener.
10-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Maricopa, Az.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rgknief60 Quote
I have the same problem with the 2x. My lens is the older non-OS version. Readout works correctly with lens on a different teleconverter, no flashing. And mine seems to be solid when I attach it. Problem happens whether on my 20D or K5. I cannot access any menus. I originally bought a refurbished from Sigma, and sent it back because of the problem since the warranty is so short. I bought new for the longer warranty, and have the same problem, so will be contacting their tech support to send it in for service with one of my bodies.

The literature that came with my lens states it is compatible with the Pentax mount, save that the lens is manual focus only.
Hello rgknief60, Thanks for the input, wolfworx was right. the TC I purchased is not compatible with my lens. Like I said , I should have known the dashes meant not compatible. I guess i'll just hang on to this TC for now. maybe i'll come across l compatible lens in the hopefully near future. thanks again and have a safe halloween.
10-29-2013, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 385
QuoteOriginally posted by rjkfam Quote
...Thanks for the input, wolfworx was right. the TC I purchased is not compatible with my lens.
I just looked at the chart, rjkfam. According to the chart the 2x is incompatible with my lens as well. You would think that the actual literature that comes with a lens should be accurate. Otherwise I'd not have purchased. But evidently the supplied instructions are incorrect. My mystery appears solved as well. And you have a safe Halloween as well.

10-30-2013, 07:51 AM   #9
Pentaxian
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,439
Looking at the chart you can easily deem the Sigma converters almost useless in Pentax mount, a shame really.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
apo, dg, pentax help, sigma, tc
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Sigma EX 2x APO Teleconverter joe.penn Sold Items 3 02-04-2013 11:57 PM
Tamron 70-200 and Sigma APO 2x EX DG gabry501 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 01-22-2013 10:05 AM
For Sale - Sold: Sigma APO Teleconverter 1.4x EX DG ElJamoquio Sold Items 3 03-12-2012 11:55 PM
For Sale - Sold: Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX APO DG + 2x APO EX converter Sila Sold Items 12 09-19-2008 05:10 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:29 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top