Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #1

Video time limits

I'm finally ready to make the leap to a DSLR from my Fuji 1500S. I want a DSLR primarily for manual control of focusing, the auto focus on the Fuji has driven me nuts and I'm tired of taking 20 or 30 shots to make sure that at least one is in focus on the object I want.
I've also used the Fuji for making videos,
, and I'm concerned about the short amount of recording time with the K30 and K50. Is this an SD card issue? Software? Battery? Is there any way around it? I sometimes hang a camera out on a wing strut and it's a little hard to pull over and reset it if the camera times out.

Rick

10-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mostly it's a sensor heat issue, from what I've read. The compromise of video on a body meant for stills is this heat issue, dedicated video cameras must have solutions built in. Perhaps on a wing strut will keep the camera cool enough to get longer video life. Otherwise, you might want to look into higher-end video cameras.
10-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lsamech104 Quote
I'm finally ready to make the leap to a DSLR from my Fuji 1500S. I want a DSLR primarily for manual control of focusing, the auto focus on the Fuji has driven me nuts and I'm tired of taking 20 or 30 shots to make sure that at least one is in focus on the object I want.
I've also used the Fuji for making videos, River Run.wmv - YouTube, and I'm concerned about the short amount of recording time with the K30 and K50. Is this an SD card issue? Software? Battery? Is there any way around it? I sometimes hang a camera out on a wing strut and it's a little hard to pull over and reset it if the camera times out.

Rick
There's a hard limit of 4Gb per file, which is imposed by the filesystem. Canon cameras will automatically start a new file for you, but on a Pentax, once your video hits 4Gb, you have to manually start recording again. And then there's the heat issue, but I don't think that'll set in until more than 30 minutes have passed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: