Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #1

Viewing Raw PEF photos

Would anyone know what I need to do to be able to open my 20d photos in raw? I had to erase my harddrive and reinstall everything. When I open my cs3 photoshop, it says can't complete your request as it is the wrong kind of document. I can open the jpeg pics in there, but not the raw. I remember I had to download something years ago, but I can't remember what it was. HELP!! Thanks for any advice. ...Nancy
I am using windows 7

10-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like you probably need to update the (free) Adobe Camera Raw plugin. Version 4.6 is the latest version that works with CS3.

Windows download: https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4040
10-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I assume this worked before? If so, make sure you have all of the updates applied to CS3.

Some (older) information about this here: Photoshop CS3 won't open K20d PEF files

I agree you might be better moving to DNG going forward, but that won't help you with current files. With Lightroom you can convert them on import, but not sure how CS3 handles that.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/131-visitors-center/241074-pef-raw-cs3.html#ixzz2jF9mRdtJ
10-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your help. I downloaded the camera raw and saved it to where it told me to. I still can't open the raw photos. Still telling me the same thing. Anymore ideas? I'll try anything to get it to work again.

10-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #5

Original Poster
I also clicked on the Adobe updater and it said no new updates at this time.
10-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #6

The updater is not always accurate. It would say there were no updates for my Adobe Bridge but there was an update available on the support website that fixed some minor bugs. Check the "About" to see the version level on each component then check on the update site to see if it you actually have the highest update.
10-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #7

Original Poster
I put my computer clock to Oct 1 2011 and clicked update under the photoshop help. It downloaded a bunch of things and installed fine, until it came to installing the camera raw and stopped. I tried several times and it wont let me install that part only. So odd.

10-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tackylady1 Quote
I put my computer clock to Oct 1 2011 and clicked update under the photoshop help. It downloaded a bunch of things and installed fine, until it came to installing the camera raw and stopped. I tried several times and it wont let me install that part only. So odd.
It's possible that Windows lost track of the file association when you reinstalled. Try right clicking on a PEF file, select "choose default program" from the popup menu, then select Photoshop as the program. Also, I suggest that you download Adobe RAW converter and go with DNG rather than PEF format. You can easily do batch conversions of your current files. Also, you can set the K20D to save in DNG rather than PEF format. That's what I do, as DNG is much more of an open standard than PEF.
10-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
It's possible that Windows lost track of the file association when you reinstalled. Try right clicking on a PEF file, select "choose default program" from the popup menu, then select Photoshop as the program. Also, I suggest that you download Adobe RAW converter and go with DNG rather than PEF format. You can easily do batch conversions of your current files. Also, you can set the K20D to save in DNG rather than PEF format. That's what I do, as DNG is much more of an open standard than PEF.
Thanks John...Choosing photoshop as the default program didn't work either. Gives me the same message. Maybe I will take a few pics with the DNG and see if they will open in photoshop. Not sure what the difference is with the DNG and PEF. Do you know?
10-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks John...Choosing photoshop as the default program didn't work either. Gives me the same message. Maybe I will take a few pics with the DNG and see if they will open in photoshop. Not sure what the difference is with the DNG and PEF. Do you know?
Can't help you with that one. I don't think there are significant quality differences. PEF files may have special features that work more conveniently with Pentax software, but I haven't bothered keeping track as I settled on DNG a long time ago.

Something that in the past was a factor was that XMP data for PEF files used to be stored as sidecar files, while XMP could be more reliably embedded in DNG files- at least with some software. I do not know whether that is still the case.
10-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
Can't help you with that one. I don't think there are significant quality differences. PEF files may have special features that work more conveniently with Pentax software, but I haven't bothered keeping track as I settled on DNG a long time ago.

Something that in the past was a factor was that XMP data for PEF files used to be stored as sidecar files, while XMP could be more reliably embedded in DNG files- at least with some software. I do not know whether that is still the case.
So it doesn't matter what camera brand you are using? They all use the DNG files?
10-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure what the difference is with the DNG and PEF. Do you know?
DNG is a 'standard' RAW format introduced by Adobe. PEF is Pentax's proprietary RAW format.

Adobe pushes DNG because they have more control over the format and I assume can adapt their software faster. Size wise I don't think there is a significant difference. One area where DNG is IMHO superior is that metadata is embedded in the DNG file rather than in an XMP 'sidecar' file as with other formats. So you don't have to worry about losing the sidecar file. Not a big deal but I think it makes things cleaner.

If you use Adobe software, then DNG is a good choice over proprietary formats. You are more likely to have compatibility for new cameras for example. On the other hand if you use the Pentax software I don't think it will read DNG. Not 100% sure of that though.
So it doesn't matter what camera brand you are using? They all use the DNG files?
I think only Pentax uses DNG in camera but Lightroom will convert to DNG from any RAW format on import. Not sure about PS.

Also there is a stand alone converter that will convert PEF into DNG. So if you cannot get PS to see PEF that might be an alternative. But it sounds like you don't have Adobe Camera Raw installed properly and without that you might not be able to see DNG either.
10-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
DNG is a 'standard' RAW format introduced by Adobe. PEF is Pentax's proprietary RAW format.

Adobe pushes DNG because they have more control over the format and I assume can adapt their software faster. Size wise I don't think there is a significant difference. One area where DNG is IMHO superior is that metadata is embedded in the DNG file rather than in an XMP 'sidecar' file as with other formats. So you don't have to worry about losing the sidecar file. Not a big deal but I think it makes things cleaner.

If you use Adobe software, then DNG is a good choice over proprietary formats. You are more likely to have compatibility for new cameras for example. On the other hand if you use the Pentax software I don't think it will read DNG. Not 100% sure of that though.

I think only Pentax uses DNG in camera but Lightroom will convert to DNG from any RAW format on import. Not sure about PS.

Also there is a stand alone converter that will convert PEF into DNG. So if you cannot get PS to see PEF that might be an alternative. But it sounds like you don't have Adobe Camera Raw installed properly and without that you might not be able to see DNG either.
Thanks, I think I will give that a try. I do all my editing in photoshop, so if DNG lets me open in photoshop, problem is solved. If not, than back to square one or a tossing of my comp out the window. lol
10-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It downloaded a bunch of things and installed fine, until it came to installing the camera raw and stopped. I tried several times and it wont let me install that part only.
I'm not sure DNG will be of any help unless you can get ACR installed......

Try resetting the computer and then downloading and installing the correct ACR version for CS3.
10-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I'm not sure DNG will be of any help unless you can get ACR installed......

Try resetting the computer and then downloading and installing the correct ACR version for CS3.
I actually have 2 copies of cs3 and downloaded both hoping something in one was missing and the other would pick it up. On the dvd was the camera raw 4.6 I believe it was. As soon as it downloads it starts photoshop and the message pops up right away once photoshop is up and running. For some reason, the ACR isn't installing.