Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
Forum Member

M42 - K adapters

I see a lot of adapters on fleabay going pretty cheap - like £5 / $8 or less. My question is are they any good or would I be wasting my money? Is there anything I need to know about different types and what to look for? I have a K200D and want to use M42 lenses, but am on a tight budget! Thanks.

10-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The cheap adapters require a tool to remove the adapter from the camera. The screw that holds in the spring clip can extend past the clip and engage the threads of the lens causing the the lens to become stuck in the adapter. If this happens the lens will be stuck to the camera as well. They may be poorly machined as well. There is the possibility of metal shavings being left behind in the treads, and some will leave the lens mounted upside down or at an angle.
10-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The cheap adapters require a tool to remove the adapter from the camera. The screw that holds in the spring clip can extend past the clip and engage the threads of the lens causing the the lens to become stuck in the adapter. If this happens the lens will be stuck to the camera as well. They may be poorly machined as well. There is the possibility of metal shavings being left behind in the treads, and some will leave the lens mounted upside down or at an angle.
Thanks Boris don't like the sound of that! I see some genuine Pentax ones but there seem to be different types of these, or is it just some are a newer design? What's this about locking pins on some M42 lenses - are there different adapters for these or do I need to remove the pins or what?
10-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Darley Quote
Thanks Boris don't like the sound of that! I see some genuine Pentax ones but there seem to be different types of these, or is it just some are a newer design? What's this about locking pins on some M42 lenses - are there different adapters for these or do I need to remove the pins or what?
The workmanship of the genuine adapter is simply better, and with it, you won't have any mounting/locking issues. I strongly recommend making the $20-30 investment in a genuine adapter.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #5

If you're in the UK or EU then the one that SRB sells is well recommended:

Pentax M42 adaptor|M42 lens| Pentax K
10-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What's this about locking pins on some M42 lenses - are there different adapters for these or do I need to remove the pins or what?
Some M42 lenses lack an Auto/Manual switch. These Auto only lenses will not stop down unless the aperture pin is depressed. A M42 camera had a lever that would depress the pin, either when the DoF preview/Meter switch was activated, or when the shutter was released. K-mount cameras lack this lever. You either have to modify the lens so that the pin is held down, or you have to use a third party adapter that has an extra rim inside the adapter to hold down the pin.

You don't have to worry about this with any Takumars.
10-31-2013, 02:20 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a couple of things to note her for new M42 users.

SMC takumars and some super tak's (I think) were made for the latest spot antics which featured open aperture metering. There is a small pin in the mount that needs to be depressed to change aperture.

There is also the aperture activation pin, where some people have noted that this pin needs to be depressed to stop the lens down, and they lack the A/M switch.

There are third party adaptors which can depress this pin, otherwise you are into modifying the lenses, it is a simple reversible mod, but some prefer not to do it.

The risk with third party adaptors, as others have suggested is quality. Check for the retaining spring for binding into the lens base, the screw holding the spring being too long, and for machining swarf being left on the adaptors. Once properly inspected and all issues addressed they are fine

10-31-2013, 04:47 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Many thanks all