Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 12:39 AM - 1 Like   #16

Regarding your canvas print of your son.
I have read in one of the photoshop mags or books not sure which now.
To enlarge to any large size, do not enlarge to the size required all at once, only enlarge by 10% at a time this takes a little longer but in the end you will have a better picture.
To make it easy do a recorded macro save and give it a short cut keys, saves going back to image/image size all the time.
Make sure you have plenty of scenery around the photo about a inch or two as this will fold over the edges on the canvas.

Tom

11-04-2013, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #17

Photos: Albums
I didn't read all the responses (In a bit of a hurry this a.m. but I will read later on, I'm curious to hear what everyone suggests) But I wanted to tell you what I do when I have to crop an image but still want to print it big. I'm not sure if this is helpful.

I go to Photo Printing, Photo Cards, Holiday Cards, Announcements, Photo Books : Mpix and upload the photo. When I click on the picture, it shows on the right side, how big you can go. I normally don't order my portrait work from mpix, but do this occasionally just to make sure when I crop if a client wants a big print.

I had to crop in a good bit on a family photo a few years ago because the Mom didn't want their feet in the picture. However the Mom wanted a huge print made, so this worked well for me to see just how big I could go.

I hope that helps. I'm anxious to read the other responses

Last edited by BethC; 11-04-2013 at 06:28 AM.
11-04-2013, 11:22 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can grab a trial copy of Perfect Resize and use that to resize the image appropriately. From there, you could crop an 8.5x11 section or 4 of the most important parts of it and print the crop(s) onto some decent (doesn't have to be top quality) letter sized photo paper, pop it/them up in the spot where the canvas would go, and look at it from the appropriate distance. If it looks pretty good, it'll probably look better on canvas, so go for it. If it doesn't, troubleshoot from there.

One option that's available with canvas, potentially, is having an artist overpaint it, to add some texture and potentially correct some of the problems you might see crop up printing in a larger size. -- How to Paint On a Canvas Print - FinerWorks
11-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZDE Quote
thank you all. I am not planning on producing life size prints, and I will not be framing it either. I like canvas. My major concern was knowing if the K7 is able to produce decent enlargements. After reviewing some articles I think I should be alright. Also thank you about the distance tips. Never really thought about it.
ZDE,

I've done just what you are describing with images from my K100DS (6mp) on 18"x24" canvas, frameless. I upscale them directly from RAW to TIFF 48-bit, after any minimal necessary cropping, to provide 300dpi resolution for the printer, then proceed with all other necessary processing such as color balance, curves, B&W conversion, toning, etc. (all done in 48-bit data space with Sagelight). As mentioned before, you need to nail the focus when taking the photograph so you have good detail to work with. I'm not a very good judge of my own work, but others have told me that the canvas prints are very nice, and have commented on the good amount of detail in them, even at uncomfortably-close viewing distances.

Therefore, I conclude that your K7 should easily beat my K100DS in its ability to do well at this.

Nice picture - it is an interesting combination of portrait and natural landscape. That should look nice on canvas.

-Joe-