Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Replacing hotshoe on AF500ftz

I thought there be an old thread on this, but can't find the relevant one to this model -

How do you get the shoe housing out of the metal cradle?

I got a replacement shoe from USCamera, and opened the housing, but the metal cradle is still firmly attached to the front 1/2 of the housing with no obvious way to remove it. Anyone btdt?

Thanks!

11-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Well, if there is no obvious way how it is attached, my guess is that itīs glued. If so, i would carefully start heating the metal part. Not too much so the plastic doesnīt melt.
11-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
Oro

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thank you.
I found it. I'll mention it and few other things for others in the future; I couldn't find another thread relevant to the AF500 by searching.

There are three long thin screws through the metal plate from the top, into the hotshoe. Awkward to see and get at. Once I took a brief break and came back, it was clear.

before reinstalling the new unit, I recommend chasing the threads of the new hotshoe with the screws before assembling it. Mine had a lot of plastic flash in it and were really hard to screw in in place. I disassembled it and did that, then it went together much better.

Note the lock ring is directional top/bottom - it will screw in upside down, but then won't lock down. The curved bottom of the thumb tab is towards the bottom.

Also, take out only the four screws (2 top, 2 bottom) on the BACK half of the case. The front ones hold a stabilizing bar in place and don't do anything towards disassembly.

Be careful routing the wires to the swivel flash head when reassembling. It is easy to kink them then pinch or sever one when rotating it. If it has the slightest resistance when you try to swivel it once back together, stop, disassemble, and try again. Guess how I figured that one out.

And, Importantly, say to yourself:

I will never transport my camera with the flash unit attached again.
11-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Good to hear you found the way!