Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by DNT Quote
Camera has already been dropped off at CRK yesterday so I can't try any of your suggestions.
Hey DNT, what did you find out after you got your camera back from service?

I have a similar issue with my K5 showing green images at ISO 3200 and higher. Sometimes I've even seen it at 1600. Same behavior you had - if the image is green then it doesn't get saved to SD.

Happens in Green mode, manual mode, Sv mode... still doing some more investigation but so far it sounds like the same issue you had.

11-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #17
Forum Member

I think it could have something to do with a bad connection on the sensor for green pixels. When you use ISO 1600 probably it starts some NR and maybe some voltages variation on the sensor cause this problem. I'm not sure; I don't think there was anything you could do. Akom seems to have the reverse problem: he's missing blue and red pixels (the numbers of pixels is the same in both cases).
Best of luck to you!
11-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #18
DNT

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by akom Quote
Hey DNT, what did you find out after you got your camera back from service?
Finally remembered to call CRK today.

They said it's a sensor issue and it's being replaced down in Melbourne so another 2 - 3 weeks. As long as I get it back before Xmas I don't care and it sounds like it's also being replaced under warranty (8 days left hehehe) as no costs were mentioned. Should've remembered to ask but I'll find out once they give me a call in a few weeks time.

Sorry akom I'm not much of a tech head when it comes to cameras (not yet at least) so hopefully the more knowledgable members can help you out.
11-14-2013, 04:32 AM   #19

The past couple days I've been playing with it a little more, and It happens for me at ISO 1250 and higher, and at ISO 1000 there is no color change on the display, but those photos also don't get saved to the SD. Anything lower than 1000 ISO works as usual. Very strange.

Anyway, I stopped into my local service shop today, the guy said they'll have to ship it to France or Germany for repair.

He also noticed that my screen protector is cracked (not the screen itself though) so he told me he has to "make note that there are signs that it was dropped", which unfortunately for me, means that it will be at their discretion if it is covered by warranty or not. I hope so though, I also have just about a month left on the warranty.

I'll let you guys know how it goes once I get it back.

11-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #20
DNT

Original Poster
I'll let you guys know how it goes once I get it back.
Dang. All the best with your repair!

I just called CRK's repair centre and it's going to be a main board replacement for me which is a 5 - 10 working day job and was told to expect it back in two weeks. To add to the fun, I may be shooting a friend's vintage motorbike and BMW. Argh! Then again ... get the new K3 and relegate the K5iis to backup? hmmmm .... now to pull out the violin as I tell the sad story to the accountant ....
11-27-2013, 04:39 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by DNT Quote
Dang. All the best with your repair!
Looks like luck was not in my favor... just got a call from the shop where I took it for service. The main board is damaged somehow that is not covered by warranty (they did not tell me exactly what the damage was). Cost to replace it will be half what I paid for the camera, about $500.

Not very happy...
12-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #22
DNT

Original Poster
Looks like luck was not in my favor... just got a call from the shop where I took it for service. The main board is damaged somehow that is not covered by warranty (they did not tell me exactly what the damage was). Cost to replace it will be half what I paid for the camera, about $500.

Not very happy...
Sucks to hear akom! Do you have an ombudsman of some sort in your country?

6 weeks later I'm still waiting but found out it's a warranty repair.
12-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Not very happy...
Why not covered? If they can't prove that it's user induced damage I can't see them arguing that it's out of warranty on the issue.

12-11-2013, 04:11 AM   #24
DNT

Original Poster
Alrighty. Got my camera back all repaired. So far so good but some extensive testing will be done later this week. According to the report the SR block assembly was replaced. Anyone with the technical know how explain how that creates a pink cast ISO 1600 and above? Just curious as to why that would cause an issue.

Also have a 90 day warranty on the repair so hopefully that's the last of the repairs for the next couple of years *knocks on wood*.
12-11-2013, 04:34 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Maybe something like a faulty ground, shield or similar that created interference for the sensor?
12-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Why not covered? If they can't prove that it's user induced damage I can't see them arguing that it's out of warranty on the issue.
I have no way to find out what the actual damage was or what their "proof" is. I took it to the only authorized service shop for Pentax in the Czech Republic and they had to send it to Pentax in Germany. I have no contact with the German service center. All I know is that the local guy told me there was evidence that it was damaged and not factory defect. I asked him if I could contact them directly but he didn't want to give me the contact info. What I think is that they saw the minor crack in the screen protector and used that as "evidence" that it was user-induced damage. To be fair, I did drop the camera, but it was more than 8 months ago. So yes, I supposed it is possible that something wiggled loose over time but they did not tell me any details about what they found, other than the main board had to be replaced.

To replace the main board would cost anywhere from 10,000-15,000czk (about $520-$790) - they weren't able to give me an exact cost in case they "found additional damage" that would require repair. So basically, I'll get the camera back and won't pay... I can buy a new or used one for that price. I also am considering a downgrade to K-30 or K-50, or trying out the K-01, but I'm basically looking for a deal locally so I don't have to pay customs to get it to CZ.

Either way, I now have a very expensive broken camera, that I can still shoot with in some normal lighting situations, and I'll have to eventually bite the bullet and buy a replacement.
12-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Something sounds bull in this whole deal, they really should provide you with info. Isn't it the seller, in all of EU, that has to provide proof for user induced damage when it comes to warranty errands?
12-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #28
Pentaxian

These cases sound interesting. You both had cameras that were saving the photos ok but the images shown on the screen weren't ok. It definitely sounded like something wrong with the cameras hardware/software after the sensor capture. It doesn't surprise me it is such an expensive repair, and I know if I ever need one, I'd probably just buy a new camera. IT sounds like that is kind of what you end up getting anyway, but you might as well get one that is updated rather than pay those prices for a camera that is older, unless a warranty covers you as it sounds like it did for the OP.