Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2013, 01:13 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K5iis: Purple Images over ISO 800

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone with far more know how than myself can point me in the right direction.

Today whilst taking photos with my K5iis, I bumped the ISO up to 1600 and the next thing I know the entire image is purple. Switch back to ISO 800 or less, no problems.

When I do get a purple image, it doesn't save the purple photo to the sd card hence using my phone to capture the evidence. The cards I use are Sandisk Extreme Pro 16GB & 8GB. Then I tried a cheap Transcend card, formatted in camera, take a photo at ISO 800 & ISO 1600 and the exact same issue. I've tried changing the shutter speed and aperture and it doesn't make a difference.

I've already emailed Pentax today on a separate issue and I've also tried other lenses but no dice. Hell I've even taken a photo without a lens and I still get the issue. Tried a reset and it's still there.

When I checked two days ago, my shutter count was around the 22K mark and firmware version 1.06

This is a completely new issue that just started today and I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on and I'm having no luck googling a possible result. I finally get why people love the K5 series so much and I'm hoping it's not an expensive repair. Fingers crossed it's an idiot issue where I might have changed a setting without realising it. The body itself is about 1yr old now so I'll need to find the receipt to see where exactly I stand on warranty.

Cheers,
Adrian

11-02-2013, 01:17 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had this happen with the MX-1, but it was intermittent. Does your issue happen every time? It could be a hardware problem.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-02-2013, 01:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would reinstall the firmware to see what happens.
11-02-2013, 03:22 AM   #4
DNT

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I've had this happen with the MX-1, but it was intermittent. Does your issue happen every time? It could be a hardware problem.
Yes. I was shooting with 1.05 and it happened but it was intermittent but then I had the pink/purple bar at the bottom of my photo so thought an upgrade to 1.06 would sort it out. Since the upgrade it's now every single time but I don't get the odd pink/purple bar anymore (which also started today).

QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
I would reinstall the firmware to see what happens.
Just tried it but no luck.

11-02-2013, 03:38 AM   #5
DNT

Original Poster
I just discovered now that when I use live view, I get the purple display in live view. ISO 1600 and higher I still have the no save to sd card issue and with ISO 800 and lower, I get the purple screen whilst zooming and just viewing but taking a photo is fine.

Looks like a hardware issue like Adam has mentioned. Already notified Pentax AU and awaiting their response on what to do next.
11-02-2013, 05:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian

So, to be clear, could you confirm that the images you save have no purple. It's only something you see on the rear LCD.

Does what mode (P, Av, Tv etc) you are in make a difference?

If you reset the camera settings to the shooting defaults and reset all you custom settings too (pics below related), does that make a difference?

EDIT: I just saw your parrot pic with the purple bar at the bottom.
I'd say what you are seeing on the rear LCD and in some images is related. Looks like you may have a dud chip somewhere in the camera. What was the camera temperature by the way when the problem occurs? (It's normally in the EXIF, but Lightroom took it out of your parrot pic).

Last edited by rawr; 11-02-2013 at 05:45 AM.
11-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #7
DNT

Original Poster
Hey Rawr,

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
So, to be clear, could you confirm that the images you save have no purple. It's only something you see on the rear LCD.
Yep. Images that are saved are purple free. Image that go purple only appear on the LCD and are not saved to sd card.

Does what mode (P, Av, Tv etc) you are in make a difference?
Unfortunately no BUT I did try movie and bulb mode and it's purple free at ISO 1600 and up.

If you reset the camera settings to the shooting defaults and reset all you custom settings too (pics below related), does that make a difference?
Unfortunately no.

EDIT: I just saw your parrot pic with the purple bar at the bottom.
I'd say what you are seeing on the rear LCD and in some images is related. Looks like you may have a dud chip somewhere in the camera. What was the camera temperature by the way when the problem occurs? (It's normally in the EXIF, but Lightroom took it out of your parrot pic).
35 degrees celsius. I checked the other images that had the purple/pink bar and temps were around the 34 - 35 degrees celsius. Some images had variations like cam temps 2 & 3 at 34.9 and cam temps 4 & 5 at 34

I've also tried different wb settings but to no avail.
11-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Movie and bulb mode show no problems? Interesting. So a 15 second exposure, for example, in Bulb at ISO 3200, shows no purple on the rear LCD?
Maybe movie and bulb mode fire up a different circuit to the PASM modes.

34 deg is hot but not the sort of thing the camera would worry about.

I'd drop the camera off to CRK in Brisbane and ask them to have a look.

11-03-2013, 03:29 AM   #9
DNT

Original Poster
Movie and bulb mode show no problems? Interesting. So a 15 second exposure, for example, in Bulb at ISO 3200, shows no purple on the rear LCD?
Maybe movie and bulb mode fire up a different circuit to the PASM modes.
Nothing. 15 seconds, half a second no problem. Even went back to manual and set the shutter speed to 1 sec and the purple appears.
11-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
DNT

Original Poster
CR Kennedy got back to me today and from a rough guess without seeing the camera first, they think it's possibly a sensor issue. Dropping off the camera tomorrow sometime for them to check out.
11-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DNT Quote
Dropping off the camera tomorrow sometime for them to check out.
All the best with CRK. It seems an uncommon error.
Hopefully you are still within warranty or, if not, it won't cost much for CRK to do you right. On the positive side, you may get a revitalised camera out of it if they swap in some new guts.
11-04-2013, 03:56 AM   #12
DNT

Original Poster
Found the receipt and have till Nov 19. Yee haaa!

This issue is moreso a nuisance because as a noob, I've gained more skills recently so it's an exciting time for photography and this happens. It's going to be like hitting F5 repeatedly on the courier status screen as that new bit of kit is shipped out. Scrambling at the moment to try find our old fuji to keep me going until the K5 returns.
11-04-2013, 04:25 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DNT Quote
and this happens
It's good to have backup bodies. That's why I have hung onto my K-x (and K200D). You never can tell when gremlins may strike.

Maybe you could pick up a K-30, K-01 or used K-5 somewhere cheap. Even the K-x is still a great little camera.
11-04-2013, 05:54 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Please see if you can use the "save the last image in the buffer" feature on a purple LCD shot by entering the jpg settings window and using the AEL button to save the image - curious to see whether you can convince the camera to save to the card if after the fact. Thinking potential SD card issue/ contacts here.

Do your NR settings vary at ISO 1600 onward? could also be a processing glitch with a particular combination of settings - but the reset should have sorted that out.

Also, you didn't specify whether the issue occurs only during manually set ISO, or when Auto-Iso is set - would be interesting if you can use Auto-Iso (say 100-1600) and provoke 1600 that way.

Thinking sensor read issue here, based on either manually set input, or camera calculated one.

Good luck!
11-06-2013, 05:07 AM   #15
DNT

Original Poster
It's good to have backup bodies. That's why I have hung onto my K-x (and K200D). You never can tell when gremlins may strike.

Maybe you could pick up a K-30, K-01 or used K-5 somewhere cheap. Even the K-x is still a great little camera.
If you can convince my accountant, I'll be all over a second body ... and a few other items

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Please see if you can use the "save the last image in the buffer" feature on a purple LCD shot by entering the jpg settings window and using the AEL button to save the image - curious to see whether you can convince the camera to save to the card if after the fact. Thinking potential SD card issue/ contacts here.

Do your NR settings vary at ISO 1600 onward? could also be a processing glitch with a particular combination of settings - but the reset should have sorted that out.

Also, you didn't specify whether the issue occurs only during manually set ISO, or when Auto-Iso is set - would be interesting if you can use Auto-Iso (say 100-1600) and provoke 1600 that way.

Thinking sensor read issue here, based on either manually set input, or camera calculated one.

Good luck!
Camera has already been dropped off at CRK yesterday so I can't try any of your suggestions. I do know I've always switched off any in-camera processing like sharpening, NR etc... so I know those won't be a factor.

I've always used manual mode and the issue happens even if there is no card in there.