Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #1

Trouble with Pentax WG3

Hi,

I really need help. I don't know why, my Pentax WG3 GPS doesn't starts up. It shows the "PENTAX" start screen for about 6 - 7 seconds, and then it "beeps" three times and shuts down.

I've tried to connect it to a PC and something even strange happens. If I remove the USB cable, the camera stands on play mode, but if I switch to capture mode, the camera shuts down.

I'm totally desperate, I'm in holidays, so you can imagine how frustrating can be not having a camera.

Please, please, help!

Thanks and regards,

11-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by atreyu Quote
Hi,

I really need help. I don't know why, my Pentax WG3 GPS doesn't starts up. It shows the "PENTAX" start screen for about 6 - 7 seconds, and then it "beeps" three times and shuts down.

I've tried to connect it to a PC and something even strange happens. If I remove the USB cable, the camera stands on play mode, but if I switch to capture mode, the camera shuts down.

I'm totally desperate, I'm in holidays, so you can imagine how frustrating can be not having a camera.

Please, please, help!

Thanks and regards,
Is you battery dead?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
Honestly, I don't think so. The camera has been charging for more than one hour and still the same...

But I'm in a country with 110V, so I'm starting to doubt if the power suply is high enoug for the camera.
11-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Honestly, I don't think so. The camera has been charging for more than one hour and still the same...

But I'm in a country with 110V, so I'm starting to doubt if the power suply is high enoug for the camera.
As long a your power supply is rated for 110v, you should be good to go. But the battery normally takes longer to charge than just an hour.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #5

Original Poster
I think it can't be the battery. I've keep the camera plugged until the green light on the on/off button stopped blinking. And, still doing the same thing. Is there any way to do a full reset of the camera?
11-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think it can't be the battery. I've keep the camera plugged until the green light on the on/off button stopped blinking. And, still doing the same thing. Is there any way to do a full reset of the camera?
To reset it, you need to be able to power it on.

You are disconnecting the power cable before trying to turn it on, right?

Adam

11-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #7

Original Poster
Yep. I remove the cable before pushing the on/off button.

The firmware can be reinstalled?

BTW Adam, thanks a lot for your time.

11-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #8

Original Poster
I've called Technical Service (from Colombia to UK, I don't wanna see the bill...) and they told me that nothing can be done but send the camera to them. So, I have to wait until I'm back home. Goodbay adventure pics... I've bought a new camera, but a regular compact one, and I don't see it surviving the rainforest.

Sorry for the crying, but I'm really pissed off.

If interested I'll tell you what was wrong with the camera once it's repaired. Anyway thanks a lot for your help!
01-17-2014, 02:33 PM   #9

HI,
I have the same problem you've solved the fault of your camera?
What Technical Service spoke about the problem?
Thank you.
01-21-2014, 06:56 AM   #10

Original Poster
Hi vilo,

I bought the camera in Pixmania with an insurance that allow me to return the product and get a full refund in case of technical failure during the first year. So, that's what I did.

I can't tell you what was wrong with the camera, but from my internet research, I think it had something to do with the zoom.

Regards and hope you have better luck than myself.
01-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #11

Hi atreyu,

I bought the camera in October in Japan and I'm in Brazil. Here we do not have Pentax technical service . I'll have to send mine to the U.S..
This seems to be a design problem in the camera or manufacturing.
I suppose for me it will be more difficult and costly to resolve.

Thank you for your attention and great big hug, as we speak here in Brazil.
05-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #12

I recently purchased a WG 3. It sometimes recognizes the memory chip. Sometimes not... Switching memory chips sometimes works, but usually not. Formatting the card did nothing. Couldn't use it on a once in a lifetime trip. Being returned upon my return home and won't make the mistake of buying another Pentax. Going back to a Canon. This camera is really bad. Don't buy it.