Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Greensboro, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 147
Really strange K-5 Image Distortion Problem

I bought a K-5 from a forum member about 2 weeks ago with around 6k actuations. The camera was described as mint.

Randomly, I am getting really strange distortions on some of my RAW images (I'd say a few out of a hundred). Seen here: http://i.imgur.com/MWfFqEI.jpg

I have already tried two different SD cards and seen these distortions with each one.

Additionally, I have noticed the following:
- I see the distortions in Camera RAW and they remain when opened in Photoshop (CS3).

- The image looks fine in the RawTherapee (newest non-beta version) preview window but the file gives me an error when I try to open it for editing.

- The image looks fine in the Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 RAW editor browser window but when I try to make any edits in the "Laboratory" portion of the program, the distortion suddenly appears.

- I can open the file with no distortions in IrfanView, edit it, and save it as a jpeg and then the distortions DO NOT appear in any other program!

Any thoughts about what could be going on? It seems very strange to me. I sent a message to the seller asking if he's ever seen this before. Not sure if I should attempt to file some sort of formal complaint (or if I even have that option for items purchased on the forum).

Any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated.

Jon

11-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
JimJohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lake Superior - Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,164
You say two SD cards, but are these cards new, and what is their speed rating? You can probably squeak by with a class 4 card, but I strongly recommend class 10 cards.
11-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Greensboro, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 147
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
You say two SD cards, but are these cards new, and what is their speed rating? You can probably squeak by with a class 4 card, but I strongly recommend class 10 cards.
JimJohnson, the first card I tried was a Sandisk Ultra Class 10 30mb/s card I had used in my K10d for maybe 6 months. The second card is a Lexar Platinum II Class 10 30mb/s card that I bought new about a week ago.
11-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alberta, central
Posts: 98
that looks like either file damage or, if you tell the camera to record both raw and jpeg and they both look the same when viewing on a computer, then the problem is possibly the image data from the sensor is not being acquired or recorded properly in the early stages of the camera electronics.

I've had a number of compact cameras produce similar images when the sensors were failing (an old Sony sensor flaw)

11-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member
twilhelm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 393
I took a look at your attached image, and I had several images come out looking almost identical when my K5 was about 4 months old. I'll also mention I only use Sandisk Extreme and Ultra cards. I found what I believe was my culprit since I haven't had it happen in about 6 months. When I was downloading my images from the camera, I would simply delete them from the card instead of formatting the card now and then. I then started getting images that looked like yours, right up until I formatted the card again. I haven't had it happen since, and I re-format my card every couple times I download from it.

No promises, just my experience and I hope it may work.
11-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Louicio's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 432
It's definately a write error of some sort, judging by the fact that the error doesn't appear in previews and some programs can view the file and some can't (Irfanview; it's actually a very thorough program) it seems like a limited error due to a small amount of missing/misplaced data.

Try reformatting the cards, making sure there isnt a bit of dust, hair or something etc etc in both SD card slots, reset the camera etc. Also does it appear on the instant review?
11-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,312
You sound like you shoot raw plus JPEG , does this happen only when you are shooting in burst mode or all the time? Also how do you download, a card reader or cable?
Does the image look ok on the camera? Try doing a raw to JPEG in camera see whether the raw really gets corrupted?
It seems like a write error, but maybe it is something on downloading. It is for sure a corrupted file, which is why you get the file error
11-05-2013, 03:08 AM   #8
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,824
There can't be anything wrong with the camera's sensor because any program that displays the JPG preview correctly uses the camera generated JPG thumbnail which is extracted from the raw file from within the camera.

I had a similar problem some two Years ago and it turned out to be a faulty computer memory module. In any case, I think it is a computer problem, I am almost certain. Perhaps you could try some other computer to confirm this theory.

In my case the strange thing was that IrfanView also had no problem opening any of my files. I think IrfanView is quite robust and makes possibly entirely different memory calls on the computer if this is possible. Otherwise I can't explain why with a faulty memory module it was working o.k.

Greetings

11-05-2013, 04:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 304
Hi

I just read this topic and frankly - THE ONLY REASON why this happens is due to Memory cards OR Fragmented / unformatted Hard Drives.

If the pictures look ok in the Digital Preview (LCD).

How I have been able to resolve this issue? Use Faststone to open the picture from the memory card and then converting to JPG from there. Since rest of the pictures are fine I can use Lightroom. Usually it happens with one or two images only.

Cheers!
11-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Greensboro, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 147
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
Also does it appear on the instant review?
No, the error does not show up on the LCD screen. I even reloaded one of the images I saw as distorted in Camera Raw back to my SD card to test and it showed up properly on the LCD screen once again.
11-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Greensboro, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 147
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
You sound like you shoot raw plus JPEG , does this happen only when you are shooting in burst mode or all the time? Also how do you download, a card reader or cable?
Does the image look ok on the camera? Try doing a raw to JPEG in camera see whether the raw really gets corrupted?
It seems like a write error, but maybe it is something on downloading. It is for sure a corrupted file, which is why you get the file error
I have only shot DNG RAW files so far. Someone suggested I try the PEF format and see if that changes anything.

It seemingly happens all the time -- regardless of whether I am shooting in burst mode or not.

I download via the SD card slot on my laptop. Perhaps I could try another method and see if that helps.

I am going to try a little experiment where next time I will leave an original copy of the images on the SD card and try downloading multiple ways and also try to open only an original copy in different software packages.

Thanks.
11-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #12
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Greensboro, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 147
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
There can't be anything wrong with the camera's sensor because any program that displays the JPG preview correctly uses the camera generated JPG thumbnail which is extracted from the raw file from within the camera.

I had a similar problem some two Years ago and it turned out to be a faulty computer memory module. In any case, I think it is a computer problem, I am almost certain. Perhaps you could try some other computer to confirm this theory.

In my case the strange thing was that IrfanView also had no problem opening any of my files. I think IrfanView is quite robust and makes possibly entirely different memory calls on the computer if this is possible. Otherwise I can't explain why with a faulty memory module it was working o.k.

Greetings
Thank you for responding.

It makes me chuckle a little that IrfanView, being a free piece of software, can handle these image problems better than my copy of Photoshop or Lightroom.

I will try another computer and I'm also going to try another method to download from my card to my PC. I have been using the SD card slot on my laptop, which is going on about 4 years so that could easily be the culprit.
11-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Greensboro, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 147
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
Hi

I just read this topic and frankly - THE ONLY REASON why this happens is due to Memory cards OR Fragmented / unformatted Hard Drives.

If the pictures look ok in the Digital Preview (LCD).

How I have been able to resolve this issue? Use Faststone to open the picture from the memory card and then converting to JPG from there. Since rest of the pictures are fine I can use Lightroom. Usually it happens with one or two images only.

Cheers!
Very interesting. Thank you for responding.

I am going to try a few things, including downloading the images to different hard drives and seeing if I get the same problems. I will keep an original copy on my SD card so I can conduct multiple trials with the exact same file.
11-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,312
QuoteOriginally posted by vagabond79 Quote
I have only shot DNG RAW files so far. Someone suggested I try the PEF format and see if that changes anything.

It seemingly happens all the time -- regardless of whether I am shooting in burst mode or not.

I download via the SD card slot on my laptop. Perhaps I could try another method and see if that helps.

I am going to try a little experiment where next time I will leave an original copy of the images on the SD card and try downloading multiple ways and also try to open only an original copy in different software packages.

Thanks.
Interesting with DNG it is a problem, but one thing you should try is DNG convert. It is an adobe program that can convert proprietary formats to DNG, what it really is is a file header that tells programs what to do with the raw data for each color. I had some DNG files from my K7 I think that PSP would not read so I used DG convert to re-convert them again to DNG. It worked fine after that. Maybe it is the header part of the DNG conversion that is screwed up.
11-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #15
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Greensboro, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 147
Original Poster
Ok, I wanted to update you all on what I found out.

I kept an original image on the SD card this time as a backup.

I took about 100 images and all looked fine on the camera LCD. I then looked at them in Adobe Bridge (CS3) and noticed 3 or 4 with the distortions mentioned earlier.

I then copied the original image from the SD card to a different place on my hard drive and tried to open it with other RAW developers (RawTherapee, Pentax Utility, Lightroom) and there were no distortions! I then tried to open the same file directly from Photoshop (bypassing Bridge) and also no distortions. So somehow, Adobe Bridge was corrupting the RAW file permanently upon viewing. I have no idea how or why this would happen. Maybe someone with more knowledge than I could shed some light on this. I am just glad to find out it is not a problem with the camera.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, distortion, distortions, file, forum, image, k-5, pentax help, program, window
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strange distortion on 18-135 at 40mm FreeSpirit9 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 08-31-2013 05:20 PM
K-5 strange focusing problem Geminiq Pentax K-5 1 09-18-2012 01:14 AM
Strange Rear-End focus problem with my K-5 RonHendriks1966 Pentax K-5 15 06-05-2012 08:34 AM
K-5 Strange noises chromo Pentax K-5 8 12-14-2011 05:03 PM
Really strange problem with K10d unclephil12 Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 12-31-2009 11:07 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:14 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top