Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Really strange K-5 Image Distortion Problem

I bought a K-5 from a forum member about 2 weeks ago with around 6k actuations. The camera was described as mint.

Randomly, I am getting really strange distortions on some of my RAW images (I'd say a few out of a hundred). Seen here: http://i.imgur.com/MWfFqEI.jpg

I have already tried two different SD cards and seen these distortions with each one.

Additionally, I have noticed the following:
- I see the distortions in Camera RAW and they remain when opened in Photoshop (CS3).

- The image looks fine in the RawTherapee (newest non-beta version) preview window but the file gives me an error when I try to open it for editing.

- The image looks fine in the Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 RAW editor browser window but when I try to make any edits in the "Laboratory" portion of the program, the distortion suddenly appears.

- I can open the file with no distortions in IrfanView, edit it, and save it as a jpeg and then the distortions DO NOT appear in any other program!

Any thoughts about what could be going on? It seems very strange to me. I sent a message to the seller asking if he's ever seen this before. Not sure if I should attempt to file some sort of formal complaint (or if I even have that option for items purchased on the forum).

Any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated.

Jon

11-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter

You say two SD cards, but are these cards new, and what is their speed rating? You can probably squeak by with a class 4 card, but I strongly recommend class 10 cards.
11-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
You say two SD cards, but are these cards new, and what is their speed rating? You can probably squeak by with a class 4 card, but I strongly recommend class 10 cards.
JimJohnson, the first card I tried was a Sandisk Ultra Class 10 30mb/s card I had used in my K10d for maybe 6 months. The second card is a Lexar Platinum II Class 10 30mb/s card that I bought new about a week ago.
11-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
Forum Member

that looks like either file damage or, if you tell the camera to record both raw and jpeg and they both look the same when viewing on a computer, then the problem is possibly the image data from the sensor is not being acquired or recorded properly in the early stages of the camera electronics.

I've had a number of compact cameras produce similar images when the sensors were failing (an old Sony sensor flaw)

11-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I took a look at your attached image, and I had several images come out looking almost identical when my K5 was about 4 months old. I'll also mention I only use Sandisk Extreme and Ultra cards. I found what I believe was my culprit since I haven't had it happen in about 6 months. When I was downloading my images from the camera, I would simply delete them from the card instead of formatting the card now and then. I then started getting images that looked like yours, right up until I formatted the card again. I haven't had it happen since, and I re-format my card every couple times I download from it.

No promises, just my experience and I hope it may work.
11-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It's definately a write error of some sort, judging by the fact that the error doesn't appear in previews and some programs can view the file and some can't (Irfanview; it's actually a very thorough program) it seems like a limited error due to a small amount of missing/misplaced data.

Try reformatting the cards, making sure there isnt a bit of dust, hair or something etc etc in both SD card slots, reset the camera etc. Also does it appear on the instant review?
11-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian

You sound like you shoot raw plus JPEG , does this happen only when you are shooting in burst mode or all the time? Also how do you download, a card reader or cable?
Does the image look ok on the camera? Try doing a raw to JPEG in camera see whether the raw really gets corrupted?
It seems like a write error, but maybe it is something on downloading. It is for sure a corrupted file, which is why you get the file error
11-05-2013, 03:08 AM   #8
Site Supporter

There can't be anything wrong with the camera's sensor because any program that displays the JPG preview correctly uses the camera generated JPG thumbnail which is extracted from the raw file from within the camera.

I had a similar problem some two Years ago and it turned out to be a faulty computer memory module. In any case, I think it is a computer problem, I am almost certain. Perhaps you could try some other computer to confirm this theory.

In my case the strange thing was that IrfanView also had no problem opening any of my files. I think IrfanView is quite robust and makes possibly entirely different memory calls on the computer if this is possible. Otherwise I can't explain why with a faulty memory module it was working o.k.

Greetings

11-05-2013, 04:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi

I just read this topic and frankly - THE ONLY REASON why this happens is due to Memory cards OR Fragmented / unformatted Hard Drives.

If the pictures look ok in the Digital Preview (LCD).

How I have been able to resolve this issue? Use Faststone to open the picture from the memory card and then converting to JPG from there. Since rest of the pictures are fine I can use Lightroom. Usually it happens with one or two images only.

Cheers!
11-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
Also does it appear on the instant review?
No, the error does not show up on the LCD screen. I even reloaded one of the images I saw as distorted in Camera Raw back to my SD card to test and it showed up properly on the LCD screen once again.
11-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
You sound like you shoot raw plus JPEG , does this happen only when you are shooting in burst mode or all the time? Also how do you download, a card reader or cable?
Does the image look ok on the camera? Try doing a raw to JPEG in camera see whether the raw really gets corrupted?
It seems like a write error, but maybe it is something on downloading. It is for sure a corrupted file, which is why you get the file error
I have only shot DNG RAW files so far. Someone suggested I try the PEF format and see if that changes anything.

It seemingly happens all the time -- regardless of whether I am shooting in burst mode or not.

I download via the SD card slot on my laptop. Perhaps I could try another method and see if that helps.

I am going to try a little experiment where next time I will leave an original copy of the images on the SD card and try downloading multiple ways and also try to open only an original copy in different software packages.

Thanks.
11-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
There can't be anything wrong with the camera's sensor because any program that displays the JPG preview correctly uses the camera generated JPG thumbnail which is extracted from the raw file from within the camera.

I had a similar problem some two Years ago and it turned out to be a faulty computer memory module. In any case, I think it is a computer problem, I am almost certain. Perhaps you could try some other computer to confirm this theory.

In my case the strange thing was that IrfanView also had no problem opening any of my files. I think IrfanView is quite robust and makes possibly entirely different memory calls on the computer if this is possible. Otherwise I can't explain why with a faulty memory module it was working o.k.

Greetings
Thank you for responding.

It makes me chuckle a little that IrfanView, being a free piece of software, can handle these image problems better than my copy of Photoshop or Lightroom.

I will try another computer and I'm also going to try another method to download from my card to my PC. I have been using the SD card slot on my laptop, which is going on about 4 years so that could easily be the culprit.
11-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
Hi

I just read this topic and frankly - THE ONLY REASON why this happens is due to Memory cards OR Fragmented / unformatted Hard Drives.

If the pictures look ok in the Digital Preview (LCD).

How I have been able to resolve this issue? Use Faststone to open the picture from the memory card and then converting to JPG from there. Since rest of the pictures are fine I can use Lightroom. Usually it happens with one or two images only.

Cheers!
Very interesting. Thank you for responding.

I am going to try a few things, including downloading the images to different hard drives and seeing if I get the same problems. I will keep an original copy on my SD card so I can conduct multiple trials with the exact same file.
11-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vagabond79 Quote
I have only shot DNG RAW files so far. Someone suggested I try the PEF format and see if that changes anything.

It seemingly happens all the time -- regardless of whether I am shooting in burst mode or not.

I download via the SD card slot on my laptop. Perhaps I could try another method and see if that helps.

I am going to try a little experiment where next time I will leave an original copy of the images on the SD card and try downloading multiple ways and also try to open only an original copy in different software packages.

Thanks.
Interesting with DNG it is a problem, but one thing you should try is DNG convert. It is an adobe program that can convert proprietary formats to DNG, what it really is is a file header that tells programs what to do with the raw data for each color. I had some DNG files from my K7 I think that PSP would not read so I used DG convert to re-convert them again to DNG. It worked fine after that. Maybe it is the header part of the DNG conversion that is screwed up.
11-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #15

Original Poster
Ok, I wanted to update you all on what I found out.

I kept an original image on the SD card this time as a backup.

I took about 100 images and all looked fine on the camera LCD. I then looked at them in Adobe Bridge (CS3) and noticed 3 or 4 with the distortions mentioned earlier.

I then copied the original image from the SD card to a different place on my hard drive and tried to open it with other RAW developers (RawTherapee, Pentax Utility, Lightroom) and there were no distortions! I then tried to open the same file directly from Photoshop (bypassing Bridge) and also no distortions. So somehow, Adobe Bridge was corrupting the RAW file permanently upon viewing. I have no idea how or why this would happen. Maybe someone with more knowledge than I could shed some light on this. I am just glad to find out it is not a problem with the camera.