Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 11:37 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-7 memory issues

Folks, I have a lovely K-7 but approximately 25% to 35% of the images I take cannot be read. I get an error message stating that the image is unreadable, and it cannot be retrieved. I had the same problem with my istD.

Secondly, I find that when I use an SDHD card of 16 GB or 32 GB, the camera tells me that the memory is full after approximately only 1 GB of storage. The cards seem to work fine in other cameras.

Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone seen this before and can guide me through it? It is hugely frustrating and I have been tempted to leave 35 years of Pentax loyalty behind me and move to another brand.

Regards
Nick

11-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you format the card in-camera?

I suggest to start with a new card. Format it in camera.

Hope that the comment may help.
11-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks hcc. Yes, I did format the cards in camera, and they work fine in other (less sophisticated) cameras. Reading through some other web-based fora I note that the problems I have experienced have been seen before. Both the issue of the cards declaring themselves to be full before they actually are, and the problem with a substantial amount of image files being unreadable. None of them seems to have a good solution attached to them though........ I'm still hoping that someone on this forum that is highly technical can guide me to a solution for each.

I saw it mentioned that the unreadable image problem could be due to the slow speed of "take up" of the image on the card, even though I am using high speed quality cards. The suggestion was to negate any onboard PP (whatever that means - is it file processing?) I'll have to read my instruction manual better.......unless you can take me through it?

Rgds
Nick
11-05-2013, 01:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter

PP is Post Processing. Turn off any processing your camera does to enhance a photo. What brand/s are the cards?

Is the unreadabilty in the camera or after or while, you are putting the images on your computer? And how are you uploading to the computer, via USB cable or through a card reader?

11-05-2013, 01:37 AM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NickDB Quote
Thanks hcc. Yes, I did format the cards in camera, and they work fine in other (less sophisticated) cameras. Reading through some other web-based fora I note that the problems I have experienced have been seen before. Both the issue of the cards declaring themselves to be full before they actually are, and the problem with a substantial amount of image files being unreadable. None of them seems to have a good solution attached to them though........ I'm still hoping that someone on this forum that is highly technical can guide me to a solution for each.

I saw it mentioned that the unreadable image problem could be due to the slow speed of "take up" of the image on the card, even though I am using high speed quality cards. The suggestion was to negate any onboard PP (whatever that means - is it file processing?) I'll have to read my instruction manual better.......unless you can take me through it?

Rgds
Nick
Nick

Generally, it is recommended to switch OFF all in-camera processing, incl. lens distortion correction, High-ISO correction, .... All these can be done much better later on computer with greater accuracy and much better results.

Personally, I have also a K-7 and I process my files in computer using the Pentax software PDCU (comes free with the camera). Pentax Digital Camera Utility (PCDU) is powerful and gives good results, but not as user-friendly as other (not-free) software.

Lastly I encourage you strongly to read the manual. It took me a couple of weeks to get all, but this helped me to improve drastically my shooting and the quality of my photo.

Hope that this may help.