Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Decisions upgrading...

I haven't posted much on here but Ive been a pentaxian since k110d came out. Then I got 2 kx's couple years back which is what I have now with a tammy 18-200, Samyang 14, m50, and dal 55-300. My main photography is storm chasing/lightning, nature, astro- on orion 120mm. My main headache right now is that I know its time to upgrade. k30, k50, 5II, or k3. Workin with a limited budget (aren't we all), Im trying to talk myself into buying smarter. (k30 or 50 with good lens vs. k3 body or k5II). Opinions from those who have been there? Maybe look at my photos and see what can up my game in the smartest way? Thanks.

brandonshanegreen's photosets on Flickr

11-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There are bargain prices for K5 now that the K3 is released
11-05-2013, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brandon14295 Quote
I haven't posted much on here but Ive been a pentaxian since k110d came out. Then I got 2 kx's couple years back which is what I have now with a tammy 18-200, Samyang 14, m50, and dal 55-300. My main photography is storm chasing/lightning, nature, astro- on orion 120mm. My main headache right now is that I know its time to upgrade. k30, k50, 5II, or k3. Workin with a limited budget (aren't we all), Im trying to talk myself into buying smarter. (k30 or 50 with good lens vs. k3 body or k5II). Opinions from those who have been there? Maybe look at my photos and see what can up my game in the smartest way? Thanks.

brandonshanegreen's photosets on Flickr
If you're on a budget, wait for black friday and get a K-5 II. There will be some great deals!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Is that the II and/or IIs Adam, are you able to say? Your note sounds pretty definitive, and that might be enough for me also. Hmmm ...

11-05-2013, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

The upper tier cameras have a socket for a wired remote, which could be useful but I guess you're not missing it on the K-x. Most or all the new models have an internal interval timer, which I use for lightning or fireworks. WR is nice to have but you need the WR lenses too. Everything that's new and not a K-3 has pretty much the same sensor and many other specs. The K-3 will probably hold its top-tire price for months.

I would try to find the budget for a WR body and one WR lens to start.
11-05-2013, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I went through a similar decision recently and I take many of the same types of photos you do, mostly storms, lightning, and landscapes. I was upgrading from a K200D with a DA15, WR 18-55, DA70, and Tamron 70-300 F4-5.6.

I liked the DA15 but I missed the ability to zoom in when working quickly (as we need to do near storms as you know). I found it annoying to switch to the 18-55 WR when I wanted a tighter frame and was usually disappointed with the results from the 18-55.

After much back and forth I decided on selling all of the above to get a used K-5 and DA16-45, and I still have about $400 left over for another lens or two! I haven't had a chance to test it thoroughly outdoors yet, but I'm really happy with the IQ improvement in the 16-45 over the WR 18-55. The results at 16mm should be close enough to the DA15 for me to be satisfied despite maybe a little loss in center sharpness. My DA15 was somewhat soft in the corners and I like more even sharpness across the frame in my storm photos, which the 16-45 seems to do well.

Another selling point for me for a K-5 over a K-30/50 was the 14-bit RAW files to handle the big range of light in storm shots. I hope AE bracketing and PP to get the range of light will be less of a necessity now.