Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #1

ist ds shutter and focusing problems

Hello! I'm brand new here. Looking for help. I recently bought an ist DS on ebay. When it arrived, I played around with it for awhile, and everything worked great, while looking up some info online, such as what memory cards it supports, etc., I discovered the firmware update. Followed the instructions, to a t. The firmware upload said complete. all the settings seem to be normal, everything works on the camera except....the shutter does not work unless the lens is removed. then it works just fine, also the autofocus does not work at all. When I turn the power on, and when I turn the lever to field of depth preview, there is a barely audible click, like it is trying to engage, but can not. I have tried three lenses, with the same issues. Please help!!

11-06-2013, 01:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If you are lucky it might just be a setting (the firmware update probably reset all the settings to default). Check the aperture ring on the lenses and make sure they are set to A. If they are set to a specific setting, and the camera is set to not allow use of the aperture ring, it will behave just like yours is with no auto focus and shutter wont fire, unless you remove the lens and then the shutter will fire (just checked it on mine). Se one of the lenses to the A setting and try again to see if that fixes it. If it does. push the menu button, go to the last page of options, about half way down through the options there should be an option to allow use of there aperture ring (be aware the options scroll so there are more than what you first see on the screen). I think there is also a setting that will not let it fire unless focus is detected but that would not stop auto focus. I would check the manual for other things that would stop it from firing if a certain condition isn't present (no other ones come to mind right now but I haven't used the ds in a while).
11-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #3

Original Poster
Ripit, Thank you so much! You solved it. I had already thought of the aperture ringsetting on the lens itself, and checked that to no avail. One of my lenses doesn't even have a manual aperture ring. But I was unaware of the "allow use of aperture..." setting on the custom settings of the camera. I set that, and it works perfectly. I was worried I had screwed the firmware up. I can't thank you enough!
11-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swcgrtra Quote
Ripit, Thank you so much! You solved it. I had already thought of the aperture ringsetting on the lens itself, and checked that to no avail. One of my lenses doesn't even have a manual aperture ring. But I was unaware of the "allow use of aperture..." setting on the custom settings of the camera. I set that, and it works perfectly. I was worried I had screwed the firmware up. I can't thank you enough!
Ok, perhaps you can help me with another question. I just tried to manually set the aperture on my Tamron Aspherical AF 28-80 (non digital) lens, and it makes the camera automatically go into MF mode...is that normal or a setting issue?

11-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When you move the lens aperture ring off the A setting, the camera should show "F--" on the top LCD and in the viewfinder, but auto focus should still work. It does on mine with an older Pentax autofocus lens. Tamron might have done something different.

However, there's no good reason to move that aperture ring off of A. When the ring is not set to A, none of the modes work properly except M, M only works with stop-down metering, the multi-segment metering won't work, the internal flash fires at full power, the EXIF won't record aperture data... The camera is way happier when the lens has an A position. If your lens works that way, I wouldn't worry about the problem.
11-07-2013, 04:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

What Just1MoreDave said is right but something to be aware of. The internal flash will fire at full power if it is away from A or its a manual lens with no A setting, but with an external ttl flash, it will meter correctly away from A and on manual lenses. ttl is the old metering system for flashes and would meter stopped down, so the camera didn't have to know the aperture. The main point being you could use full manual lenses with no A setting and the flash would meter correctly. This generation was the last generation of pentax's that had a ttl sensor. The ist-d is fully functional with ttl and can use both the internal flash and external flashes with manual lenses. With the ist-ds, ttl on the internal flash was disabled (to the best of my knowledge, nobody knows why as it could use the sensor and work with manual lenses). It does work with external flashes though.

Basically this just means that you can use and old external ttl flash (they can be gotten pretty cheap) and they will work fine with any lenses, auto or manual. It also means you can use an external flash with manual lenses (you can not with newer cameras unless you use a thyristor model or something). They are of lower value, because they can not be used on any cameras newer than these (unless you are using a slave trigger or something). Just beware of the trigger voltage as some old ones were high voltage and it can damage your camera.
12-07-2013, 12:23 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by swcgrtra Quote
Hello! I'm brand new here. Looking for help. I recently bought an ist DS on ebay. When it arrived, I played around with it for awhile, and everything worked great, while looking up some info online, such as what memory cards it supports, etc., I discovered the firmware update. Followed the instructions, to a t. The firmware upload said complete. all the settings seem to be normal, everything works on the camera except....the shutter does not work unless the lens is removed. then it works just fine, also the autofocus does not work at all. When I turn the power on, and when I turn the lever to field of depth preview, there is a barely audible click, like it is trying to engage, but can not. I have tried three lenses, with the same issues. Please help!!
Now I am just being plain cheeky. Could you let me know what you paid for the 1stD as I have one to sell and would like an idea of what to ask. thank you in advance.
12-07-2013, 12:27 AM   #8

A clean low shutter count ist DS goes around $140 on eBay.

12-08-2013, 05:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Personally I would go a little cheaper than that. You probably could have gotten that easy a year ago but prices have dropped. There are too many new cameras coming out and ones that are newer than the ds with shake reduction and more sensitive sensors are dropping in price. Keh is selling them for $100 in ex condition, $110 in ex+ condition and several have sold recently under $100 on ebay. Seems the ones on ebay in the $100-150 range (that actually sold) are sold with one or more lenses, camera bag etc. OF course if its in really pristine condition and or has a really low shutter count, you might get a little more.