Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #1

P-TTL Noob Question - Help Much Appreciated

Hi all,

Let me preface by saying that I am no stranger to flash or lighting in general. My background is in film and video production and I've been shooting since before I could legally drive. Perhaps because of this, I find TTL anything beyond confusing.

I've second shot a few weddings recently, and I didn't dislike it nearly as much as I thought I would, so I've agreed to do a few more for the same photographer. BUT... I've done all of the shooting and lighting manually and I would like to go P-TTL to test a couple ideas that I have (also, HSS and second-curtain would be fun to play with)...

I was set to order a used AF 360 FGZ when I noticed that, in order to use off-camera, it requires the use of two additional pieces of gear - a hotshoe adapter and a 5 pin cable. Can this be correct? I can't find anything to support this and it would add nearly a hundred bucks to the order.

Thanks in advance for any help you could offer.

11-07-2013, 02:00 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can shoot the AF-360FGZ wirelessly if your camera has an on board flash which can act in controller mode. You don't say what camera you are using, but I'd suggest you look up the specs for the camera to find out.

The AF-360FGZ has just been replaced by the new AF-360FGZ II. I'd suggest that you purchase this one instead of the original 360 as it now has a swivelling head, not just tilting.

For the non wireless connection you will need a Hot Shoe Adapter FG for the camera, an Off Camera Shoe Adapter F for the flash, and a cable Extension Cord F5P to go between them. If you did purchase the older AF-540FGZ you will not need the Off Camera Shoe Adapter as this flash only has a 5P socket in the side. It does not look like either of the new flashes now have an inbuilt 5P socket.

The only difference between the new 360 and 540 flashes is the power level. All other functions are the same.

Pentax cameras prior to the new K-3 seem to have a bug hardwired into their flash metering circuitry that leads to over exposure when a P-TTL flash is used in bounce mode. Direct flash is fine, but bounce can be a problem. The new light metering circuitry in the K-3 is reported to have fixed this problem.

Regards

Chris
11-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The cable is a universal one that first came out with theAF500Ftz in the early 1990's. My flash came with the cable, something Thad does not happen now,

Aside from that either the AF540FGZ or it's little brother will do what you need, it is only a question of flash power, divide the model number by 10 and you have the flash GN.
11-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Forum Member

I wouldn't buy an AF-360FGZ. I find Pentax flashes terribly overpriced. In my country a Sigma 610 DG Super is less expensive than an AF-360FGZ and by features there's no comparison.

11-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Unlimited Quote
I wouldn't buy an AF-360FGZ. I find Pentax flashes terribly overpriced. In my country a Sigma 610 DG Super is less expensive than an AF-360FGZ and by features there's no comparison.
Perhaps, but that does not change the fact that the OP will still need a cable to do off camera flash without a flash mounted on the camera as well or a radio slave.

There are many people who don't want to use a flash on camera as a master because they do not want direct lighting
11-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Big Ben a google search for pentax p-ttl cord will bring you up loads of third party cable options for example Lastolite Off Camera Flash Cord 3m - Pentax (2426) - Wex Photographic

Ther used too be a pttl wireless trigger from aokatec but they don't seem to list it any more, pity that works really well if you want pttl off camera with out the input from the commander flash
11-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks all for the help. Spot on Lowell, I do not wish to use on-camera flash. Unlimited, I'm having a hard time justifying the cost of any P-TTL flash. Aside from my Alien Bees and Einsteins, none of my flashes cost more than $75 - used Nikon SB-24s, and cheap Chinese knockoffbrands like Yongnuo and Neewer. So if there's a less expensive P-TTL option, I'm all for it, but I don't really run across used third-party P-TTL flashes in my search. I've found used 360's for $120-150, which I'm ok with. adwb, thanks for the link - seems to be just what I'm looking for. Cheers, all, thanks for the assistance.
11-14-2013, 03:43 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The whole flash thing has me shaking my head, just a little.

When you look at the options, you have auto, TTL (although limited to the *istD) and P-TTL

For me TTL was the best, most versatile. And the *istD could support both this and TTL. While I can understand entry level cameras dropping TTL, why they did so on the flagship body is beyond me. In so many situations it works better than TTL, and allows easy slaving (Nikon sb26 I think is the one that can slave to any brand TTL for example)

11-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Ben Quote
Thanks all for the help. Spot on Lowell, I do not wish to use on-camera flash. Unlimited, I'm having a hard time justifying the cost of any P-TTL flash. Aside from my Alien Bees and Einsteins, none of my flashes cost more than $75 - used Nikon SB-24s, and cheap Chinese knockoffbrands like Yongnuo and Neewer. So if there's a less expensive P-TTL option, I'm all for it, but I don't really run across used third-party P-TTL flashes in my search. I've found used 360's for $120-150, which I'm ok with. adwb, thanks for the link - seems to be just what I'm looking for. Cheers, all, thanks for the assistance.
don't know where you are but my aokatec kit I bought and never used except to test it is for sale
11-16-2013, 06:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

So since you want off camera, the Pentax 360 or 540 would be your best options because they offer a wireless pttl mode. With this, you can avoid cords and wireless triggers as long as your camera can be set to wireless mode. In the menu, you can set if you want the cameras on board flash to be used in the exposure or if it is just a trigger, but will not contribute to the exposure. Of course, this also relays on the camera you are using supporting this feature.

As to the overexposure issue with the flash on bounce, I do not have this issue at all with my IIs. I did have some issues withy the k5, but pulling out the diffuser panel and the software update seems to have fixed it. I have shot many weddings at this point and not had any issues.
11-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #11
Pentaxian

But the problem may be that to run off camera you may need two flashes, I think I heard somewhere that later bodies can't use the built in flash as the master.
11-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
But the problem may be that to run off camera you may need two flashes, I think I heard somewhere that later bodies can't use the built in flash as the master.
What do you deem as 'later bodies'? Both my previous K-r and current K-30 can use the built-in flash in either Master or Control modes with a wireless P-TTL external flash for all functions except HSS. For off-camera HSS you either need two HSS & wireless capable flashes or you need to connect the off-camera flash to the hotshoe using a P-TTL compatible cable.
11-18-2013, 03:19 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
What do you deem as 'later bodies'? Both my previous K-r and current K-30 can use the built-in flash in either Master or Control modes with a wireless P-TTL external flash for all functions except HSS. For off-camera HSS you either need two HSS & wireless capable flashes or you need to connect the off-camera flash to the hotshoe using a P-TTL compatible cable.
*istD runs HSS wireless from the body flash