Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2013, 12:56 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Thank you, you're very helpful. Can you help me with one more thing? The brighter area in the middle of the image (you can see it clearly against the wall and less clearly and a bit purple against the sky), what causes that? is it just the aperture of 22? Does more light get throgh in the middle where the tiny aperture hole is and is that what causes that? It doesn't really bother me since I don't think I will ever use that aperture, it's not even required for landscape photography if you use a wide-angle (I don't do landscape photography so correct me if I'm wrong), but it's there so I would like to know what it is?

11-08-2013, 12:59 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To be honest, I think it might be a spot on the wall, I can't see it in the shot of the sky on my monitor. I don't think you've anything to worry about
11-08-2013, 01:15 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
To be honest, I think it might be a spot on the wall, I can't see it in the shot of the sky on my monitor. I don't think you've anything to worry about
No, it's really there. My eyes can see it quite easily in the sky picture, I enhanced the contrast for you.

Last edited by tripodquest; 11-08-2013 at 03:16 AM.
11-08-2013, 01:54 AM   #19
Site Supporter

It seems to be in the centre of the sensor? I'm trying to have another look at the shots of the wall you posted, and the sky shot, but can't find the posts?

Do you see the "spot" when you use other lenses, and are you sure the back element of your lens are clean, without ant finger print smudge on it?

That is not dust, so I would try to eliminate any outside causes first, you might also take a flash light and have a quick look at that part of the sensor and see if you can see any obvious reason for such a spot... perhaps a small drop of water got on it somehow and dried, leaving a bit of residue...? Anything like that would necessitate a wet clean, which is a bit more delicate, and should perhaps be better off done by a pro at a shop...

11-08-2013, 02:01 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It seems to be in the centre of the sensor? I'm trying to have another look at the shots of the wall you posted, and the sky shot, but can't find the posts?

Do you see the "spot" when you use other lenses, and are you sure the back element of your lens are clean, without ant finger print smudge on it?

That is not dust, so I would try to eliminate any outside causes first, you might also take a flash light and have a quick look at that part of the sensor and see if you can see any obvious reason for such a spot... perhaps a small drop of water got on it somehow and dried, leaving a bit of residue...? Anything like that would necessitate a wet clean, which is a bit more delicate, and should perhaps be better off done by a pro at a shop...
Oh, so sorry! Here they are:

Last edited by tripodquest; 11-08-2013 at 03:16 AM.
11-08-2013, 02:01 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Iyou sure the back element of your lens are clean, without ant finger print smudge on it?
I haven't checked yet, I will check. Last time i looked at the sensor I didn't see anything there and I think I would have, but I will check again.
11-08-2013, 02:16 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Even zoomed in quite a lot, I still can't see it in the sky shot... I don't think you should worry to much about it, but if you want to be sure, it might be best to take or send it in for a pro opinion
Attached Images

11-08-2013, 02:26 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster

i tried it with another lens that only goes to f/16, but it's there.

11-08-2013, 02:27 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Even zoomed in quite a lot, I still can't see it in the sky shot... I don't think you should worry to much about it, but if you want to be sure, it might be best to take or send it in for a pro opinion
wow, I can even see it in the thumbnails... maybe it's your monitor? not enough gamma?
11-08-2013, 02:46 AM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tripodquest Quote
wow, I can even see it in the thumbnails... maybe it's your monitor? not enough gamma?
I'm working on an old laptop, so anything is possible...however, if it really bothers you that much, it might be better to send it to your nearest Pentax service centre to be sure. Let them check it out, and please report back to us when you get it back, I'm very interested to know what they find.
11-08-2013, 03:15 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm working on an old laptop, so anything is possible...however, if it really bothers you that much, it might be better to send it to your nearest Pentax service centre to be sure. Let them check it out, and please report back to us when you get it back, I'm very interested to know what they find.
It kind of bothers me, but I'm not sure if it bothers me enough to send it anywhere. I'll think about it.
11-08-2013, 04:01 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Ok, I've upped the contrast, clarity and saturation to maximum, and now I do see something, but what I see beneath the spot is what worries me, are you sure you or somebody else haven't tried a wet clean on the sensor before, because it seems like a smear mark, which IMO indicates a bit of a botched wet clean attempt, or as I said before, a drop of something which spread a bit on the sensor, before drying... a proper wet clean should be able to rectify that...
Attached Images

11-08-2013, 04:08 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok, I've upped the contrast, clarity and saturation to maximum, and now I do see something, but what I see beneath the spot is what worries me, are you sure you or somebody else haven't tried a wet clean on the sensor before, because it seems like a smear mark, which IMO indicates a bit of a botched wet clean attempt, or as I said before, a drop of something which spread a bit on the sensor, before drying... a proper wet clean should be able to rectify that...
I haven't tried to clean it with anything (I wouldn't dare) and the camera was sold as new, in original packaging with everything bagged and tagged, but I can't be sure no one else tried to clean it or if it's really new, if some company really is so dishonest. I do use manual lenses in the rain but I've never had a problem with that and I dry the outside of the camera after use and if the lens looks really wet then I take it off and let it dry by itself. Now you have me worried, I was alredy convinced that might be just another dust particle or something like that.
11-08-2013, 04:15 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Original Poster
In your contrast enhancement I noticed a few more blurry translucent dark spots like the one you pointed out, do you think those are the same thing, or just dust so small it lets light through? I circled them:
Attached Images

11-08-2013, 04:20 AM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tripodquest Quote
I haven't tried to clean it with anything (I wouldn't dare) and the camera was sold as new, in original packaging with everything bagged and tagged, but I can't be sure no one else tried to clean it or if it's really new, if some company really is so dishonest. I do use manual lenses in the rain but I've never had a problem with that and I dry the outside of the camera after use and if the lens looks really wet then I take it off and let it dry by itself. Now you have me worried, I was alredy convinced that might be just another dust particle or something like that.
No, the dust spots is the quite obvious ones, it might be the "production" clean that was not done very well, before packaging... I feel sure a decent wet clean should take care of that. I've done quite a few wet cleans on my cameras, and if you have just a little too much moisture on your swab, it does not dry quickly enough, it leaves such streaks, and then you just do it again till its fine. In factory, I don't think they'll check it at this pixel level we're looking after cleaning it...