Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
Inactive Account

sensor damage / speck / warranty?

It took me a while to notice this since I always use fast apertures (f/1.2 - f/2.8) and almost never anything smaller than that but it was noticeable today.

A "darkened" circle, quite large at apertures f/1.2 - f/2 (I tried with more than one lens, the size of the thing depends on the focal length). You can see the details underneath it at f/1.2 - f/2, it just looks darker. At f/22 there are no details, just black.

If you close the aperture down to f/22 or so, it's completely black and the shape of a stylized letter S (but thicker, kind of like a lemon?) I haven't uploaded the images so I only used the LCD to check them but if someone is good at math, at 20x-22x enlargement the thing fills the entire LCD.

flipped the mirror with the sensor cleaning function and blew some air in there and closed it (I don't dare do any more by myself, I rather send it away under the warranty) after doing that, the place of the spot changed a little which made me relieved because that means it can't be any permanent damage, right?

I looked at the sensor when the mirror was flipped and it's some black thing, I don't know what, first I was afraid it's a dent but I think it's just dust or something like that. You can clearly see it with your bare eyes but it's not huge, maybe a millimeter of some fractions. It sits at the top, I can see the sensor beneath it and it actually casts a shadow on the sensor. that must be right, I just checked at the black spot (in the image) changed place AND angle, it's not turned more sideways.

It must be just a cleaning issue? if that's true I'm happy, I was worried it was something permanent.

I noticed another thing, at f/22 there is a lighter area smack in the middle of the image, the rest of the image is normal. It's not much lighter, you have to look for it to notice. Is this just the apterture? Or something else?

11-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tripodquest Quote
It took me a while to notice this since I always use fast apertures (f/1.2 - f/2.8) and almost never anything smaller than that but it was noticeable today.

A "darkened" circle, quite large at apertures f/1.2 - f/2 (I tried with more than one lens, the size of the thing depends on the focal length). You can see the details underneath it at f/1.2 - f/2, it just looks darker. At f/22 there are no details, just black.

If you close the aperture down to f/22 or so, it's completely black and the shape of a stylized letter S (but thicker, kind of like a lemon?) I haven't uploaded the images so I only used the LCD to check them but if someone is good at math, at 20x-22x enlargement the thing fills the entire LCD.

flipped the mirror with the sensor cleaning function and blew some air in there and closed it (I don't dare do any more by myself, I rather send it away under the warranty) after doing that, the place of the spot changed a little which made me relieved because that means it can't be any permanent damage, right?

I looked at the sensor when the mirror was flipped and it's some black thing, I don't know what, first I was afraid it's a dent but I think it's just dust or something like that. You can clearly see it with your bare eyes but it's not huge, maybe a millimeter of some fractions. It sits at the top, I can see the sensor beneath it and it actually casts a shadow on the sensor. that must be right, I just checked at the black spot (in the image) changed place AND angle, it's not turned more sideways.

It must be just a cleaning issue? if that's true I'm happy, I was worried it was something permanent.

I noticed another thing, at f/22 there is a lighter area smack in the middle of the image, the rest of the image is normal. It's not much lighter, you have to look for it to notice. Is this just the apterture? Or something else?
Sounds like dust or hair, please post a sample.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Take an image of the sky, clear or with even clouds, at f22, and post the pic, then we'll be able to confirm if it's just some dust or something else
11-08-2013, 12:17 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sounds like dust or hair, please post a sample.
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Take an image of the sky, clear or with even clouds, at f22, and post the pic, then we'll be able to confirm if it's just some dust or something else
I'm just uploaded samples as attachments... and wow do I notice hairs in my new samples, I think my blowing air in there actually made it worse This is why I don't try to do things myself.

First picture at 1.4, other two at f/22. At f/22 you can also see two lighter areas, one in the middle and one on the right side, lower part, No idea what those are either.

The second picture is after I blew some air in, see how the spec moved?

developed in-camera, uploaded as-is, I don't know what the PF compression did to them.

ps. the pictures aren't correctly exposed or anything because i was panicking while taking them.

Last edited by tripodquest; 11-08-2013 at 01:27 AM.
11-08-2013, 12:20 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by tripodquest Quote
I'm just uploaded samples as attachments... and wow do I notice hairs in my new samples, I think my blowing air in there actually made it worse This is why I don't try to do things myself.

First picture at 1.4, other two at f/22. At f/22 you can also see two lighter areas, one in the middle and one on the right side, lower part, No idea what those are either.

The second picture is after I blew some air in, see how the spec moved?

developed in-camera, uploaded as-is, I don't know what the PF compression did to them.

ps. the pictures aren't correctly exposed or anything because i was panicking while taking them.
Looks like you've got a pretty dirty sensor. Get it professionally cleaned and you should be good to go!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

+1, there are quite a few threads on how to do it yourself, also check out youtube, it's not that hard to do. In the long run it might be worth it to learn how to do it, because you're always going to get dust on the sensor at some stage with a DSLR camera, especially if you change lenses often..
11-08-2013, 12:30 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Looks like you've got a pretty dirty sensor. Get it professionally cleaned and you should be good to go!
and my camera isn't even that old! I don't know how that happened it's not like i leave my camera lying around without a lens or body cap on it.

so you don't see anything that would be a cause for alarm? thank you for your quick reply.

11-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
+1, there are quite a few threads on how to do it yourself, also check out youtube, it's not that hard to do. In the long run it might be worth it to learn how to do it, because you're always going to get dust on the sensor at some stage with a DSLR camera, especially if you change lenses often..
I change lenses more often than I change socks, and I don't wear dirty socks...

I'm just afraid doing anything myself will cause damage not covered by the warranty.

Ps. the requested sky pic below.

Last edited by tripodquest; 11-08-2013 at 01:28 AM.
11-08-2013, 12:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

All dust... Go into the cleanest room in your house, usually the bathroom, make sure there is no draught, try the blower again, but do not blow to hard. While blowing try to hold the camera mount facing in a downward position, with the tip of the blower just outside it, and check the results, you might have to do this a few times. Always blow dust from the back of any lens before you mount it. Also setting the dust removal at startup, might help...
11-08-2013, 12:43 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Can I use an off-brand blower like this

that costs 7 euros ($10) or should i look for an official one? is there an official one? I'm only looking to use the blower, nothing else.

I'm asking because I want to know if a blower like that will cause more dust to gather or damage the sensor.

There's an official sensor cleaning kit from Pentax with a pen/stick with a "special head" (I think it's loaded with static electricity?) that collects dust, and a cleaning cloth (sticky paper/fly paper to get the collected dust off the pen) but is it really worth the 50 euros? (that was the cheapest offer, it also sells for 60+ euros)
11-08-2013, 12:46 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
All dust... Go into the cleanest room in your house, usually the bathroom, make sure there is no draught, try the blower again, but do not blow to hard. While blowing try to hold the camera mount facing in a downward position, with the tip of the blower just outside it, and check the results, you might have to do this a few times. Always blow dust from the back of any lens before you mount it. Also setting the dust removal at startup, might help...
Okay, I will do that. Thank you for your reply. I'm relieved to hear it's only dust and the sensor isn't damaged.
11-08-2013, 12:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I started with the same kind of blower you are showing, but later moved to a little bigger and more powerful one, https://www.google.co.za/search?q=giotto+blower&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&s...w=1600&bih=813
11-08-2013, 12:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

This image in the link, shows the position you should hold the camera when blowing...
11-08-2013, 12:52 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster

This image in the link, shows the position you should hold the camera when blowing...
Thank you for that, even that I would have gotten wrong that position makes a lot more sense than the hole pointing UPWARDS like I did it
11-08-2013, 12:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

This is also a very informative link How to Cheaply and Safely Clean Your Camera’s DSLR Sensor