Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
You read my mind!

A certain 'big box' has some really good deals on the N brand right now, but the 3200/3100/5200 are just too dinky for me. I don't mean that in a negative way. Their top controls are backward for me and I've really found I like the top LCD so a Pentax or Nikon like that, K5, D7000 works better for me. I appreciate a smaller camera but one of the heavier models feels better in my hand. I didn't go back to Canon when I got into DSLR's because I just didn't like their feel. I prefer to stay with the 'older' models rather than the new-hottest for two reasons; the two-five year old models are just fine for me, those newfangled 'features' are wasted on me anyway. Some I am learning to appreciate but...I digress.

I think Black Friday just might have some good deals, especially on the 'last year' stuff.

QuoteOriginally posted by Chapchalk Quote
Thanks for everyone's input. Funds of course are a concern but I really want something I will be happy with for awhile. As you all know technology changes so quickly. Wondering if anyone will have big sales around the holidays.

11-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm curious to know what is about your current Rebel XS that you don't like. What is it not doing that you need? Is your Rebel preventing you from taking specific types of photos? Or is this just an upgrade for better image quality?
11-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're looking to upgrade to something more technical, more flexible, and a camera to expand your personal capabilities, I'd think a K5 might be the way to go - losing the shooting modes in favor of camera modes, the more flexible controls and that top LCD might be the way to go. You're going to have to do some learning on your own, of course. If you're just looking for a more capable bit of hardware - good low-light performance ets. then the K50 (or even K30) is probably the way to go.

I'm a fan of the 18-135 as well - if you have a weatherproof body it's great to have a matching lens...
11-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FrankC Quote
I'm curious to know what is about your current Rebel XS that you don't like. What is it not doing that you need? Is your Rebel preventing you from taking specific types of photos? Or is this just an upgrade for better image quality?
As of late the photos have not been that great. Sometimes it is a little slow and outside with lots of light my pictures of my son are blurry when he is in motion.

11-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

The one big factor I can share is TAv mode- where my camera lives most of the time. You specify shutter speed and aperture and balance the ISO based on those parameters - I find it very useful. You can keep the shutter speed fast enough to fit the action. You can probably do some of this with the Rebel, though I don't know the modes etc. of that camera so I can't be of much help.
11-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #21

Original Poster
So I decided on the K 30....since it will be first experience with the brand and I am really just a hobbyist it should meet my needs. Thanks for all the advice. I am sure I will need more when it arrives later this week.
11-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chapchalk Quote
I currently own an entry level Canon Rebel xs with a tamron 18-270 mm lens. I am looking to upgrade and have been researching Pentax. I am by no means a professional but I certainly enjoy taking photos. My subject matter is mostly of my children and family. I do like landscape photography as well there is beauty all around us. I was looking at the K30 with an 18-135 but wonder if I should just go big and go with the K3. I have been watching YouTube reviews and reading online reviews and just not sure what would be best. Unfortunately no camera stores around me carry the Pentax so I am not able to do a hands on test drive.
K-50 is actually a 'newer' camera than K-30. A bit weird I know. Take a look.

A better solution, I think, is stay with Canon, and buy the 50mm f1.8 that cost about $120.
Upgrading to T3i, T4i wouldn't cost much as well. So a T3i/T4i + 50mm will get you more "keeper".