Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2013, 01:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not sure which camera/lens to get??

Hi,

I am tired of the bad quality I get from my point and shoot, and love the results of DSLRs, so decided I want to buy one.

Looking through the options it seemed that I'd narrowed it down, but I keep seeing other options.

I'm thinking of the K-30 mostly, and have done quite a bit of research to come to this conclusion. I looked at the K-5 as well, but decided I would rather go with the newer processor, and be able to buy the camera in a store. The K-5 II and II s seem very appealing, but unfortunately they're both quite far out of my price range.

Another option I was thinking of is the Canon EOS 700D - there is now an offer to get it with the 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS, 50mm f/1.8 Lenses, extra battery, Lowepro Orion Daypack and Tripod. I think I'd probably prefer the K-30 and 18-135mm WR lens to this, though, which I can get for the same price of $1099. Not sure. Any thoughts?

My original budget was about $900 but seeing as you can't get a decent, newish DSLR with a decent lens for this price, I decided I could go up to $1100. With the lens(es). Really can't go much above that, at least for the moment.

I'm thinking of shooting mostly landscapes, some wildlife, and just a random pic of anything here and there. I want a camera I can take on hikes etc. without too much weight to worry about. I also want it to be a camera that I can grow into and won't have to buy another camera any time soon (e.g. 10 years or something) unless I REALLY love photography and want to be a professional or whatever.

At the moment I'm thinking the 18-135mm WR. I'd really like a WR lens so that I can go out in the rain!

Any thoughts about camera/lens options? And for when I have a bit more money to spend on lenses, other lenses I could get?(not sure when this will be, so for now I'd like a lens that will be useful for many things)

Thanks so much.

11-11-2013, 02:43 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If that's your budget, I suggesting going with this Pentax K-50 kit (same as the K-30 but a bit newer) at then using the $200 gift certificate that's included in this bonus bundle toward the purchase of a 18-135mm. That will keep you well under $1000, plus you'll get lots of free goodies like the bag, memory card, and extended warranty! Sell the 18-55mm for $100 and you'll probably keep it under $900.

Pentax K-50 Digial SLR Camera w/Pentax DA L 18-55mm WR Lens, Black - Bundle "B" 10894 B

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-11-2013, 03:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

K30 with 18-135 is a good choice. For wildlife you need something longer than 135mm; the DA55-300 is well regarded and there is now a newer WR version.

Quote from Pentax K-50 Review - Conclusion - PentaxForums.com
QuoteQuote:
With that said, the K-50 is essentially nothing more than a K-30 in a redesigned casing. The differences that do exist between these two cameras are subtle and do not affect image quality or usability. The only new feature to speak of is dedicated support for eye-fi wireless SD cards. Thus, relative to the competition, Pentax has stood still for about a year now.
So check what the best offer is that you can get for one of the two.

With regards to other lenses (except the already mentioned 55-300)
Something a bit faster like the DA35/2.4 or DA50/1.8 (to stay with Pentax). Your budget is your limit here ranging from 100 or 200 USD to 1000+ USD.

And a decent flash and tripod are also options; sometimes more useful than other lenses.
11-11-2013, 05:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Just a couple of things here for the OP to consider, in this era of new technology etc, 10 years is a long time to wait for a new camera..

When you consider today you do not generally print other than display photos, with the rest being only saved on a computer, you save $0.25 for every shot you take over film. Take this into account. Consider upgrading when you have paid off the camera with savings.

As for the total investment, the monetary value expressed is not enough to cover all things. Fr wild life you really need a minimum of 300mm and it should be really F4 or faster to allow you to do a lot of what you want, this leaves you quite limited.

Since you want fast lenses for wild life, a wide range zoom Is generally not the best either in terms of quality or speed.

The for landscapes you need to consider 1-2 primes, but start by playing with a zoom until you discover what focal length rage you like.

All this being said, something like the 18-135 is not too bad as a start, but plan on adding a long lens for wild life.

The other option if you want long on a budget is to get a Pentax Q with the K adaptor, and pick up an old 135mm lens. This gives you something equal to a 750mm lens, at a budget price

11-11-2013, 05:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm going to take a different approach here. You say you are getting bad results with your point and shoot -- which one? And what specifically about the pics is bad?

For landscapes and snapshots, there are numerous P&S models that are more than sufficient, and certainly a lot easier to pack along on hikes. While they don't have the flexibility and post-processing options that the DSLR world has, they also don't have the learning curve. If you are going to set the camera on the AutoPict setting and leave it there, I'm not sure for $1100 you are going to see that much better pictures than with a higher quality P&S.

Unfortunately, it's true that P&S cameras tend to be slow and not have the moxy for any kind of wildlife photography.
11-11-2013, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ausmoose Quote
Hi,

I am tired of the bad quality I get from my point and shoot, and love the results of DSLRs, so decided I want to buy one.
The hidden price with this step is an extra commitment: carrying the bigger camera plus another lens and maybe a flash, taking extra time to get shots, learning, processing the shots to get the most out of them, etc. The results are there but some work is required.

QuoteQuote:
Another option I was thinking of is the Canon EOS 700D - there is now an offer to get it with the 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS, 50mm f/1.8 Lenses, extra battery, Lowepro Orion Daypack and Tripod. I think I'd probably prefer the K-30 and 18-135mm WR lens to this, though, which I can get for the same price of $1099. Not sure. Any thoughts?
Canon has an enormous retail and market presence, which can be handy. Accessories will be cheaper. I like the set of lenses you get with that package. Don't cheap out and get the 75-300. The camera is good but has some disadvantages to the Pentax. The sensor is not as good, especially at higher ISOs - low-light sensitivity. (Look at side-to-side comparisons at ISO 1600 or higher at camera testing sites.) The camera only has one control wheel, not two like Pentax. The optical viewfinder is not as good as Pentax. The Pentax has image stabilization on all lenses, while the Canon system has some stabilized lenses and some not. The Pentax offers weather resistance and an internal AA battery adapter.

QuoteQuote:
At the moment I'm thinking the 18-135mm WR. I'd really like a WR lens so that I can go out in the rain!
See, you totally need the Pentax!

The commitment hurdle is often downplayed - most of us are twice as committed as the ordinary photographer. If I decide to take one good photo every day, I will easily take 1000 shots a month just to get those shots right, 950 of them not the best. My siblings are as good as me but not that committed, and they mostly feel guilty about having good cameras and not using them.
11-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you are ready to invest in a DSLR system, then I dare you to invest in a manual flash first (Yongnuo YN-560 III goes for U$70, thatīs a gift!) and see what happens... You can even trigger it wirelessly with the built in flash on your point and shoot camera.
If you still need/want more, the flash will be great for a DSLR...
11-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If that's your budget, I suggesting going with this Pentax K-50 kit (same as the K-30 but a bit newer) at then using the $200 gift certificate that's included in this bonus bundle toward the purchase of a 18-135mm. That will keep you well under $1000, plus you'll get lots of free goodies like the bag, memory card, and extended warranty! Sell the 18-55mm for $100 and you'll probably keep it under $900.

Pentax K-50 Digial SLR Camera w/Pentax DA L 18-55mm WR Lens, Black - Bundle "B" 10894 B
As much as I'd love to do that, I live in Australia and the shipping to here is beastly expensive, not to mention extra fees for going from the US to here and what not. Thanks for the feedback though.

11-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
I'm going to take a different approach here. You say you are getting bad results with your point and shoot -- which one? And what specifically about the pics is bad?

For landscapes and snapshots, there are numerous P&S models that are more than sufficient, and certainly a lot easier to pack along on hikes. While they don't have the flexibility and post-processing options that the DSLR world has, they also don't have the learning curve. If you are going to set the camera on the AutoPict setting and leave it there, I'm not sure for $1100 you are going to see that much better pictures than with a higher quality P&S.

Unfortunately, it's true that P&S cameras tend to be slow and not have the moxy for any kind of wildlife photography.
My camera's a Kodak Waterproof one. It doesn't have ISO settings, of course, so has a lot of noise, even in fairly good lighting.

I'm not planning on setting my camera to AutoPict. I really want to play around with the settings to be able to get the exact shot. That's what I'm talking about as part of the better quality - a camera that will be flexible to my own needs in a shot.

When I said wildlife, I won't focus on it, so if I don't have a sufficient lens that's OK. When I get a larger budget, then I can invest in that sort of lens, but for now something good for landscapes and other shots here and there is good.
11-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Just a couple of things here for the OP to consider, in this era of new technology etc, 10 years is a long time to wait for a new camera..

When you consider today you do not generally print other than display photos, with the rest being only saved on a computer, you save $0.25 for every shot you take over film. Take this into account. Consider upgrading when you have paid off the camera with savings.

As for the total investment, the monetary value expressed is not enough to cover all things. Fr wild life you really need a minimum of 300mm and it should be really F4 or faster to allow you to do a lot of what you want, this leaves you quite limited.

Since you want fast lenses for wild life, a wide range zoom Is generally not the best either in terms of quality or speed.

The for landscapes you need to consider 1-2 primes, but start by playing with a zoom until you discover what focal length rage you like.

All this being said, something like the 18-135 is not too bad as a start, but plan on adding a long lens for wild life.

The other option if you want long on a budget is to get a Pentax Q with the K adaptor, and pick up an old 135mm lens. This gives you something equal to a 750mm lens, at a budget price
OK, what about 5 years?

I'll be focusing on landscapes, so am not going to think too much about wildlife until I have the budget for that sort of lens.

Any accessories I should be considering?
11-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #11
Pentaxian

My upgrade plan is for every five years, working fine so far.

A tripod can be handy, but is another shopping issue. The flimsy $30 ones are obviously a mistake, but then you could spend from $60 to $600. For ordinary lenses, I like my $90 one.
11-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

My camera's a Kodak Waterproof one. It doesn't have ISO settings, of course, so has a lot of noise, even in fairly good lighting.

I'm not planning on setting my camera to AutoPict. I really want to play around with the settings to be able to get the exact shot. That's what I'm talking about as part of the better quality - a camera that will be flexible to my own needs in a shot.
I have one those. It does stink... but I don't mind taking it out in a boat.

If you want to learn, welcome to the DSLR world. I just wanted to be sure you knew you had some other options before plunking down a big chunk of money.
11-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #13
Pentaxian

OK, what about 5 years?

I'll be focusing on landscapes, so am not going to think too much about wildlife until I have the budget for that sort of lens.

Any accessories I should be considering?
For landscapes get a tripod, and a bubble level
11-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #14
Site Supporter

More Stuff!

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
For landscapes get a tripod, and a bubble level
And a good circular polarizer, plus a cable shutter release.
Ron
11-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #15
Yos
Veteran Member

So many advice here
I say try to find a nice deal on the K-30 or K-50 w/ the 18-135mm WR lens
To me those cameras with that lens is the best "first DSLR combination" out there atm.
Once you have gotten used to having a DSLR there will be plenty of time to search for more lenses that suits your particular shooting style,
And as many members already pointed out, there is lots of other camera accessories that you "need"
Do you guys have any "Black Friday Deals" in Australia? If so I think you better do some research

Just my 2 cents

Cheers from cold cold Sweden