Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #1

Low-end consumer lenses on a K3?

I've been wondering if the older kit zooms (bundled with the Kx) have enough resolving power to allow one to differentiate between a 16MP and 24MP body. At some point the sensor will outperform the lenses; but when will this happen? thx..

11-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Low-end consumer lenses on a K3?

I can't comment on a K-3 but I seem to bump into the limits of my K-30's sensor well before whatever limit my lenses have. My lenses are FF M42s and Pentax F/FA types.

Last edited by 6BQ5; 11-12-2013 at 10:03 AM.
11-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #3

To take advantage of the improved IQ, better lenses are required and worth the investment. The improvements in the K3, especially AF and WB, speed of processing need to be factored in to the decision. Eventually, improving your lenses will be a great investment.
11-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can add that the Tamron 70-300 worked well enough on my K-10 but showed all kinds of purple fringing on the K-5. It was sharp below 200mm, though, that was never a problem.

11-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richardm Quote
I've been wondering if the older kit zooms (bundled with the Kx) have enough resolving power to allow one to differentiate between a 16MP and 24MP body. At some point the sensor will outperform the lenses; but when will this happen? thx..
I have the K-x kit lenses on my new K3 until I can afford some new glass. The improvement in IQ using the same lenses on the K3 is very significant from my 12MP K-x to the 24MP K-3.
11-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by richardm Quote
You will still get more resolution, but you won't be able to take advantage of the K-3's filterless sensor design without something sharper.

I always recommend to upgrade lenses before upgrading bodies. Even the latest full-frame with a cheap consumer lens won't do you any good compared to a K-5 with a limited prime

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have a decent sized collection of older "cheap" glass. I have used them on both my K5 and K10D with good results. The higher resolution of the K5 will likely make a slightly "off" shot look worse but for the most part, I think the K5 shots are a little better, regardless of lens. I don't think a higher resolution sensor will make your shots look worse, but a lens with less resolution won't take full advantage of what is possible with that sensor. I may be wrong but I haven't seen it. That said, since I have a Katz Eye screen on my K10D, I mostly use my older lenses on it. As for kit lenses, I get noticeably better results with my DA 18-55 (original version) with the K5. I still use the K10D often, mostly with my old Takumars. I'm not likely to buy a K3 unless something breaks but if I was buying, I would keep my 18-55 kit lens anyhow. I don't use it often anymore but it's still a very good walk around and smaller and lighter than any of the alternatives with the exception of the new Limited zoom.
11-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The kit will be just as good on the K-3 as it was on the K-x, but the K-3 has some more potential, which will be wasted. If you shoot at jpeg, 5MP, it probably won't matter that much. But the advice to get some nice lenses first is great advice. Lenses tend to hold their value pretty well (better than camera bodies), and Pentax makes some great lenses. And in the mean time, the K-3's price might go down a little, maybe Pentax will release another camera if you wait for a while..
Of course, if you find the K-x is limiting you, an upgrade to the K-3 might make sense. For example, if you really need extra resolution for prints, or if you need faster burst mode with accurate AF.. The K-3 is definitely a better camera and will give you better images, but more importantly, it has some pro functions that the K-x is missing. Its also a bigger camera, if that is a problem. Not as tiny and cute as the K-x, will be harder to hand-hold all day. Lots of things to consider

11-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Goodness,, i would think if one could make the arrangements to acquire the costly k-3 then they could also make the arrangements to get quality lenses. (arrangements = debt)
11-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Debt? Not in my house.
11-12-2013, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Comments about how higher resolution sensors display lens faults pretty much depends on the discrenability of the viewer IMO. For most non critical use, the great majority of viewers will not really be able to tell much difference. The increased performance of the K-3 body will be noticeable by any user, and the improved high ISO performance over every sensor except the 16MP Sonys in the K-5, K-30, K-50, and K500 will definitely help the slower consumer lenses by allowing higher shutter speeds. Personally, I find myself calling on consumer grade lenses much more often since getting a K-5 when size, carry weight and the convenience of not needing to change lenses might be as, or more important than ultimate IQ potential.

It's easy to get caught up in the whole ultimate IQ thing. For me, the ultimate usability of the camera in a lot of different situations trumps everything, and preserving memories by taking snapshots at family get togethers is a very significant use for my cameras. Premium lenses are nice to have, and they pay off for critical use situations, but are not necessary for everyone's photography. I have more lenses than most (29 total, with 17 AF), and the great majority of these are either above consumer grade or pro grade lenses. My last two have been WR kit lenses, the DA 18-55 WR and the DA50-200 WR, and my next will be a DA 55-300 WR, all for my current K-5 and K-5IIs, and whenever I pick up a K-3.

I really can't fault the logic of recommendations that suggest glass over bodies, but there are also good reasons to upgrade a body over buying premium glass. Faster, more accurate AF, faster burst speed, smaller AF sensor areas, a stronger screw drive AF motor, better user interface, WR, and all the features missing from the Kx that the K-3 includes that might be of use, and are plenty of reasons to upgrade the body if you are satisfied with job your present lenses are doing for your photographic purposes IMO.

Scott