Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My advice is always the same. Study the pictures you take and buy the one closest to the focal length you use the most. Second choice is something you can quite reach.

11-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Homo_erectus Quote
Class A, I've seen you recommend the Sigma 28mm a few times in different posts. I assume you have one and I'd love to see some of your shots taken with it that you think really show off it's strengths.
I have a copy and it has provided me with many great shots. I've sent you a PM.

I suggest that you do a flickr search for the Sigma 28 1.8 EX (<- just click on the link). Note that some of the shots you'll find are taken on a full-frame camera so you'll see its wide angle FOV, rather than the "normal" FOV it has on APS-C.

There are of course unimpressive images on flickr from about just every lens, but after you've seen what this lens can do, I'm sure you'll agree with me that it is one of the most underrated lenses at pentaxforums. Those who know it, give it great reviews but the vast majority does not seem to be aware of it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Homo_erectus Quote
I keep finding myself looking at the 24mm sigma but I also keep getting put off of it by the photos I find on the net that were taken with it. On the other hand, I rented the 28mm sigma a while ago and a few of my test shots with it are quite nice.
I have never used the Sigma 24mm but from my reading it is not in the same league as the 28mm.

Last edited by Class A; 03-26-2014 at 03:12 PM.
11-29-2013, 07:23 AM   #33

How does the Tamron 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 go as a beginners lenses? I have been looking at that lenses.
11-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord_Adam Quote
How does the Tamron 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 go as a beginners lenses? I have been looking at that lenses.
It's supposed to be a pretty good lens. Wide angle lenses can get away with being slower than other lenses, so you don't generally need a constant f2.8. If you use filters, make sure the lens can take them and you can afford them - some of those large size filters cost more than I like to spend on the whole lens.

The challenge is composing a wide angle shot. In my film days, lenses that wide were rare, and I just don't "see" that way. I personally have trouble getting a good shot wider than 16mm on APS-C. I have seen a lot of bad shots at 10mm. The lens has to work pretty hard to cram all that stuff into the frame. I might look at some sample shots at 10 to 15mm if I was in doubt about shooting with an ultra-wide. At least with a zoom, you can always choose 12mm or whatever.

11-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Maybe I missed it in the posts, but which kit lenses do you own now? Just a 18-55? Really the answer to the question depends on what you have and what you photograph; for example, I'd put a 50mm pretty far down the list for the kind of photography I do (mostly outdoor, landscape.)
11-29-2013, 10:30 PM   #36
Veteran Member

@tibbits, to who are you answering? Lord-Adam or OP? Oh, the pleasures of thread hijacking
11-30-2013, 02:29 AM   #37

50/1.4 - cause everyone should experience creaminess and bokeh balls!
11-30-2013, 05:12 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Get a macro. Preferably one outside your existing zoom range, so the Tamron 90 or the Pentax 100 WR. The 100 would be cool because it would be macro, long portrait, and midrange tele lens all in one.

Or be like He_Ying, who really wanted a fisheye lens, and really enjoys using the Pentax 10-17. It's great fun, and at 15-17 with some processing it makes a good ultra wide lens.

11-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #39
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A couple of ideas....

Try getting a "bad" lens. Any! Why? It will force you to learn it's strength and weaknesses and it will push you try to things you wouldn't normally. This takes you away from the point, focus, and shoot perspective. It may also push you toward new post processing techniques so you can squeeze out more detail from your shots. You will then realize that there is no such thing as a "bad" lens.

Get a used FF lens. The soft corners are cropped out by the APS sized sensor. You will also have something to play with should Pentax release a FF camera.

Get a decent manual focus lens with no automatic aperture controls - even a M42 lens. This is somewhat along the lines of the "bad" lens above but go for the higher quality optics. It's another exercise in photographic skill development.