Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #1

Does any Camera Remote work?

There are camera remotes on ebay and amazon that are designated for just canon or nikon

But I found a remote that just says you can use it for any dslr.

Does it really matter if it's specified for canon or nikon? I mean, the beams that the dslr body shouldn't be different right? Or.. is there more to it ?

Please explain; I'm trying to find a cheap camera remote on ebay or amazon for my k-30.

11-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
If you are referring to IR remotes, it matters. It isn't JUST a beam of invisible light; the IR beam has data embedded in the signal. And that data is specific to Pentax.

That's the bad news. The good news is any IR remote for a Pentax camera will trigger the shutter for any Pentax camera that has an IR receiver. I've paid as little as US$1.65 for Pentax IR remotes, including shipping - on the other hand, at that price, delivery is often close to a month.

Now if you are talking about a wired remote (a K-30 can use either type), most (not all) Canon and Pentax cameras that have a wired remote socket can use the same remote.
11-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use a set of el cheapo poverty wizards aka Chinese made pt-04 flash triggers. I plug the receiver into the pc port and use the test button on the transmitter to trigger. Not what they were intended for, but I get reliable service out to 40 meters line of sight. And the double duty set up cost $14 U.S. I love cheap!!
Joel
11-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had issues with those cheap eBay $1-2 remotes, I just went ahead and purchased a used Pentax Remote Control F for some $12/shipped and no worries or problems.

11-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I just bought one for 7$ by goja
11-13-2013, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Something everyone should understand about IR remotes - and this is true across every brand of camera - the sun is a HUGE emitter of IR light. Using an IR remote when the receiver is in full sunlight is a lot like trying to see a penlight when someone is shining a floodlight in your face. The sun's IR output is white noise while the IR remote sends a coded signal, that's why sunlight won't release your shutter, but unless your camera can see the coded signal through the white noise, your IR remote isn't going to work either.

And I suspect where people use their IR remotes has a lot to do with their satisfaction. Just remember that the more sunlight, the shorter the range and you will be happy.
11-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I use a Vivitar that was made for Pentax (as was printed on the box) and it works just fine. I did, however, had to shave the plastic around the plug so that it would inside the socket of the 645D.
11-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
Forum Member

I bought a wired remote for my Canon 1000D and it works fine on the K200D and the K-x. Actually I may have lied about the last bit.