Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Newbie Questions

I just made the jump to dslr 2 weeks ago with the purchase of a K-50 w/18-135. Since I've shot only slide film for the last 36 years and mostly using my PZ-1 for the last 22 years this has really been a challenge for a 71 year old. I Have some questions and yes I have read the manual 4 times.
I'm having a hard time just figuring out what exposure mode to use. I used AV mode in my Pentax ME and have primarly used Hyper Program in my PZ-1. My questions are:

Why choose AV or TV over P when you can adjust both(Hyper Mode) depending your need to comtrol DOF or subject motion?

Other than in Manual mode is the only over/under exposure indicator the need for flash?

What is the TAV mode all about. I've played with it and sometime it will expose correctly but far more often than not it will over expose 4 or 5 stops and I see no indicator in the viewfinder of the exposure error.

By the way I only use the viewfinder.
Last question for now, How long can I expect a fully charged uninstalled battery to hold a useful charge?

Thanks for any quidance you can give me.

11-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LOU16 Quote
Why choose AV or TV over P when you can adjust both(Hyper Mode) depending your need to comtrol DOF or subject motion?
There isn't much of a reason unless you want to be locked into either mode such that the other e-dial is disabled or serves another function.

TAv just means auto ISO with manual shutter speed and aperture. If the ISO can't go low enough based on your selected settings, you might end up overexposing. If this is the case, the numbers will flash in the viewfinder.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

TAV is useful when I'm doing action shots, because either too small an aperture or too slow a shutter speed can ruing my pictures. But most of the rest of the time I just use AV, keep an eye on the shutter speed, and adjust the ISO manually as needed.
11-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I figured out my problem with the TAV mode. I had assumed it would only meter when I pressed the shutter relesed half way but that just locked the displayed settings which were initially flashing. I'm learning!!

11-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I catch myself using Av when it makes no sense at all, trying to make it work with exposure compensation. The modes are designed to adjust the camera to you, so no mode is perfect for everyone. Except don't use green mode.
11-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Except don't use green mode.
Sorry, in a word - bull. The green mode is no different than any other mode in that you need to know its strengths and weaknesses. While I use other modes much more than the green mode, I do use it without disappointment - well okay, with no more frequent disappointment with my photos than when I use other modes.

But I agree with the sentiment. If you are going to always let the camera do the driving, you are probably the type that should have saved money and purchased one of the super-zoom hybrid cameras.
11-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LOU16 Quote
I would suppose that using AV or TV allows the aperture/shutter to be fixed all of the time. However in Hyper mode the aperture/shutter may change depending on how the camera reads the scene. I think it just may be quicker to use Av or Tv and ensure that you're getting the DOF or shutter you want all of the time as opposed to having to turn a dial when things aren't automatically chosen for you.
11-13-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My experience with my new k50 is if you are using the hyper mode the select AV or TV is locked and the ISO and the other one changes with light conditions.