Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2013, 11:48 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Lint on your sensor? Maybe it's your camera bag.

The other day i was taking some lovely sunset photos with my bran new k-30. while i was reviewing the shots, i noticed a squiggly line in each photo. THE HORROR! "my bran new camera is defective!!!" NOPE.. turns out it was just lint. WHEW , a sigh of relief, a simple sensor dust removal function and all is well.
But that got me thinking HOW in the world did lint get into a weather sealed camera??
I've never had lint on a sensor before, dust yes but never lint.
And I always keep a lens on my camera.
Then it occurred to me, along with the new camera i also acquired a new camera bag.
My previous camera bags had always been Nylon lined, but this one was Felt lined!
Under closer inspection i found Little felt lint hairs everywhere on everything including, front and back of my lenses!

So just a warning if you are looking at that awesome camera bag from china on ebay,,, make sure the liner isn't felt

Last edited by OldNoob; 11-13-2013 at 12:17 AM.
11-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
The other day i was taking some lovely sunset photos with my bran new k-30. while i was reviewing the shots, i noticed a squiggly line in each photo. THE HORROR! "my bran new camera is defective!!!" NOPE.. turns out it was just lint. WHEW , a sigh of relief, a simple sensor dust removal function and all is well.
But that got me thinking HOW in the world did lint get into a weather sealed camera??
I've never had lint on a sensor before, dust yes but never lint.
And I always keep a lens on my camera.
Then it accured to me, along with the new camera i also acquired a new camera bag.
My previous camera bags had always been Nylon lined, but this one was Felt lined!
Under closer inspection i found Little felt lint hairs everywhere on everything including, front and back of my lenses!

So just a warning if you are looking at that awesome camera bag on ebay,,, make sure the liner isn't felt
Actually it should not be much of a problem, except if you put your lens in it without the back cap on, or if you store the back cap in it. I usually make sure that I blow out the back cap before putting it on a lens I store, because that is where the transfer occurs, and when I remove the cap from a lens I want to put on the camera, I make sure that I blow any dust/lint that might have transferred from the cap to the lens, from the back of the lens...
11-13-2013, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It is good to vacuum inside camera bags periodically.
11-13-2013, 01:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
I make sure that I blow any dust/lint that might have transferred from the cap to the lens, from the back of the lens...
Hi
If it is a zoom lens never ever do this. You will not be able to stop dust/fluff/lint from being blown through the gaps deep into the zoom barrels. With every pumping zoom activity it gets deeper and deeper into the lens. Bad move. Remove the crap some other way, brush or cloth. With prime lenses it is not as critical.

Greetings

11-13-2013, 02:26 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Bad move
Depending on how you do it.... I didn't say "into" the lens...
from the back of the lens
EDIT: I've been doing it for years now, with all my lenses (18), zoom and primes, without any problems
11-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Depending on how you do it.... I didn't say "into" the lens...
To dislodge dust you must be blowing against the lens must you not ? you can't be blowing away from it and you are trying to tell me you have absolute control over the air turbulence the blowing creates ?

I've been doing it for years now, with all my lenses (18), zoom and primes, without any problems
You can't prove it to me though.
Best regards
11-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter

You can't prove it to me though.
No, I'm just telling lies to upset you....I don't have to prove anything to you or anyone else, but be happy with your way. I'm luckily just a stupid country boy, who never had a problem doing it my way, I'm sorry if you find it so upsetting... I'm surely the only sod doing something silly like that and getting away without any negative results
11-13-2013, 11:29 PM   #8
Site Supporter

No, I'm just telling lies to upset you....I don't have to prove anything to you or anyone else, but be happy with your way. I'm luckily just a stupid country boy, who never had a problem doing it my way, I'm sorry if you find it so upsetting... I'm surely the only sod doing something silly like that and getting away without any negative results

This is what I call an all guns blazing eloquently written retort.

Greetings

11-13-2013, 11:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm sure gentle puff with a lens duster is just fine,, but the point is one should not have to do this every time he swaps a lens.
11-14-2013, 01:15 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
I'm sure gentle puff with a lens duster is just fine,, but the point is one should not have to do this every time he swaps a lens.
You've got it
11-14-2013, 01:18 AM   #11
Site Supporter

This is what I call an all guns blazing eloquently written retort.

Greetings
We are Pentaxians aren't we, we always keep it civil