Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #1

Odd question about K30

I just recieved mine today and during the unveiling to my husband I was describing the weight of the camera and how nice it felt in my hand. As I was demonstrating it I noticed a noise in the camera like a shifting of the inards or a slight rattle. Kind of hard to describe...is this standard for Pentax?

11-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #2

Original Poster
Also looking for a suggestion on a lens cover to protect the 18-135...thanks for your time.
11-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chapchalk Quote
I just recieved mine today and during the unveiling to my husband I was describing the weight of the camera and how nice it felt in my hand. As I was demonstrating it I noticed a noise in the camera like a shifting of the inards or a slight rattle. Kind of hard to describe...is this standard for Pentax?
Yes, because of the shake reduction inside the camera. Every new Pentax makes that noise when turned off.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, because of the shake reduction inside the camera. Every new Pentax makes that noise when turned off.
Thanks, Adam - it kind of freaked me out. I am trying to read through the manual to learn what I can.

11-15-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also looking for a suggestion on a lens cover to protect the 18-135...thanks for your time.
The shake reduction noise is the most common surprise for new Pentax owners.

The 18-135 is a Weather Resistant lens, are you just looking for a pouch for when it is not on the camera?
11-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #6

Original Poster
No, I am actually looking for a filter that will protect the exposed lens from scratches.
11-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've stopped using filters for protection. Reason for me was that during a night shoot, the UV filter I used caused reflections. Only time I might use one is in a blistering sand storm.

Opinions about protection are divided. Use the lens cap when not shooting, use a filter only when strictly necessary.

11-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don´t use protective filters neither. Lens hood gives good enough protection, and only reason to add extra piece of glass that only weakens IQ is what sterrje said above. And even bigger scratches on the lens are practically invisible in real-life.
11-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+3 - use the hood religiously for protection, protection filters will only affect the lens performance.
11-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It should also be said, since you were specific about the lens -- the DA 18-135 is a new model -- that recently introduced lenses, like this one incorporates SP coating on the front element. This coating repels water, oil and fingerprints, and is considerably more easy to clean and more durable than the fragile exterior coatings of past.

I'm also one that does not use protective filters, except in pretty extreme conditions. . . If you decide to go with a protective filter, I'd suggest a high quality multi coated one from a major mfg to reduce the possibility of IQ degradation and flare, but they can get expensive.

Scott
11-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't used filters other than polarizers for years. My 1976 M lenses show no damage from not wearing filters. Come to think of it, neither does my 24-90 which has seen some "interesting" weather around Lake Michigan for four years on my MZ-S. If I can survive it, I figure the lens can. That said, I am rather careful around sandy salt water beaches, and always use the lens hood.
11-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks everyone...I am still trying to get a decent shot. I am struggling to get the white balance correct. Once I think I have it dialed in I take another shot and it is off again. This may be a long learning curve.
11-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am struggling to get the white balance correct
Set it to AWB (auto white balance, not average white boy!) You can always make adjustments in post-processing, but I normally leave it at the camera setting. Coming from a film camera, I can't believe how good auto white balance is on the K-30.
11-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Set it to AWB (auto white balance, not average white boy!) You can always make adjustments in post-processing, but I normally leave it at the camera setting. Coming from a film camera, I can't believe how good auto white balance is on the K-30.
I am not really good at post processing either :-) There are just way more options then the previous canon I had. Hopefully, I will get there.
11-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Using the automatic white balance (AWB) will work on 90% of the cases. You might only have to set it manually if you have really weird light conditions (like at night, under orange mercury lamps, or under incandescent light if you don't have a neutral white/grey in the scene).