Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Magnifying eyepiece question

I don't like to keep my glasses on when I shoot. The K-30/50/500 diopter doesn't quite get me into focus, but it's close.

Does Pentax make replacement diopters with more range, or alternatively, would a magnifying eyepiece help me?

Thanks.

11-15-2013, 06:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There are Pentax diopter corrective eyepieces that work. I am near sighted (can't see far) and I keep around -4 and -5 diopters in my kit.

These diopter corrective eyepieces are made by Pentax and they disappeared from USA shores years ago. I had to hunt them down, and got them from Pentax Japan and eBay.

Do a search on ebay for "Pentax SMC Correction Lens Adapter"

Since the -5 is very hard to come by, I just saw that three were available, so I ordered another.

Also, if you are far sighted, you want a "+ " adapter not a "-" one.
11-15-2013, 06:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Great, thanks. I'll check them out.
11-15-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do these diopters work on the Pentax K-30/50/500? They seem to have a different eyepiece than the older Pentax models.

11-15-2013, 07:03 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
Do these diopters work on the Pentax K-30/50/500? They seem to have a different eyepiece than the older Pentax models.
All Pentax cameras - since the "M" days - use the same eyepiece slots.
So all eyepiece accessories from the "M" days work.

One of the other little awesome secrets of Pentax cameras.

Trivia bit - the eyepiece cover that came with your new camera - is the same one that was first introduced in the 1980's. Unchanged since then.
It may represent the longest included accessory of any camera manufacturer.
11-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The thing I find about correcting with the camera is, I still have to put my glasses back on for some of the menus. I just leave them on.
11-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The thing I find about correcting with the camera is, I still have to put my glasses back on for some of the menus. I just leave them on.
Yep. I'm getting old too.
Wait - not that you're old.
ugh.

11-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Wait - not that you're old.
ugh.
You're safe, you live in Florida, but I'm warning you, I have a walking stick, and I know how to use it.
11-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #9

It used to be you could by a eyepiece frame (at least with Minolta) that you could mount your own correction lens in. You could take the lens from an old pair of eyeglasses and have an optician cut it down and mount it in the frame. I don't know if they still make these frames or if you can even find them. I suppose you could modify an eyepiece cover and glue an old eyeglass lens on it.
11-15-2013, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I use a lens from an old pair of glasses - a +~2 lens which gets me into the adjustment range.

Also wow the noise of a phone camera...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GT-I9000  Photo 
11-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I use a lens from an old pair of glasses - a +~2 lens which gets me into the adjustment range.

Also wow the noise of a phone camera...
That is brilliant!!!
11-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

That is brilliant!!!
Thanks

I hope I can do the same with the O-ME53 I'm getting.
11-15-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Mid 40s, and I have the same problem as normhead. It's REALLY BLOODY ANNOYING to have to put glasses on to chimp, drives me bonkers.
11-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm 73. I have had cataract surgery on both eyes, which means that both eyes have no natural focus adjustment. The surgeon set both eyes at 20/30 - I wanted 20/20 but that's a whole other site to bitch on - this means that my eyes are always focused at 30 feet or so. However, I solved the problem: see below and watch the caveats.

Multifocal contact lenses. I personally have used Bausch & Lomb PureVision multi focals for more than two years now. I use a -0.5 in the left eye and 0.0 in the right, getting around the distance problem, but giving the phone book a pass. I can read the phone book or dictionary with my right eye, and see well at a distance with my left in almost any light. Infinity focus isn't there when the eye's iris is wide open. This is the bitch about 20/30 versus 20/20. At dusk it's hard to tell birds apart. ADD HIGH gives me +2 for close up work. For example I am typing away 18 inches from my laptop screen, 1400x1050 resolution and can read every bit of text of the screen. These lenses use the rings of focus system. They are not read at the bottom, distance at the top. In the right light, looking hard, you can see the concentric rings.

Caveats:
- Your eyes must not have too much astigmatism to wear these very comfortable (I don't even know they are there, except that I see well at any distance) lenses. Astigmatism means the lenses must be maintained in a precise vertical position, and that means gas permeable hard lenses which are a whole other ball game. My worst astigmatism is in my right eye, and is a bit less than one diopter. The right eye is not as clear as the left, but I have no trouble driving or seeing.

- Your tears must be within a certain range: not so much that the lenses protein up quickly, nor so dry that they cause discomfort. Any discomfort is a reason to remove the lenses. If the cornea is abraded ...

- There is a learning curve. Your brain has to learn which of the three overlapping images to use.

- They don't work as well if you have a high correction just to see. My eyes were about 20/450 before I had surgery, and getting used to multi contacts took 25 minutes for my brain to get the idea. After that they were good, but not great. With 20/30 base, they are great.
11-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Rubbish, your just a young thing compared to some of us.