Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The problem I have is that after eye surgery and having had an artificial lens fitted, I'm short-sighted in one eye and long in the other. The brain handles it just fine for normal use but I can't just set and forget the dioptre adjustment as I switch from eye to eye. I'm naturally left eye dominant but, at times, I have to use the right eye (when using the left eye, the right side of the face covers the control buttons )

11-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't really know what you guys are crying about... I'm 18 and already at -4 on both eyes
11-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I don't really know what you guys are crying about... I'm 18 and already at -4 on both eyes
Don't worry, it will get worse.

I was -7 on both until I had laser eye surgery about 18 years ago.
11-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The thing I find about correcting with the camera is, I still have to put my glasses back on for some of the menus. I just leave them on.
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Mid 40s, and I have the same problem as normhead. It's REALLY BLOODY ANNOYING to have to put glasses on to chimp, drives me bonkers.
Ha ha! I'm extremely near-sighted (with horrible astigmatism to boot) and have the opposite problem. I made the mistake of not having the reading bifocal correction put on my current eyeglasses. I didn't really use it on my old lenses. In order to focus on anything nearer than 16 inches I have to take my eyeglasses off and practically shove my nose up to whatever I want to see closeup.

Because of my age and the amount of correction needed LASIK surgery would tend to lead to cataracts. So my eye doctor says to wait until I get cataracts.

11-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Ha ha! I'm extremely near-sighted (with horrible astigmatism to boot) and have the opposite problem. I made the mistake of not having the reading bifocal correction put on my current eyeglasses. I didn't really use it on my old lenses. In order to focus on anything nearer than 16 inches I have to take my eyeglasses off and practically shove my nose up to whatever I want to see closeup.

Because of my age and the amount of correction needed LASIK surgery would tend to lead to cataracts. So my eye doctor says to wait until I get cataracts.
I can empathize with anyone in the -4 to -5 correction range. I was in that range from age 12 to age 70. It was superb for simulating a weak magnifying glass - until my lenses stiffened up I could focus in to 2.5" and read the fine print you are supposed to read on prescriptions. Of course, without my glasses I often found it difficult to see the wall I was walking into . I am lucky in not having a large amount of astigmatism, which makes it possible to wear the softest soft contact lenses. I considered Lasik surgery, but was extremely nervous in having someone do an irreversible operation on my eyes. I know exactly what it is like to be legally blind. All I had to do was take my glasses off.
11-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I can as of now confirm that you can do the same as on Page 1 with the O-ME53. And it's a better fit since the magnifier is surrounded by rubber on all sides.
11-25-2013, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
-7.5 or so in my left eye, -6 in the right. LASIK would've been worth 10x the price.

11-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #23
Veteran Member

You guys are pikers.

Try -10.5 and -11. Way too much to even consider Lasik.

I tried the Pentax enlarging eyepiece but it extends too far out from the internal view finder lens for me to focus. I went back to the stock one but removed the rubber cushion from the eyepiece, which lets me get a bit closer, just enough to see well with my glasses on. I just have to be careful not to scratch my glasses on the metal eyepiece and occasionally take measures to reduce light from the side. My floppy hat gets pressed into service occasionally for that.
11-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
You guys are pikers.

Try -10.5 and -11. Way too much to even consider Lasik.
I have seen the option of doing a lens insertion, similar to the replacement of cataracts. The lens is inserted in front of the actual lens instead of replacing it. The advantage I see is that is is reversible without damage, unlike laser surgery. All the opthalmologist has to do is remove the lens. My cataract replacement was painless and only hassled for a week or two with drops to prevent infection.
11-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I have seen the option of doing a lens insertion...
Thanks for the suggestion. It may be something to keep in mind for the future. For now, I am still at +/- 20/30 corrected so surgery isn't really indicated. If I ever get to where they can't correct it at least to driver's license requirements, I'll be looking for options.
11-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #26

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote

Caveats:
- Your eyes must not have too much astigmatism to wear these very comfortable (I don't even know they are there, except that I see well at any distance) lenses. Astigmatism means the lenses must be maintained in a precise vertical position, and that means gas permeable hard lenses which are a whole other ball game. My worst astigmatism is in my right eye, and is a bit less than one diopter. The right eye is not as clear as the left, but I have no trouble driving or seeing.
Before I developed Sjogren's Syndrome (3 years ago) I wore soft contacts that correct for astigmatism and were bifocals. They worked very well until the Sjogren's dried my eyes out and I can't wear contacts at all now . They were tremendously expensive but I never had any problems with them moving around.
11-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My worst astigmatism is about 1 diopter, so I wear the (relatively) inexpensive ones. Mine are "multi focal" actually tri focal, but overlaid rather that top and bottom.
11-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #28
Veteran Member

While we're at it, could somebody explain in a simple, idiot-proof way what 20:20 or 20:30 means? Is it a different way of saying +3, -2 etc. ?
11-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Diopter Measure
20/20 Measure
20/40
20/80*
20/150*
20/300*
20/400*
20/500*
*Higher diopter values are harder to calculate because it depends on the person – some sources cite a whole range between -4.00 and -6.00 to reflect 20/400 vision. So these figures are an approximation. Note how the 20/20 measure doesn’t increase consistently, and may actually increase exponentially beyond -6.00 (severe myopia).

What is 20/20 Vision? How to Convert Diopters to a 20/20 Measure
11-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Thanks a lot for that.