Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
setting the iso?

am the proud owner of a used k30. have thrown myself into the deep end with this camera with many learning curves ahead of me...so I apologize in advance for my ignorance. question: when using the viewfinder to take pictures with which modes can I access the iso setting? page 85 of the manual shows a diagram of the iso settings that can be accessed using the 4 way controller..but I cannot access these settings/open this diagram. I CAN access it via live view but I want to be able (if I can) to access it via the evf mode. can I actually access this diagram/4 way toggling ability? is this for live view only? what (if anything) am I doing wrong? anticipated thanks

11-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stefan22 Quote
am the proud owner of a used k30. have thrown myself into the deep end with this camera with many learning curves ahead of me...so I apologize in advance for my ignorance. question: when using the viewfinder to take pictures with which modes can I access the iso setting? page 85 of the manual shows a diagram of the iso settings that can be accessed using the 4 way controller..but I cannot access these settings/open this diagram. I CAN access it via live view but I want to be able (if I can) to access it via the evf mode. can I actually access this diagram/4 way toggling ability? is this for live view only? what (if anything) am I doing wrong? anticipated thanks
You need to use the rear LCD on the back to change the ISO. However, I do believe that you can reprogram the e-dials so that one of them controls the ISO in P, TV, or AV mode.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You need to use the rear LCD on the back to change the ISO. However, I do believe that you can reprogram the e-dials so that one of them controls the ISO in P, TV, or AV mode.
I can access the iso via the lcd screen in sv and tav modes..but no others. does that mean that the page 85 settings/diagram IS ONLY accessible via live view? .. and is the iso setting really ONLY accessible in the two modes mentioned? I've a feeling that I am doing something wrong. surely I CAN access iso settings in manual mode?
11-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I can access the iso via the lcd screen in sv and tav modes..but no others. does that mean that the page 85 settings/diagram IS ONLY accessible via live view? .. and is the iso setting really ONLY accessible in the two modes mentioned? I've a feeling that I am doing something wrong. surely I CAN access iso settings in manual mode?
You should be able to access them in all modes. Just make sure you're not in SEL AF as then the 4-way pad is used for that.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #5

Original Poster
not in sel af? how do I determine that?
11-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #6

Original Poster
seems I was in the wrong af active area. I was in the third one down after auto 11 and auto 5. now that I have put it into auto 11 I CAN access the iso settings...
11-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

seems I was in the wrong af active area. I was in the third one down after auto 11 and auto 5. now that I have put it into auto 11 I CAN access the iso settings...
Right, you were in select mode, where the 4-way pad controls the points you use. Glad you got it working now!

Adam

11-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't have a K30 to check it, but page 103 of the (English) pdf manual describes how to change the function of the four-way controller.

If you keep the OK button pressed for a short while, the function of the four-way controller will change. That should allow you to directly access the ISO as described on the page that you refer to regardless of the selected AF area setting; no need to use 5-point or 11-point.

Please check it and let me know; as said, I don't have a K30.

Please be aware that if you let the camera choose the point to focus on, it might focus on something that you don't want it to focus on.
11-16-2013, 12:35 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I don't have a K30 to check it, but page 103 of the (English) pdf manual describes how to change the function of the four-way controller.

If you keep the OK button pressed for a short while, the function of the four-way controller will change. That should allow you to directly access the ISO as described on the page that you refer to regardless of the selected AF area setting; no need to use 5-point or 11-point.

Please check it and let me know; as said, I don't have a K30.

Please be aware that if you let the camera choose the point to focus on, it might focus on something that you don't want it to focus on.
you're right (sterretje). I an now not tied to 5/11 point..I have a focus point I choose AND I can adjust the iso setting. thank you for your input