Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My immediate thought was: get a second.

Second everything. You have a second body, but I would recommend three! Another flash. Remote/slave flash activators.. Tripod. Backups for your two favourite lenses. And so on.

And as jatrax suggested, you need at least one bossyboots, who has a copy of the desired shot list. I don't agree with the suggestion that you try to blend in and be respectful, you are not there to take delightful candids, you are there to take the shots they expect, and it may seriously affect your friendship if you fail. You need someone to help you line folk up, prevent iphoners stepping in and stealing your best moments, to stop kids and errant aunties wandering off to the loo, and so on.

I have done a couple of weddings and they are nightmares. At my first, which I did as a present, a local professional had a bruiser who stood two metres in front of me most of the time to direct the guests and ruin my shots. In the end my only resource was to help pay for the shots the couple ended up buying from the professional...

11-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A lot of good advice given here!

I want to second one item - get a list of *required* photos and who should be in them. Make sure the two mothers have given their blessing to the list!! And, if the couple has a wedding planner work with her/him to get the folks organized and the photos taken.

I worked ONE wedding as a stand-in for a buddy who double committed - I got the mother-in-law from hell and for 30+ years have not done another!!
11-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I know you said the wedding was next year -- not sure if that means 6 weeks or 13 months from now -- but use your time wisely. Earlier I suggested staking out the venue so you know what gear to use. That is straightforward.

With your additional time, try to spend time to learn the wedding photography routine. Ideally, it would be really good if you could somehow get in good with a professional photographer, and volunteer to assist with a few events.