Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
AF160fc Ring Flash issues

My camera is a K-5 IIs. I have had a new AF160fc Pentax ring flash sitting here for 3 yrs. without use. I installed the proper batteries, the ready light came on in about 7 sec. as advertised. I set "A" on the aperature ring and "A" on the ring flash control head.
Took my first pic with no issues. Waited for 7 sec. to recharge and no ready light or recharge. Changed batteries. Took a successful flash pic again. Ready light and recharge again not occurring, i.e. no buzz. So, if I want the ready light to come on,
I must turn the flash switch off after each pic. Is there some camera setting I'm missing? Or???? This is my third Pentax ring flash and they all seem to be crapola. Any answers would be appreciated.

11-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What mode were you using on the camera? Av,M,Tv? What shutter speed was selected. The AF-160FC will probably not file when the speed in faster that 1/180 sec.
11-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
As a macro photographer I always use Av mode. Took a few blue mushroom pics and the darn thing decided it liked working with the IIs after all and now works fine. Machines%^&*()_
Thanks. Years ago I used a ring flash with my older Pentax, but when I got a K-10 and went to a 50mm macro and put my DFA100 in the drawer, I stopped using using ring flash. For some reason I thought I'd try it out
again. It works well with the 50mm macro, so when not in the jungle will start using it again after I buy some stock in lithium batteries.
11-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you don't happen to have updated the firmware on your camera recently? I had an issue like this after a firmware update on my Pentax K7, AF160FC would only fire once after the camera had been switched on. I have had my AF160FC for years and it has never let me down, I have used it quite a bit on my K5IIs without issue, but then again I never use the A setting on mine - I always work manually.