Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #1

Best Cheap/Off-Brand Wired Remote

I am looking for recommendations for the best cheap wired remote for my K10D. $40+ for the Pentax one is kind of silly. There seem to be a number of them on Amazon and eBay that are around the $10 mark.

11-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
There isn't really anything complicated to them, so it can be hard to get a bad one.

I have one that has a built in timer and intervalometer, it works great, though the lack of an off switch on my particular one is annoying.
Amazon.com: NEEWER
11-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you can't find a cheap no-brand unit for Pentax in your search, switch to Canon Rebel. Both use the electrically identical 2.5mm stereo plug.
11-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
or you can go even less fancy:
Shutter Release Cord for Pentax K10D K110D K20D C1 | eBay

11-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #5

Original Poster
Actually, it was more that there seem to be a lot of them, wondering if any was better than the others...
11-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Basic wired remotes are nothing more than two switches to duplicate the half-press and full-press of your camera's shutter button. About the only difference is the quality of the switches, and perhaps a full-press lock for use with bulb mode. I doubt there is a whole lot of difference in quality between units with a difference of only +/- a few dollars, euros, whatever.

The question is how much you will be using this remote release. Unless your camera lives on a tripod, I doubt you will see much difference between units at the low end.
11-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Archimedes the Dog Quote
Actually, it was more that there seem to be a lot of them, wondering if any was better than the others...
I have three. An electronic one with intervalometer, a Pentax CS-205 and a vivitar RC-100-60D. They all work the same, as noted above they are pretty simple, just a make / break switch and a locking button. Except for the intervalometer functions, of course.

The Vivitar seems to have a bit longer and heavier cord than the others. The Pentax has a fairly short cord, which is not bad when hanging on the tripod as it does not hang as far down as the others. The Vivitar was by far the cheapest, and seemingly the best made. The Pentax by far the most expensive, though I got mine in a bag of gear I bought so paid nothing for it.
11-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Every "Dotline" thing I've ever gotten, even the most simple, has managed to be broken or suck in some way, so there is a cheapo brand to avoid...

11-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I'm going to bend this thread a little bit .... if you already have an Android or iOS phone or tablet, take a look at Triggertrap mobile. It has an incredible range of ways to remotely trip your camera's shutter.
11-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I bought this one but haven't tried it yet. Shutter Release Cord for Pentax K110D K100D K200D K20D K30 K50 K 01 K 5 K 7 645D | eBay
11-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I keep a cheap one taped to my tripod. Plug it in and it works.

The wireless ones require futzing in menus . . .
11-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
Site Supporter

This is the model I bought for use with my K10D. It works great. I got mine from Adorama about 8 weeks ago.

Bower LCD Timer and Remote Shutter Release (Model RCLC1R) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Steve
11-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #13
Forum Member

Make your own. That is what I did. It is very much not hard at all. There are some good instructions floating around here if you search enough for them. It's fun too. I went to Radio shack bought the following. 2.5mm jack, two momentary push buttons (one red,fires the shutter; one black, autofocus), a small toggle switch (bulb mode), and a 1"x 2" project box to house the buttons and switch. I used old telephone cable from the jack to the box. I even put rubber o-rings under my buttons and switch so now my release is "WR"! It's fantastic. I even suck at soadering (see, I can't even spell it). Trust me, it's a fun project and you will feel good after you create something useful with your own skill and cunning.
11-18-2013, 12:57 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MBike74 Quote
Make your own. That is what I did. It is very much not hard at all. There are some good instructions floating around here if you search enough for them. It's fun too. I went to Radio shack bought the following. 2.5mm jack, two momentary push buttons (one red,fires the shutter; one black, autofocus), a small toggle switch (bulb mode), and a 1"x 2" project box to house the buttons and switch. I used old telephone cable from the jack to the box. I even put rubber o-rings under my buttons and switch so now my release is "WR"! It's fantastic. I even suck at soadering (see, I can't even spell it). Trust me, it's a fun project and you will feel good after you create something useful with your own skill and cunning.
That actually sounds interesting. Last time I tried to solder anything I destroyed the gun, but...
11-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Archimedes the Dog Quote
Last time I tried to solder anything I destroyed the gun, but...
Cool! I burned myself and started a fire under my desk.

Steve