Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #1

Lens repair.

Hi,

I have a few lenses that needs to be repaired.

Sigma DC 17-70mm - water got to it, can see fungus first element looks bad.
Sigma macro 50mm f2.8 - aperture seems to be ok, focus ring very very tight.
smc Pentax 77mm limited - same as above, aperture fine, but focus is stuck.

I live in the West Midlands.
Can you guys recommend a place to send it in for repair?
Ruff idea on the cost?

Many thanks!

11-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Not sure this applies to your location,, but here is a link to KEH repair services, there is a PDF document with the prices.
Repair Center - Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com
11-19-2013, 12:30 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick reply!

Unfortunately it doesn't apply.
I live in the UK, I forgot to mention.

Cheers,
11-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
check out:

the lens doctor

11-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the link, will give them a ring tomorrow!
11-27-2013, 03:06 AM - 1 Like   #6

Press the lens locking button, rotate the lens and remove the lens from your single lens reflex camera. If you are using a digital SLR, place a body cap on the camera to prevent dust from entering it.

Inspect the lens thoroughly by looking through the lens from both the front and rear of the lens. You are looking for any foreign debris inside the lens or any indication that part of the lens has become loose and is impeding its operation.

Clean the electrical contacts on the rear of the lens. Any auto-focus lens relies on electrical signals from the camera to work properly. It may affect the lens performance if these contacts are dirty. Clean the contacts using a cotton swab moistened with rubbing alcohol. Dry the contacts using a microfiber lens cloth.

Inspect the lens barrel and the small gaps between the outer lens barrel and the barrel containing the lens elements. Small debris can become lodged in here and may affect lens performance. Remove the debris using a small needle. Do not use compressed air as this may cause the sand or debris to become further lodged inside the lens.
12-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by avaross09 Quote
Press the lens locking button, rotate the lens and remove the lens from your single lens reflex camera. If you are using a digital SLR, place a body cap on the camera to prevent dust from entering it.

Inspect the lens thoroughly by looking through the lens from both the front and rear of the lens. You are looking for any foreign debris inside the lens or any indication that part of the lens has become loose and is impeding its operation.

Clean the electrical contacts on the rear of the lens. Any auto-focus lens relies on electrical signals from the camera to work properly. It may affect the lens performance if these contacts are dirty. Clean the contacts using a cotton swab moistened with rubbing alcohol. Dry the contacts using a microfiber lens cloth.

Inspect the lens barrel and the small gaps between the outer lens barrel and the barrel containing the lens elements. Small debris can become lodged in here and may affect lens performance. Remove the debris using a small needle. Do not use compressed air as this may cause the sand or debris to become further lodged inside the lens.
A thousand thank you's. I have had a pentax 50 1.4 that stopped working a couple of years ago and, since I rarely used it, I just put it aside and then forgot about it. Dug it out today and did as you suggested. Works like a charm now.
12-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vitya Quote
Please post how you get on, it's always good to know who the good guys are.

12-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
repairers

QuoteOriginally posted by vitya Quote
And a couple more. NB I know nothing about these...the first one is an individual who looks like he might offer good individual attention.

MWCameraRepairs

CAMERA REPAIRS, LENS REPAIRS in WEST LONDON , SURREY , TW17 , TW18
12-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you guys!

I will keep you posted definitely.
So far I contacted A.M. Technical Services 2nd link in marcusBMG's link above.

Got a reasonable quote, but as always see when he got it and see whats wrong.
It will take quiet some time to get everything repaired since Christmas is coming up and all, going to do it one by one, but keep you posted!

Cheers
12-21-2013, 04:42 AM   #11

Original Poster
Update!

Yesterday I received back my 17-70mm Sigma. Had a bad water damage luckily the board has not been damaged only lens was very foggy and dirty.
Unfortunately I did not take any before pictures to show the state of the lens.

Anyways as I mentioned, I sent it to Alan Marlow and I believe he gave me a fair estimate and prompt service.
Cleaned it all out now is good as new!

More update will come as I will send the rest of the lenses in.

All in all I could recommend his services in the UK.

Cheers