Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I actually gave serious consideration to it.

I've found a k-m/k2000 with both 18-55 & 50-200 kit lenses for $250. I think I'd sell the kit lenses because I have the 18-55 & the longer 55-300. I'd probably want to get an upgrade & she could use the 18-55.
I almost suggested a K2000. Really a wonderful and under-rated little body. My wife loved hers so much that I couldn't talk her out of it until I said we could give it to her sister. I've seen some terrific images come from it with nothing more than an 18-250 superzoom attached.

As to the K-01, while it is obviously an excellent camera, I'm guessing your daughter wants the whole DSLR experience and using the K-01 can sometimes feel and look more like a PnS. She also may get frustrated with the AF sometimes, just as my wife does. That's something else that can make it feel "less-serious" than a DSLR.

11-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I almost suggested a K2000. Really a wonderful and under-rated little body. My wife loved hers so much that I couldn't talk her out of it until I said we could give it to her sister. I've seen some terrific images come from it with nothing more than an 18-250 superzoom attached.

As to the K-01, while it is obviously an excellent camera, I'm guessing your daughter wants the whole DSLR experience and using the K-01 can sometimes feel and look more like a PnS. She also may get frustrated with the AF sometimes, just as my wife does. That's something else that can make it feel "less-serious" than a DSLR.
Up until the K-3 (which I don't have) all my pentax dlsrs AF made it feel like a "less-serious" dslr... haha
11-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Well, if you want to get her a DSLR and not your hand me down, what about a used K-x with the 18-55mm? Or would that be too much like Dad?
11-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Mom.

Also, while looking for a camera for her, I'm considering her needs/desires in a lens. If I end up with a package that includes lenses that I choose to sell, I'd be looking for a "super zoom" style of lens to be her primary lens. What's a reasonably decent and modestly priced lens covering about 18-28ish through 150-200ish? (Wiggle room on either end of course.)

11-21-2013, 04:36 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This reminds me of a joke we used to have amongst the staff when I worked as a camera salesman.

"I want a camera for my daughter"

"Bring her in and we'll give you an offer for her"
11-21-2013, 05:32 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Mom.
Sorry, I saw just "Dan,"
11-21-2013, 05:37 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
Sorry, I saw just "Dan,"
That's quite common. Most people don't get it until I point it out to them. Break my user name into two words. Dan's Amy.
11-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #23
Site Supporter

When my oldest turned 16 I gave her my K-m then a year and half later when my youngest turned 13 I had upgraded to the K-5 so my oldest got my K-x and my 13 yr old got my K-m. My youngest has became the most interested in photography so after the first of the year she will be getting my K-5 when I upgrade to the K-3 and the wife is learning how to use the K-m.
I say either upgrade yourself and give her the K-x which I am sure she will love or get her a K-m which still takes great photos.

11-21-2013, 07:24 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd buy the cheapest used body you can find. An *ist DS would be an awesome choice. If I would've had a camera like that at her age, my head would've popped off.
11-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I'd buy the cheapest used body you can find. An *ist DS would be an awesome choice. If I would've had a camera like that at her age, my head would've popped off.
I disagree.

The K-X is a great starter camera, The *ist DS is fairly old tech by now.

Upgrading the K-x and giving it to the kid is a nice reward to both mom and daughter.

I doubt very much that a K-x will make a modern 13 year old's head pop off.

Why give the kid almost 10 year old tech with terrible ISO performance?

(Off Topic)
My daughter will have her drivers licence next summer, And she will get her mothers 2008 Jeep Liberty 4wd.
My Wife will buy herself a new Jeep, And everybody will have something decent and safe to drive around in.
I'm not going to buy my kid a 1989 Chevy Cavalier Just so that her head won't pop off.
11-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Billy Joe Quote
wow kind of agree with mills ware, did not even think about a used K-01... I love mine. My Kx sits on the shelf since the K-01 showed up.

It has the K5 sensor and is fun to use.
Mine too, the K-x hasn't been out since we bought the K-01, I mean the K-x is white, the K-01 is white, the K-01 has a much better sensor… and it uses the white K-x lens (18-55) if you want to look really cool.
11-21-2013, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
Upgrading the K-x and giving it to the kid is a nice reward to both mom and daughter.
Took these with an *ist DS:

These were also taken with an *ist DS.

More than good enough for a 13 year old (and probably most grown-ups) IMO.
11-22-2013, 12:26 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok, the price dropped on the k-m/k2000 kit to $200. I pulled the trigger. I think she'll be thrilled with it.

Now, I have extra kit lenses to sell to help finance probably a super zoom.

Current lens list, once everything arrives:
(2) 18-55mm DA Kit lenses
(1) 50-200mm DA
(1) 55-300mm DW
(1) 28mm manual lens
(1) 35mm DA
(1) 35-80mm Pentax F
(1) 80-200mm Pentax F

I'm pretty sure I want to sell one 18-55, the 50-200mm, maybe the F lenses if neither of us like them. I know I want to keep the manual lens. I just bought it, so I want to play with it for a while. I'll probably let her use the 35mm for our next Disney trip in December.
11-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I'm very unhappy at the moment. The k2000 I bought, advertised as sellerrrefurbished & fully functional, has a frozen MF-AF switch. On MF of course. I bought this for my daughter. I've already opened my eBay case. Guess I might be upgrading mine after all & handing down my K-x.
11-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
I disagree.

(Off Topic)
My daughter will have her drivers licence next summer, And she will get her mothers 2008 Jeep Liberty 4wd.
My Wife will buy herself a new Jeep, And everybody will have something decent and safe to drive around in.
I'm not going to buy my kid a 1989 Chevy Cavalier Just so that her head won't pop off.
I disagree. The *ist DS can produce excellent images and it would be a great learning tool for a young kid. It's also quite a bit cheaper than a more modern camera. So, if it gets banged, dropped, lost, or even stolen then there's less regret compared to a costlier camera. Kids are happy to just take pictures and join in on the fun. A used DSLR like the *ist is that plus a great learning tool as her skills mature. An *ist DS + a used 18-55mm DA lens would indeed make most kid's "head pop off" as we are saying here. Heck, it makes my head pop off!

Cars and cameras... two very different realms. I wouldn't compare the two.

Happy Thanksgiving!!