Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Camera Storage and Lithium Batteries

Should the D-LI190 battery be removed when storing your camera for weeks or months? Should they be removed for storage of any duration?
I know chemical batteries need to be removed but I do not know about storage of lithium batteries.
Thanks

11-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think that is necessary. However if I was leaving my camera unused for a year or more I would probably take it out - but if I was doing that I would probably sell it!
11-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Should the D-LI190 battery be removed when storing your camera for weeks or months? Should they be removed for storage of any duration?
I know chemical batteries need to be removed but I do not know about storage of lithium batteries.
Thanks
I know I am being picky, but LiON is chemistry too.

If you remove the battery, you camera will eventually lose all its customized settings. If that is not important to you, remove the battery.

If you leave the battery installed, in addition to any self-discharge, the camera will be slowly sipping at it to keep its current settings. After a year, you may find the battery had fully discharged so you lost the settings anyhow, AND your battery's life is reduced because a full-discharge isn't good for LiON batteries.

The better option is to take the camera out of storage every month or two and rotate batteries, recharging the one you just removed.Firing a few shots at that time to keep lubricants evenly distributed would be a good idea too.
11-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
The better option is to take the camera out of storage every month or two and rotate batteries, recharging the one you just removed.Firing a few shots at that time to keep lubricants evenly distributed would be a good idea too.
+1. Also, leaving the D-LI190 in, will save the internal keep-alive battery from getting destroyed.

11-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed. My at-work D80 was in the shop for more than a month, without its battery. Got it back and had to reset EVERYTHING, took several fiddling sessions to get back all the tweaks and whatnot that had been set over several years' use. (geez, I KNOW I had this setting customized, why can't I find it now? Turns out the D80 has multiple menu levels for the "custom" settings and the default is not to show the deeper ones... string and breadcrumbs...)