Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Corrupt SD card?

I'm currently transferring some photos from two SD cards to the computer, using a card reader (as I always do).

When I tried to access the files, the folder froze for some minutes - I then tried to copy them to the computer, and there was a considerable slowdown (halt/pause, actually) during the copy process of some photos - about 4-5 photos out of 300 photos on each card.

I've experienced this once before, maybe 2 years ago. I'm not sure how old the cards I used are, however back then I managed to transfer all files just fine (except the major slowdown/freeze) and after formatting the card, it has been has been working fine.

The difference now is though, that current photos are for clients whereas before, they we just some "random" shots. Naturally I'd like my cards to function properly, but especially so when it's paid gig related. I'm wondering, is this a random and non-vital fluke and should I be worried and even stop using the card?

I personally think It might be related to he camera, because 2 cards failing at the same time would seem a bit odd.

Card 1 is a SanDisk SDHC Class 10 card.
Card 2 is a SanDisk SDHC Class 10 card.

I must also add that since I do weddings, I get to fill up my cards all the time. 300 pics on each card would be a low number.

11-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
To have two SanDisks cards fail at the same time, I would have said the chances would be very slim to none.

I use SanDisk Extreme cards exclusively and never had a problem, but I must admit I renew them every couple of months, I treat them as a consumable items, like film used to be.
11-24-2013, 12:47 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you used these cards successfully in that reader before? Had a similar problem in my office, turned out the reader was the culprit, it did not support HC cards. Transferring files by the USB cable (connecting camera to computer) worked without a problem. (have since replaced the reader to a newer one that supports SDHC)

Can you use the USB cable to transfer? A bit more tedious but it might save the files.
11-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are tools available to check an SD card. Even Windows has built-in error checking through right-clicking on the card icon. However, are you using the same card-reader as with the previous error? There's a possibility it could be the reader, rather than your camera, if so.

11-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have used these cards before. I'm not entirely sure, but I think the newest is now about 8-9 months old.

I completed import and preview building in LR. It doesn't look like I have any corrupt/non-importable photos.

It's exactly like the first time I experienced this. Some issues during the copy process, but nothing wrong with the pics.

Good point about the card reader. It could be a cause as well.
11-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
RobA_Oz: thanks, I'll look into that. Yes, it's the very same card reader.
11-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I had an increasing number of problems reading cards about a year ago. Bought a new reader and problems disappeared. Agree with Julie - try a new reader or cable it. BTW, bought the failed reader from Best Buy at a premium and it didn't last long - just saying....

11-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@zafar, good news, glad you were able to save the files. I would suspect the reader, might be worth getting a new one; they are very inexpensive nowadays.
11-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It seems it very well might be the card reader. I just copied all files from one card, but directly from the camera using the USB cable and didn't experience any hiccups.

I'm super relieved that it's not card and even camera related.
11-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You might check the reader for dust or debris in the SD slot -- had that issue once, too.
11-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
You might check the reader for dust or debris in the SD slot -- had that issue once, too.
I bet there might be tons of dust in there - been a while since I cleaned my computer
11-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In my office it was cat hair...one of the "Store cats" had taken a shine to snoozing under my desk, where all those warm gadgets are... a little squirt of canned air blew it out and all was well... until HC cards showed up...
11-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
It seems it very well might be the card reader. I just copied all files from one card, but directly from the camera using the USB cable and didn't experience any hiccups.

I'm super relieved that it's not card and even camera related.
Cool! I have been having problems with my reader too. It works fine with my 2 GB cards, but stalls with my recently acquired 16 GB card.

Steve
11-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some of the older SanDisk readers can be upgraded with a firmware fix (go to the SanDisk site for model numbers, etc., if your reader is a SanDisk brand), some can't. That was the case with the one that I had trouble with in the office, could not be upgraded by firmware, we just replaced it with a newer one.
11-27-2013, 03:08 AM   #15

Determine the type of SD card you have. If it is 2GB or less, then it is a standard SD card. If it is 4GB or greater, then it is a high capacity or SDHC card. (There are some 4GB standard SD cards but most are SDHC). An SDHC reader is required to read the high capacity cards since the memory allocation formatting is different. If your data is on an SDHC card, it may be intact but you'll need the SDHC device to read it. Some devices, such as readers and cameras, may have software downloads available to upgrade the device to read the SDHC cards. Go to the device manufacturer's website to determine whether such an upgrade is available.

Insert your SD card into the card reader. If no drive letter is assigned to it, then the computer isn't reading it. In some cases, the reader may be assigned a drive letter but when you click on it you get the message "Please insert disk into drive E:" indicating that it isn't reading the card.

Sometimes a particular device may not read an SD card while other devices will. If you don't have another device, ask a friend to try reading your card.

You may find that your computer accesses the card, but won't read the files on it. Try several different files on the card. If some of them read and some don't, then one or more files may be corrupt. There are numerous file recovery programs available; some of them are free. If certain vital parts of the file are corrupted it won't be recoverable. Sometimes scanning the SD card will fix things. It usually won't correct a bad file but it may be worth a try. To do this, locate the card in "My Computer" or Windows Explorer" and right-click on it. From the pop-up menu, click on "Properties." A new window showing a pie chart displays the used and available space on the disk. Select the "Tools" tab, then click on the "Error Checking" button. Click the check box for fixing file system errors and click the "Start" button. The process should only take a few seconds.

In some cases, none of the files can be read. Sometimes the directory will list the file names but the files can't be accessed. In other cases, the file names are garbage characters or they may not show up at all. Right-click on the drive letter and select "Properties." The pie chart will show the used space on the card. If it shows all or almost all free space, then either the files have been deleted or the directory has been erased. In this case, a file recovery or undelete program may help (but don't count on it).

If you card reads okay but you can't save a file, the card may be write protected. On the edge of the card is a small slide switch usually labeled "Lock." If this switch is slid away from the connector end of the card, then it is "locked" or write protected. To save or modify files on the card, the switch must be in the unlocked position or toward the connector end of the card.

If you still can't read or write to the card, your files are probably lost. There are some disk diagnostic tools available, but some of them won't work on memory cards. If you have resigned yourself to the loss of your files, you may still use the card by reformatting it. To do so, right-click on the drive letter and select the format. This will erase everything on the card so be sure you have copied everything you can to another drive. When the card is reformatted the directory structure is recreated so you should now have full access to the card. If the card still won't work, it's time to discard it