Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2007, 08:13 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Newbie: ist*DL vs. K100D? And a lens question, too...

Greetings. First time poster to the forum...

We currently have an ist*DL w/ Sigma 18-125 for our everyday lens, but would like to get something better suited for wildlife & zoo photography in the 300mm range.

I have seen decent reviews for the Sigma 70-300 APO and the similar Tamron and think we'd be happy enough with either of those. But what would be the next step up in the 300mm range? How about the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX APO IF AF. A fairly big price difference, but the IF would make life with a filter easier... Any other recommendations in a similar price range?

Also, while we have the ist*DL now, I wouldn't mind upgrading to the K100D. How much better is the K100D vs. the ist*DL exactly? Would it be better to hold off on the new lens and just get the new K100D body instead?

Thanks!

01-19-2007, 10:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi there-

I just switched from the DL to K100. I don't see a lot of difference between them, other than the shake reduction, which is pretty nifty. Bear in mind that I've only got 150 exposures on the K100 - it's a recent switch and I've been busy. But it's basically the same camera with SR and slightly different firmware. Any quality differences between them will be negligible, so your decision will come down to whether you really want SR. With those big lenses, it might be very handy, but of course you're trying to decide lens vs body! If you habitually use a tripod, of course, SR won't make any difference to you.

I don't know anything about the lenses, I'm sure you'll get lots of input from others. Enjoy your LBA!

Julie
01-19-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I had the DL and sold it to buy the K100D. Shake reduction is the most obvious difference (and the reason I switched), but there are other differences. I believe the K100D has more AF points, of different types (more sophisiticated?). I think there are a couple of other differences, too. The K100D uses P-TTL flash, and I think the DL uses TTL, but I may be wrong.

To me, the shake reduction is the biggest reason to switch. Everything else seems about the same in real-world usage except for better low-light performance. The shake reduction really does work.